ACCIDENTS KEEP PILING UP

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
The only way you'll get back to the "good old days" is if you magically make 2/3 of the population here today disappear. But kiss your grocery stores, cutesy stores, restaurants, doctors and Home Depots/Lowes goodbye.

As far as stepped up enforcement goes, do that and some of you would transition from bitching about accidents to bitching about getting a ticket when "there are real criminals to catch".

In Pete's case I'm guessing you had an 82 year old whose family should have yanked his license the day before yesterday.

Reactions: rio

glhs837

Power with Control
The only way you'll get back to the "good old days" is if you magically make 2/3 of the population here today disappear. But kiss your grocery stores, cutesy stores, restaurants, doctors and Home Depots/Lowes goodbye.

As far as stepped up enforcement goes, do that and some of you would transition from bitching about accidents to bitching about getting a ticket when "there are real criminals to catch".

In Pete's case I'm guessing you had an 82 year old whose family should have yanked his license the day before yesterday.

The only ticket I would have issue with is a speeding ticket on 235 on an empty road at 9am on a Sunday. And only that because that shows me they are not enforcing for deterrence of crash causing behavior. Its the equivalent of sitting in Flat Broke Shooters parking lot issuing citations for improper transportation. Or hanging out in Walmart and getting people trying a grape for theft. Sure, both are violations of the law, but these are not the people causing societal damage.

I want more enforcement, but I want it to focus on the things that are causing crashes. Its not people speeding through school zones. And its not people going 58 on 235 between Gate 1 and San Souci. The main two in my opinion are people on cell phones and people failing to yield.

DaSDGuy

Me thinks you would get, at least, a 50% reduction in one car accidents by having a cell disabler in the car. Also, maybe it's just me, but I think cell usage is way ahead of drunk driving as a cause of most accidents. The funny thing is most people that I know agree that texting is a probable cause of a lot of accidents yet if I go anyway with them driving, they all text and drive..classic it won't happen to me-ism.
The Communications Act of 1934, as amended, prohibits the operation, manufacture, importation, marketing, and sale of equipment designed to jam or otherwise interfere with authorized radio communications, such as radar, global positioning system (GPS), and cell phone communications. These jamming devices pose significant risks to public safety and potentially compromise other radio communications services.

OccamsRazor

Lots of people pressing their luck that are driving around locally.
The last time my car insurance went up unexpectedly, I called the company and was told it was due to the amount of accidents in the area AND the dramatic increase in uninsured motorists :oops:
Think about this the next time you are on the road and see multiple vehicles with expired tags that are six months to a year or more expired. A lot of people eager to shout "They are probably waiting to get their tags in the mail" but that is total BS.
If their tags have been expired that long, you can bet they are NOT carrying insurance and you want to give them PLENTY of room.

MnM

partner was in an accident on Sunday, totaled his car, the at fault driver was unlicensed, unregistered and uninsured. At fault driver has over nine summonses for excessive speeding, driving without a license, without registration without insurance. just pays a few hundred dollars and does it again, never any jail time. my partner, thank God, was not hurt worse.

stgislander

PREMO Member
Ouch
Wow. Missed that one by less than 15 minutes.

PeoplesElbow

They got me yesterday and smashed my Jeep near Firehouse Subs. 82 year old speeding hit me from behind and spun me up onto the sidewalk into a hydrant. I was in the slow lane in a line and the left 2 lanes were clear. Looked in the drivers side mirror and was just looking to move left when I saw him coming behind me and he started left slightly so I stayed. He was coming fast and I realized he wasn't moving left fast enough. I started to move right into the turn lane to avoid it but he hit me anyway. He ended up over the bank into a parking lot facing south in the bushes.
Obviously it was because you were going too slow and his speeding and being old wasn't the cause.

ginwoman

Lots of people pressing their luck that are driving around locally.
The last time my car insurance went up unexpectedly, I called the company and was told it was due to the amount of accidents in the area AND the dramatic increase in uninsured motorists :oops:
Think about this the next time you are on the road and see multiple vehicles with expired tags that are six months to a year or more expired. A lot of people eager to shout "They are probably waiting to get their tags in the mail" but that is total BS.
If their tags have been expired that long, you can bet they are NOT carrying insurance and you want to give them PLENTY of room.
My auto renewal went up $437. First increase in years. Uninsured motorists coverage is important to have for sure.

Wickedwrench

Stubborn and opinionated
My auto renewal went up $437. First increase in years. Uninsured motorists coverage is important to have for sure.
Watch your personal injury protection as well. Most policies only have $2500. I was thankful I had $10,000 on mine as the bills kept coming when I was out of work for 3 months.

3CATSAILOR

The only ticket I would have issue with is a speeding ticket on 235 on an empty road at 9am on a Sunday. And only that because that shows me they are not enforcing for deterrence of crash causing behavior. Its the equivalent of sitting in Flat Broke Shooters parking lot issuing citations for improper transportation. Or hanging out in Walmart and getting people trying a grape for theft. Sure, both are violations of the law, but these are not the people causing societal damage.

I want more enforcement, but I want it to focus on the things that are causing crashes. Its not people speeding through school zones. And its not people going 58 on 235 between Gate 1 and San Souci. The main two in my opinion are people on cell phones and people failing to yield.
Amen to that!

sunshine98

Was driving down the right lane of 235 late this afternoon. Moderate traffic between Mechanicsville and Hollywood was rolling along calmly a little above the speed limit. Out of nowhere, a car (maybe an Accord) flies by ON THE SHOULDER doing at least 70. Kicking up all sorts of dirt and debris and barely keeping it out of the grass while blasting by people's driveways. Passed the line of cars and cut back over and continued lane surfing out of sight.
It's that mindset that causes accidents. Why does anyone think that is OK?

DaSDGuy

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Was driving down the right lane of 235 late this afternoon. Moderate traffic between Mechanicsville and Hollywood was rolling along calmly a little above the speed limit. Out of nowhere, a car (maybe an Accord) flies by ON THE SHOULDER doing at least 70. Kicking up all sorts of dirt and debris and barely keeping it out of the grass while blasting by people's driveways. Passed the line of cars and cut back over and continued lane surfing out of sight.
I was sitting in the "exit lane" at Dyson Building Center, waiting for a break in Rt 5 traffic. The shoulder there is roughly a full lane wide and, as it turned out, it's a good thing the nose of my vehicle was not sticking out past the actual parking lot exit because...a car suddenly appeared out of nowhere, ripping south passing all the other vehicles on shoulder of Rt 5 south and zipping past me. Must have been doing 70 at least. I don't know why I held back from nosing on to to the shoulder that day, but I make a point of if now.

ginwoman

Because they are special and the rules don't apply to them

luvmygdaughters

They got me yesterday and smashed my Jeep near Firehouse Subs. 82 year old speeding hit me from behind and spun me up onto the sidewalk into a hydrant. I was in the slow lane in a line and the left 2 lanes were clear. Looked in the drivers side mirror and was just looking to move left when I saw him coming behind me and he started left slightly so I stayed. He was coming fast and I realized he wasn't moving left fast enough. I started to move right into the turn lane to avoid it but he hit me anyway. He ended up over the bank into a parking lot facing south in the bushes.
Wow! Glad you're okay!

somdwatch

I'll need all of y'all phone #s, because as a nondrinker, I'll be not driving any more if I have to blow in a breathalyzer to start a car.

Y'all are taking turns driving me everywhere I've gotta go.
I'll build and electric drone car to drive you around while I have an FPV view of your ride!

I bet I could charge admission to the FPV view and cover my costs of the build and then be entertained as you see all of St. Marys County!!🤣🤣🤣

frequentflier

happy to be living
The Calvert Co Sheriff's Blotter reported this morning that in the week of April 1-April 7th, there were 46 Motor Vehicle Crashes. Holy $hit, Batman! Forty six!!