ACCIDENTS KEEP PILING UP

glhs837

Power with Control
Dumb question here..... what is POV?
I had a friend recently get a warning for talking on the phone.
Not a dumb question at all. It stands for point of view. And I suspect the reason behind a warning instead of a citation is that they're really afraid that the only evidence is hearsay. And that leads to a lot of people who want to fight them in court tickets that are fought in court cost more money. Whatever you pay for court cost if you lose in court doesn't come close to covering the pay pay of all those people involved. That's why all automated enforcement systems are set up and designed to absolutely make it incredibly hard for you to fight in court

3CATSAILOR

Point of View
POV = Personally Owned Vehicle.. Yeah, my niece with her two kids in the back got a warning for texting while driving. I would have gave her a ticket. She knows it is wrong and did it anyhow. And she risked the safety of her own children. I am sure she knows she is addicted to the cell phone. Too many people are very addicted to it. This is simple - If the tires are moving, don't be on the phone if you are driving.

3CATSAILOR

I have seen bus after bus not stopping at Spring Ridge Middle School for the stop sign all the time. I have never seen any police enforcement for it.
Apparently the school buses at Spring Ridge Middle purposely not stop for the stop sign on a regular basis. And it is with kids in the bus. This happens so often, I am not sure why MSP has not stopped one or more of the buses. I would.

PeoplesElbow

Apparently the school buses at Spring Ridge Middle purposely not stop for the stop sign on a regular basis. And it is with kids in the bus. This happens so often, I am not sure why MSP has not stopped one or more of the buses. I would.
I've had to do maneuvers to avoid school buses entering Great Mills Road making rights on red without stopping and failing to yield right of way.

3CATSAILOR

I've had to do maneuvers to avoid school buses entering Great Mills Road making rights on red without stopping and failing to yield right of way.
What I thought was interesting is when I reported it to the MSP and requested some type of enforcement effort, they act like "why are you reporting it"? They even asked did I talk to the Board of Education Transportation Supervisor. - True story!. I understand why the Corporal at the desk asked for my name and cell number. But, asking for my address as well, I didn't understand why. I am reporting to them multiple violations of Maryland's traffic laws - "with kids on the bus!" They seemed like they could care less. I am not sure why. UNLESS, they have a tight "friendship" with the BOE and therefore, choose to let violations by the BOE be ingnored. If necessary, I can contact Roland Butler. I prefer not to. But, if they choose to ingore the law, I certainly will.

3CATSAILOR

Accidents keep piling up. I guess it has become something we accept as part of the risk. Last Thursday on 235 I was headed North bound in the St. James area. A car came head on in my lane. I got out of the way barely in time. Most people don't survive head ons. Later on and in to the evening on the way home, I observed at least ten vehicles going across the white line and on to the shoulder and back. A guy was driving down the shoulder instead of the road. He eventually came back on the road. Everywhere you turn, you hear on the radio, on line News, the Enterprise and the County Times and even every now and then the Washington D.C. TV stations about a single vehicle that went off of the road in Southern Maryland and hit a tree, a car or a house. Usually folks do not survive these type of accidents.
Today I went to Prince Frederick North on Route 4. Police were everywhere on Route 4 working radar. I came back South in to SMC from the North end. 1 MSP in the fast lane in Charlotte Hall. He was cleaning up the left over of yet another accident. None were seen any time thereafter. No wonder why 235 from Mechanicsville South is the Indy 500.

3CATSAILOR

As I noted, they move them, they dont remove them.

As noted. they above are all the places a camera could be.

Right now, they are at the below locations, which has seven listed, although maybe some are co-located. The 2023 report said they only had five cameras, so maybe they got more?

The current automated speed camera enforcement sites are located at
1. Northern Middle School Northern High School,
2. Windy Hill Elementary School
3. The Calverton School,
4. Huntingtown Elementary School
5. Calvert Country School
6. Mt. Harmony Elementary School
7. Dowell Elementary School.
If it is truly about School "safety" as we are told in St. Mary's County, then why are the speed cameras still active after School hours? Does it still sound like a valid concern for School "safety" if no kids are there?

willie

POV = Personally Owned Vehicle.. Yeah, my niece with her two kids in the back got a warning for texting while driving. I would have gave her a ticket. She knows it is wrong and did it anyhow. And she risked the safety of her own children. I am sure she knows she is addicted to the cell phone. Too many people are very addicted to it. This is simple - If the tires are moving, don't be on the phone if you are driving.
Lately, I have seen POV used where Point of view or Personally owned vehicle just did not fit. A lot of the junk you see anymore is from Tiktok and it has its own meaning.... "It is often used to precede hyper-specificng...." whatever that means??

Tech

Yep, done that myself a time or two, same result. If they are crossing the double, I'll honk at them, and keep doing it until they straighten up and fly right. And no, I see no evidence at all that there has been any effort to increase traffic safety. Lip service radar and laser enforcement on occasion.

Nobody is asking for new laws. Just deterrent enforcement of the most common cause, cell phones. Went to Airport view drive from Park Hall Road and back Wednesday around 130pm. I saw six people with phones in hand looking at them. Dedicate an officer three hours three days a week to just look for that. Word will spread pretty damn quick. If the " he said she said" thing is an issue, rigging a motorcycle dashcam DVR system to show the officers POV into other cars that only freezes the footage to storage when a button is pressed would take me about 20 minutes. Mount one of the systems two cameras on the end of the light bar right above the officers head. Officer sees an offense, hits the button. Show the offender the video, issue ticket

Great system for this.
Of course the day the no cell phone law went into effect had a car swerving in front of me, trooper typing into his cell.

glhs837

Power with Control
If it is truly about School "safety" as we are told in St. Mary's County, then why are the speed cameras still active after School hours? Does it still sound like a valid concern for School "safety" if no kids are there?

The justification is that we want people always slowing, after school activities, ya know.

3CATSAILOR

Lately, I have seen POV used where Point of view or Personally owned vehicle just did not fit. A lot of the junk you see anymore is from Tiktok and it has its own meaning.... "It is often used to precede hyper-specificng...." whatever that means??
Yeah, I am not familar with the other stuff. It sounds like the Feds may eventually get rid of Tic Toc. A lot of people are already addicted to it though.

glhs837

Power with Control
Oh, I see. Thank you for the clarification.

I mean its still BS, seeing as we really dont have wrecks in school zones caused by speeding. And I'm pretty sure in the .ast 50 years, you cannot find an incident of a child being hit by a car in a school zone, speeding or otherwise. Back when they were pushing for these statewide, the best they had was a 17 year old girl hit at like 7pm by a car tat wasnt speeding, outside he crosswalks. And she had I think a broken arm.......

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
As I noted, they move them, they dont remove them.

The Calvert County Safety for Students Enforcement Program is in effect year-round.  The speed cameras will be moved randomly between the school zones. 

Do they wan't slower children?

Because that's how you get slower children.

Make those zones 75mph and we'll have faster and more attentive kids.

... Eventually.

Tech

Do they wan't slower children?

Because that's how you get slower children.

Make those zones 75mph and we'll have faster and more attentive kids.

... Eventually.
My high school did not have a school zone but the public high next door did. Yep, the slow kids.