ACCIDENTS KEEP PILING UP

DaSDGuy

Except if the vehicle on 235 is significantly exceeding the speed limit, its not really a Tom Hodges problem, is it? Looking south you have a clear sightline for almost a quarter mile. About 1400 feet or so. Takes a speed limit driver 20 seconds to make that distance. Takes a 120mph rider right around 8 seconds.
Or the suv looked for another 4 wheel vehicle at a glance and didn't see the rider.

glhs837

Power with Control
Or the suv looked for another 4 wheel vehicle at a glance and didn't see the rider.

Could be, but given the multiple reports of a bike heading north at a high rate, passing traffic dangerously, it sorta fits. Related, that morning the wife and I were Target way in back of the lot where I park her pretty red convertible, and as I was getting back in the car, I heard the distinctive sound of a bike being wound out to the north of us........ That was around 10:20 or so. I even made a crack about the Future Organ Donors of America.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Could be, but given the multiple reports of a bike heading north at a high rate, passing traffic dangerously, it sorta fits. Related, that morning the wife and I were Target way in back of the lot where I park her pretty red convertible, and as I was getting back in the car, I heard the distinctive sound of a bike being wound out to the north of us........ That was around 10:20 or so. I even made a crack about the Future Organ Donors of America.
I have witnessed it myself. But I always do a double-take and have averted disaster.

PeoplesElbow

Except if the vehicle on 235 is significantly exceeding the speed limit, its not really a Tom Hodges problem, is it? Looking south you have a clear sightline for almost a quarter mile. About 1400 feet or so. Takes a speed limit driver 20 seconds to make that distance. Takes a 120mph rider right around 8 seconds.
Very few cars travel the speed limit there, they just get out of congestion so they speed up significantly. A crossing there without a light was just a bad idea. I'm not for another light btw, I am against that crossing.

Our main artery would be so much safer with limited access, and there would be far fewer days where we have to sit not moving due to an accident.

PeoplesElbow

I know someone who use to race motorcycles professionally, had been in a few on track accidents of over 100mph, says on the track designed for safety it's not "too bad". He is adamant that these people around here riding sport bikes are just stupid and tempting fate.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Very few cars travel the speed limit there, they just get out of congestion so they speed up significantly. A crossing there without a light was just a bad idea. I'm not for another light btw, I am against that crossing.

Our main artery would be so much safer with limited access, and there would be far fewer days where we have to sit not moving due to an accident.
They will never put a light there. The St. John's light is literally yards away. If anything, the kid may have thought he could have made a yellow light, rather than slow down and stop for a red.

glhs837

Power with Control

But thats my point. I don't think that intersection has had very many accidents compared to other intersection. We had this conversation when it was done, and I think there's been maybe two or three.

Yes, people are speeding up there. Maybe as high as 70, but I think 60-65 is more common. I also think this rider was way above that. Enough so that virtually nobody would be looking that far down the road and expecting what they see to reach them. People do subconscious time speed distance calculations when judging oncoming traffic. Motorcycles, with single or even close dual headlights like a lot of sportbikes give no real visual clues like the widely spaced car headlights. So it's hard to judge how far away they are to start. Leads to what the BRits call SMIDSY.

Now, compound that with a bike travelling twice or more than the legal limit...... That bike wasnt going 70, of that I'm pretty sure.

We dont design traffic safety around people going more than twice the legal limit.

Would 235 be better off as a limited access road? Sure. Thats never going to happen though. What could happen, but won't, is enforcement. Hell, people wonder why everyone is driving like lunatics these last few years. I wonder myself. I'm a fast driver, but even I look around and think I'm in a Mad Max movie. That report linked above tells the tale. When you stop enforcing, people stop behaving.

glhs837

Power with Control
They will never put a light there. The St. John's light is literally yards away. If anything, the kid may have thought he could have made a yellow light, rather than slow down and stop for a red.

That lights another 1/4 mile down the road. About the same distance as the Bean intersection the other way. Which at 120 mph is seven seconds away..........

glhs837

Power with Control
When traffic is super heavy, I don't usually use that intersection to go SB. I'll go down MDRd to the light at Outback. When going NB, I usually pop out at Dean Lumber. Straight line of sight and the St. John's light regulates the traffic. Easy to see.

Same here, I quite often route myself according to the path of least resistance, which is not always the shortest distance. Coming north on Willows to go north on 235, I take a right on Great Mills, then a left. GMR has a higher light priority so 95% of the time, you end up on 235 sooner than going straight on Shangri-La.

Some intersections I avoid going through in certain directions. Taking the left from Willows onto GMR, that alignment is wacked so I take a left onto Shangri-La and come out down by the old Burger King.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
the path of least resistance, which is not always the shortest distance.
It makes me mad when people try to do things like cut across 2 lanes of traffic at an intersection to go the opposite way, when it would be easier, faster and far less stressful to flow into the traffic and make a u-turn at a convenient point. People get focused on "I have to go this way" and lose sight of the bigger picture.

Same if they "miss" a turnoff, panic, slam on the brakes and cut across lanes to make a turn. Just say "oh well" and make the next convenient turn or u-turn. No stress.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
It makes me mad when people try to do things like cut across 2 lanes of traffic at an intersection to go the opposite way, when it would be easier, faster and far less stressful to flow into the traffic and make a u-turn at a convenient point. People get focused on "I have to go this way" and lose sight of the bigger picture.

Same if they "miss" a turnoff, panic, slam on the brakes and cut across lanes to make a turn. Just say "oh well" and make the next convenient turn or u-turn. No stress.
Like the tards coming out of WaWa at Buck Hewitt during rush hour and want to cross all lanes to make a U-turn to go south, rather than go up to San Souci and make the U-turn. Those people should be burned at the stake.

Grumpy

Like the tards coming out of WaWa at Buck Hewitt during rush hour and want to cross all lanes to make a U-turn to go south, rather than go up to San Souci and make the U-turn. Those people should be burned at the stake.
LOL..exactly what i was thinking of

LightRoasted

If I may ...
For your consideration ...

Yupper. Sometimes one must go north in order to go south.

glhs837

Power with Control
seth meyers burn them at the stake GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers