Amazon Prime $72 today only

PeoplesElbow

I am in the process of getting each TV Box setup on power strips so the power can be cut to them. With 3 TV's hooked up, it should make a big difference if they are only getting electricity when in use.

Over your lifetime you will be lucky to recoup the cost of the power strips, if that was the reason you bought them for.

PeoplesElbow

That article said that those boxes can use more electricity than a refrigerator if I recall correctly.

Thats not true, your refrigerator is the 2nd or third biggest user of electricity in your house behind heating/cooling, and water heater if it is electric, everything else is down in the weeds.

Unless of course you are using some serious grow bulbs to grow pot inside.

Dakota

~~~~~~~
Thats not true, your refrigerator is the 2nd or third biggest user of electricity in your house behind heating/cooling, and water heater if it is electric, everything else is down in the weeds.

My husband said the same thing but Ark is referring to the article I posted about our set top boxes being hogs of electricity, equal to a fridge. And just because there is an article on the internet doesn't make it true but does make you think. :eyebrow:

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH how did you know? :jerry::smack:

I think maybe it depends on how many boxes you have. Most homes have at least 2 but many times 3 or 4 or even 5. So if you add them up, I bet they can compete with a refrigerator? Let's do the research and see shall we?

Okay here is what I was able to calculate using this website:

http://michaelbluejay.com/electricity/howmuch.html

Fridge 2001+ = 53 kWh per month on 24/7 for 31 days
HD Cable box = 33 kWh per month on 24/7 for 31 days

So even if you only have 2 cable boxes you are using more electricity at 66 kWh than your 53 kWh fridge.

I have 3 boxes so that's 99 kWh for the candle boxes vs. 53 kWh for the fridge.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Guess TJ is out of govt subsidies this late in the month.

Amazon used to be a good deal, but not so much anymore here in Fl, where sales tax is now charged due to two distribution centers up and running in the TPA area.

Not sure if it is open yet, but they are opening one in Baltimore.

I have paid MD taxes on my last few purchases

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Okay here is what I was able to calculate using this website:

http://michaelbluejay.com/electricity/howmuch.html

Fridge 2001+ = 53 kWh per month on 24/7 for 31 days
HD Cable box = 33 kWh per month on 24/7 for 31 days

hmmm ....

Refrigerator - 22 CF, side-by-side, new

Hours in use 730
KHW Used: 56
Months in Use: 12
Annual KW: 672

Cost $94

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-power-hog-20140617-story.html#page=1

Cheryl Williamsen, a Los Alamitos architect, has three of the boxes leased from her cable provider in her home, but she had no idea how much power they consumed until recently, when she saw a rating on the back for as much as 500 watts — about the same as a washing machine.

well it really is a Computer .... not just a signal converter

but what should be bigger concern ... every device that has a display is burning juice ..

Cable Box, DVD Player
... Fridge, Microwave, Stove
... but what about those wall warts - phone chargers, cordless phone bases ...

it all adds up ...

Last edited:
Downton Abbey is pretty good.

I've been watching this show for the last week or so and enjoying it. Thanks.

The Dowager Countess (Violet) is one of my favorite TV show characters now. The character is sneakily deep and insightful and she's freakin' hilarious.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
really

.... make your choice, TV shows or Save Electricity

I feel a great need for Ice Cream from Miller Farm and it's YOUR fault ............... thank you very much Mmmmmmmmm. Oh yeah um MUST SAVE ELECTRICITY NOW!

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
don't you have some grass to mow :razz:

The horses ate it all, well except the poop areas, and not the front. Don't men know that they need to use the string trimmer or push mower for those areas that can't be reached well with a riding mower? I offered to make a PINK RUFFLE canopy for the mower to shade the driver, but he wasn't interested in that lol.

Amazon has added offline viewing for much of the content available through Amazon Prime. Cool. That might just make it worth keeping after my first year is up.

Amazon Prime goes monthly in new challenge to Netflix

On Sunday night the online retailer is turning on a monthly subscription option for its bundle of Prime services, like free shipping, a music library, and a growing collection of original TV shows and movies.

What's more, Amazon is now offering a separate monthly subscription just for its TV and movie collection — the part it calls Prime Video.

The standalone Prime Video service will cost $8.99 a month.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Amazon Prime offers so many benefits it's well worth the annual fee. Shipping sure, but also TV, music, and Kindle books at free or greatly reduced prices.