Amazon Prime $72 today only

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Guess TJ is out of govt subsidies this late in the month.

Amazon used to be a good deal, but not so much anymore here in Fl, where sales tax is now charged due to two distribution centers up and running in the TPA area.

that is pretty much EVERYWHERE Now .....

JeJeTe

Happiness
To answer your question, yes you would have to subscribe to Hulu or Netflix......but look into Roku 3.... I am getting ready to drop cable and have looked at all the options and Roku 3 looks like the best choice. http://www.cnet.com/news/chromecast-vs-apple-tv-vs-roku-3-which-media-streamer-should-you-buy/

These are both great articles! Thanks! :huggy: So I'd buy the Roku to give me access to these apps, get necessary subscritions and then access at will? Is that right?

JeJeTe

Happiness
My sister gave me a Blu-Ray/DVD/Smart player for Christmas. All I had to do was HDMI from it to the back of my TV. It picks up my WIFI signal from my router and all I had to do was sign up for NETFLIX and we love it.

My son got a smart tv and smart Blu Ray player for Christmas. And his was very easy to set up.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
I love my Amazon Prime. The free expedited shipping, sure, but you also get all sorts of free movies and TV shows to stream. Then there's the music streaming and the cloud storage. I think it's definitely worth it.

:yeahthat:

After ICit raved about it I finally went for it last Summer. I am now using Amazon for more purchases of regular stuff because free shipping is awesome. Reminds me I need to look online for some Twinnings Tea and a heavy duty tarp.

Chris0nllyn

So I'm a techno dummy that still pays $90 for satelite every month.....I've been giving thoughts to cancelling that and then I would need to subscribe to Hulu and Netflix, right? And the only thing I'd miss is live events. I'm also not sure if my tv is a smart tv. So I'm assuming I'd need this. :lol:

To answer your question, yes you would have to subscribe to Hulu or Netflix......but look into Roku 3.... I am getting ready to drop cable and have looked at all the options and Roku 3 looks like the best choice. http://www.cnet.com/news/chromecast-vs-apple-tv-vs-roku-3-which-media-streamer-should-you-buy/

Not to mention internet service. You'll need that. Cable seems to have cornered the market so far, unless you are lucky enough to have FIOS in your area. So expect to pay $50-$60 a month just for internet service, on top of the streaming provider subscriptions.

Still, it can be cheaper, much cheaper for some, than paying for both cable/satellite and internet.

JeJeTe

Happiness

Awesome! You are a wealth of knowledge!

Not to mention internet service. You'll need that. Cable seems to have cornered the market so far, unless you are lucky enough to have FIOS in your area. So expect to pay $50-$60 a month just for internet service, on top of the streaming provider subscriptions.

Still, it can be cheaper, much cheaper for some, than paying for both cable/satellite and internet.

I have basic internet through Metrocast so I would have to up my package if I did this route.

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
:yeahthat:

After ICit raved about it I finally went for it last Summer. I am now using Amazon for more purchases of regular stuff because free shipping is awesome. Reminds me I need to look online for some Twinnings Tea and a heavy duty tarp.

Love helping people spend money!!!
:yay:

Christy

b*tch rocket
I am pathetic. I have cable, PLUS Amazon Prime, Netflix, AND Hulu. We have 2 Roku's, 2 Xbox 1's, an Xbox 360 and that Amazon stick that is like a Roku. I really should cancel cable, but that would entail actually going to Metrocrap and turning in all of my cable boxes and such. :ohwell:

stgislander

PREMO Member
I am pathetic. I have cable, PLUS Amazon Prime, Netflix, AND Hulu. We have 2 Roku's, 2 Xbox 1's, an Xbox 360 and that Amazon stick that is like a Roku. I really should cancel cable, but that would entail actually going to Metrocrap and turning in all of my cable boxes and such. :ohwell:

You know, that Amazon Fire TV Stick commercial with Gary Busey never gets old.

KDENISE977

Does anyone know about that Showbox app? my husband downloaded it on his phone, and bought some little plug thingy to plug into the TV and it mirrors what's streaming on his phone... we watched Gone Girl last week, it was great !!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Thanks.

Back on topic to the thread: Have you watched any of those British series available with Amazon Prime? Are any of them worth the time (or perhaps more importantly, not worth the time)?

Downton Abbey is pretty good.

Dakota

~~~~~~~
Downton Abbey is pretty good.

I love Downton Abbey and you know... they post those episodes the day after they air. I get it off of my OTA antenna.

I am feeling so sorry for Lady Edith right now and you just never know what is going to come out of Violet Crawley's mouth... but what a cool grandmother she would be to have...

Dakota

~~~~~~~

:lol: That sounds like us just add in a Wii & Chromecast, PLUS I have 4 TVs connected to an OTA antenna.... in fact, I find myself watching Escape, Grit, Bounce, PBS.... and my box from Directv has to be reset often because it never stays on anymore. I'm just not in the mood to have that conversation yet. :ohwell: But I know I should soon... just think the money savings in 1 year would pay for a wonderful trip for a week - maybe even 2 weeks somewhere.

And there is this article that has stuck with me... about our set top boxes using so much electric.

http://www.popsci.com/gadgets/article/2011-06/least-electric-bill-murdering-dvrs-every-provider

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
:lol: That sounds like us just add in a Wii & Chromecast, PLUS I have 4 TVs connected to an OTA antenna.... in fact, I find myself watching Escape, Grit, Bounce, PBS.... and my box from Directv has to be reset often because it never stays on anymore. I'm just not in the mood to have that conversation yet. :ohwell: But I know I should soon... just think the money savings in 1 year would pay for a wonderful trip for a week - maybe even 2 weeks somewhere.

And there is this article that has stuck with me... about our set top boxes using so much electric.

http://www.popsci.com/gadgets/article/2011-06/least-electric-bill-murdering-dvrs-every-provider

I am in the process of getting each TV Box setup on power strips so the power can be cut to them. With 3 TV's hooked up, it should make a big difference if they are only getting electricity when in use.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
I am in the process of getting each TV Box setup on power strips so the power can be cut to them. With 3 TV's hooked up, it should make a big difference if they are only getting electricity when in use.

ok now what is wrong with this scenario? I need to leave the DVR box on or it'll not be able to record the stuff I have programmed Waaaaa.