AMTRAK train derailment

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
That’s fine.

It’s not high speed.

Did you read the article you cited?

Not high speed.
Send all those folks an email. Shirley your credibility alone will cause many retractions and corrections. :lmao::lmao:

PS: I can see the spittle flecking on to your keyboard and screen from here. Come on..what's your next screen name? Don't make us guess.

PeoplesElbow

That’s fine.

It’s not high speed.

Did you read the article you cited?

Not high speed.

I think we can agree it was called high speed for marketing purposes, who would bother riding a low speed train for commuting?

Compared to the freight rail that owns the tracks it is high speed, this is the problem with using adjectives to describe things. If it was simply described as Class A etc... it would be more straight forward.

Starman

I think we can agree it was called high speed for marketing purposes

Ding! Ding! Ding!

So you understand it cannot properly be called “high speed”. We’re making progress here.

I think you mean Class 4, which I already mentioned and is definitely not “high speed”

PeoplesElbow

And I’m sure you understand that just because some marketing glossies call it as such doesn’t make it so.

You're a big train geek aren't you?

And why can't it be called high speed rail? It apparently already has been by just about everyone, including the last presidential administration.

Starman

You're a big train geek aren't you?

And why can't it be called high speed rail? It apparently already has been by just about everyone, including the last presidential administration.

Railfan and trainspotter for 30+ years, yes.

Bruce Jenner now calls himself a woman. Does that make him a woman?

officeguy

Ooh. We have a genuine railfan among us. Everyone be quiet when he dispenses his wisdom.

Anyway, this was funded by the big O as part of the PNW high speed rail corridor. While the project was certified to a 79mph standard, the S-curve across I5 and the Nisqually junction probably have a lower speed limit. We'll see whether the excessive speed was human failure by the engineer or a training failure by the railroad.

PeoplesElbow

Bruce Jenner now calls himself a woman. Does that make him a woman?

FWIW I texted a friend of mine who is an engineer for a freight service and asked him if that was considered high speed, he told me everything above 35 is high speed.

Starman

Ooh. We have a genuine railfan among us. Everyone be quiet when he dispenses his wisdom.

Anyway, this was funded by the big O as part of the PNW high speed rail corridor. While the project was certified to a 79mph standard, the S-curve across I5 and the Nisqually junction probably have a lower speed limit. We'll see whether the excessive speed was human failure by the engineer or a training failure by the railroad.

Right. So not high speed.

Starman

FWIW I texted a friend of mine who is an engineer for a freight service and asked him if that was considered high speed, he told me everything above 35 is high speed.

For freight rail in the U.S. that's probably not far off the mark. Freight is a completely different beast from passenger.

officeguy

He is just an engineer, our starman here is a certified railfan. --> your friend loses.

Hank

my war
to-prove-that-people-will-argue-over-anything-this-is-19623653.png