And the Nobel Peace Prize goes to...

ylexot

Super Genius
As soon as I heard the news, I knew the hate would be boiling over in the Forums; but, in all honesty, I was totally shocked to hear it myself. This award does not follow the normal pattern of what the Nobel Committee looks for based on past receipients.

Although, years and years of work has not always been a requirement. They often look at one's single accomplishment and even efforts.

List of Nobel Peace Prize laureates - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So, this is not enitrely far fetched.

I love how you were "totally shocked" by it, but are willing to defend it. Quite the demonstration of devotion to Dear Leader. :yay:

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
The story on the Today show shortly after the announcement of the Nobel winner was the live view of rockets being shot at the moon.

That was a let down - no plumb of dust, nothing exciting - looked like a failure to 18-yr-old and I.

We figured Obama got a peace award for failing to blow up the moon.

awpitt

Main Streeter
I love how you were "totally shocked" by it, but are willing to defend it. Quite the demonstration of devotion to Dear Leader. :yay:

Not defending anything. Just stating fact. Review the list. You'll see plenty of of winners where the citation describes a single event and sometimes not even that. Some of them describes efforts.

SamSpade

As soon as I heard the news, I knew the hate would be boiling over in the Forums; but, in all honesty, I was totally shocked to hear it myself. This award does not follow the normal pattern of what the Nobel Committee looks for based on past receipients.

Although, years and years of work has not always been a requirement. They often look at one's single accomplishment and even efforts.

But really - what exactly has he done? You realize he was nominated only a couple weeks into his Presidency. I don't hate the man, but I'm flabbergasted at the adulation for a man with a list of accomplishments so short, SNL did one of their most hilarious skits on the matter.

I really thought it was strange that Gore got it, whether you like him or not. Stumping around the world advocating measures against global warming ought to register something regarding physics or chemistry - but "peace"?

But I did lose all respect for the committee when Arafat won.

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
I think it's telling that this announcement was made on the very day that Obama is scheduled to meet with advisors to seriously consider sending more troops to Afganistan.

Now how is it going to look if he agrees to follow his advisors recommendations?

How's it going to look if for the security of our troops and our country if he has to make the decision to step up military operations?

It smacks of manipulation by the Nobel Committee.

SamSpade

Not defending anything. Just stating fact. Review the list. You'll see plenty of of winners where the citation describes a single event and sometimes not even that. Some of them describes efforts.

Perhaps, but sometimes those events are mediating a strike or a war. Obama's award is based on something less substantial than that. I'm failing to think of even ONE accomplishment worthy of this award.

PsyOps

Pixelated
But really - what exactly has he done? You realize he was nominated only a couple weeks into his Presidency. I don't hate the man, but I'm flabbergasted at the adulation for a man with a list of accomplishments so short, SNL did one of their most hilarious skits on the matter.

I really thought it was strange that Gore got it, whether you like him or not. Stumping around the world advocating measures against global warming ought to register something regarding physics or chemistry - but "peace"?

Does this really not speak more loudly to the anti-American air that exists around the world? With Obama going from country to country apologizing for what we've done in our recent past; Obama’s rhetoric reeks of all that America has stood for and flowers up his advancement for “fundamental change”.

This is less about peace and more about promoting an agenda that Obama is squarely in the middle of.

ylexot

Super Genius
Perhaps, but sometimes those events are mediating a strike or a war. Obama's award is based on something less substantial than that. I'm failing to think of even ONE accomplishment worthy of this award.

The worldwide apology tour? :shrug:

Maybe it's the consolation prize for not getting the Olympics in Chicago. :biggrin:

I don't think there's really much hate about it, the sentiment is mostly mockery (at least, for me). And, the derision is really more about the Nobel Peace Prize, in itself, than it is about President Obama. His having won it draws some temporary attention to it, and gives us an oppurtunity (i.e. makes us remember) to mock it. It's hard to pass up an appurtunity to mock the Nobel Peace Prize - I mean, seriously, it is.

You know, even among the other Nobel prizes, the Peace Prize is kind of a laughing stock. They often sit around and poke fun at it, they won't let it sit with them in the cafeteria, they question its family lineage. A couple of years ago, the Nobel Prize in Physics was overheard joking, 'Hey, did you hear what they are planning on renaming the Peace Prize to? The Nobel Neville Chamberlain Prize.' The whole room erupted - it's been a running joke in some circles ever since. In fact, the Physics Prize was actually nominated for the Nobel Prize in Humor that year, based solely on the strength of that one joke. True story.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
The Nobel Prize is a joke, just like the Oscars and any other award that isn't really based on achievement, but on politics in one form or another, or some other arbitrary measure.

Maobama won a Nobel Peace Prize. Big whoop. They're pretty meaningless.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
You know, even among the other Nobel prizes, the Peace Prize is kind of a laughing stock. They often sit around and poke fun at it, they won't let it sit with them in the cafeteria, they question its family lineage. A couple of years ago, the Nobel Prize in Physics was overheard joking, 'Hey, did you hear what they are planning on renaming the Peace Prize to? The Nobel Neville Chamberlain Prize.' The whole room erupted - it's been a running joke in some circles ever since. In fact, the Physics Prize was actually nominated for the Nobel Prize in Humor that year, based solely on the strength of that one joke. True story.

:lol:

awpitt

Main Streeter

You're right, it is odd that he was nominated so soon after taking office, along with 200 +/- other people. Maybe someone liked his overseas trip in '08. I don't know but the award wasn't decided unitil this week.

...and yes, it would've made more sense to award Gore in the area of science, not peace.

Otter

Nothing to see here

Hate?? No hate here...its laughter, so many people with their head in the sand, ya gotta laugh.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
...and yes, it would've made more sense to award Gore in the area of science, not peace.

Yeah, because Gore is such a renowned scientist.

:rolleyes:

The Nobel is a political tool, nothing more. And it's dismaying to see you try and defend something that is obviously rigged.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
The Nobel Committee has absolutely ZERO legitimacy now, as if Arafat winning it didn't sully the award enough.:rolleyes: I don't think this is what Alfred Nobel had in mind when he created this award.

BadGirl

I am so very blessed

So, what was the ONE incredible earth shattering thing he had done in his first 10 days in office?

And who were the other nominees? I mean if Obama won, the rest of them must of been some serious losers like Bin Laden... Or Kim Il

Last edited:

PsyOps

Pixelated

I think you have been asked several times but have yet to answer. What "single event"? What effort?

I mean given EFFORT, the Cardinals should have been given last years superbowl based on their effort. Since when does EFFORT without actual accomplishment result in being rewarded over someone that actually accomplished something? Like I wrote before, Bono has accomplished far more to advance peace than Obama.

Last edited:

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
Nobel announcement,

A world leader that shares the diplomatic principals and beliefs of the majority of the world?

You mean like communist CHINA?

WOW he did a CRAP load in 10 days, impressed the hell out of hte nominating comittee

What a bunch of crap

Oh and giving reach arounds.. I mean reaching out, to the Muslim population in the world.. the same ones that want all of US dead..