As in the days of Noah.....

baydoll

This'll have to wait till I get home .... if you want, type 'ancient greece' or 'ancient egypt' in any browser, and educate yourself.

If not, I can do it for you later.

I look forward to seeing your answer.

Have a nice afternoon! :howdy:

baydoll

wow.

One self fulfilling prophecy ....

Hey, I'm going to get a soda.

OH MY GOSH, I MUST BE A PROPHET BECAUSE I GOT ONE!

I'm a little pressed for time, Xaquin and won't be able to get online this weekend but I will gladly post more for you (heck I'll throw in tons more) on Monday.

Thanks for being patient!

baydoll

Hydrologic cycle (Ecclesiastes 1:7)

Ecclesiastes 1:7 - All the rivers run into the sea; yet the sea is not full; to the place from where the rivers come, thither they return again.

OH THANK YOU JESUS AND GOD FOR WRITTING A PASSAGE IN A BOOK THAT LETS US KNOW THAT WATER RUNS DOWNHILL!

I'm sure the egyptians and ancient greeks or romans never noticed this.

Actually that's not what the author of Ecclesiastes was talking about. The Hydrologic cycle is weather, not 'water running downhill'.

The Bible taught that earth’s weather followed rules and cycles.

Centuries later, scientists began to discern the 'rules for the rain' that Job talked about. Rainfall is part of a process called the ‘water cycle’, and here’s how the cycle works. The sun evaporates water from the ocean. That water vapor rises and becomes clouds. The water in the clouds falls back to earth as rain, collecting in streams and rivers and making its way back to the ocean. This process then repeats itself over and over again. About 300 years ago, Galileo ‘discovered’ this cycle. In fact, even today scientists are only beginning to fully understand God’s 'decrees or rules for the rain.' Since 68 BC it was thought that somehow thunder triggered the rainfall. Now scientists are beginning to realize that just as it is written in Job 28:26, it is lightning that triggers the rain to fall. Job knew this 3,000 years ago.

baydoll

Originally Posted by baydoll
Law of increasing entropy (Psalm 102:25-27)

25 I plead, O my God, do not take me in the midst of my days. Your years last through all generations.
26 Of old you laid the earth's foundations; the heavens are the work of your hands.
27 They perish, but you remain; they all wear out like a garment; Like clothing you change them and they are changed

I'm sorry, do you really think the bible was the first book to point out getting old?

Really? What was the first book to make that point?

baydoll

Vast number of stars (Jeremiah 33:22)

I'm pretty sure anyone with even just one working eyeball could have figured this one out ....

Actually I don't think anyone's eyesight is that good:

Before the discovery of the telescope, references such as Jeremiah 33:22 (As the host of heaven can not be numbered) and Genesis 22:17 (which compares the stars of the heaven to the sand of the sea in multitude), must have seemed like serious mistakes. Men had always been fascinated by the stars and many had tried to count them. Ptolemy came up with 1,056. Tycho Brahe counted 777, while Johannes found 1,005. The maximum number of stars visible to the naked eye is around 4,000, if one counts every star that is visible from every point on the globe. [1] All would agree that 4000 is certainly not an "innumerable" number, and certainly not a number to be compared to the number of sand grains on the sea shore! However, with the discovery of the telescope, came the discovery of countless more stars. Scientists now estimate that the universe contains at least 1026 stars, which is a number that reflects the same order of magnitude as the number of sand grains on the earth. [2] The universe itself is implied to be immeasurable in Jeremiah 31:37. Even today, with our sophisticated telescopes, this Biblical statement is still true. Another interesting verse is I Corinthians 15:41 that tells us that "one star differeth from another star in glory." Although at one time this may have seemed like a mistake, we now know that no two stars are alike. As far as our solar system is concerned, some Biblical references such as Psalm 19:6 are claimed to be scientifically inaccurate since they seem to describe the sun as revolving around the earth. However, we must keep in mind that even in our modern, scientific culture we use the phrases "sunrise" and "sunset", without being accused of scientific inaccuracies. They are simply everyday expressions that everyone understands. Furthermore, we now know that our sun is no more fixed in space than the earth is. It is revolving around an unknown center of the Milky Way galaxy. Therefore, all motion is relative motion anyway, and the best way to describe it is to arbitrarily select a point of assumed zero velocities and measure all velocities relative to that point. [3] So, once again, in relation to astronomy the Bible is found to be accurate.

Xaquin44

Almost infinite extent of the sidereal universe (Isaiah 55:9)

And what does the word higher than the earth mean to you? Are you saying your thoughts and your ways higher than God?

higher is relative in space, but if you want to use the crust of the earth as base, nearly everything in the universe is 'higher' then the earth.

as for my thoughts and ways being higher then god, well first you'd have to prove his existance.

although, barring proof, one of us (god and I) created satan and one of us didn't ....

Xaquin44

Hydrologic cycle (Ecclesiastes 1:7)

Ecclesiastes 1:7 - All the rivers run into the sea; yet the sea is not full; to the place from where the rivers come, thither they return again.

Actually that's not what the author of Ecclesiastes was talking about. The Hydrologic cycle is weather, not 'water running downhill'.

The Bible taught that earth’s weather followed rules and cycles.

yes, and the ancient egyptians never knew about the seasonal flooding of the nile .... looonnnngggggg before the bible.

I could find many more examples, but that was one of the ones I remember from middle school history.

Xaquin44

Law of increasing entropy (Psalm 102:25-27)

Really? What was the first book to make that point?

I used 'book' as a very sarcastic example .... I'm very positive that people knew what 'getting older' was long before the bible pointed it out.

Please don't be so dense if you can help it.

baydoll

Paramount importance of blood in life processes (Leviticus 17:11)

ahahhahaha

This important verse, along with others (e.g., Genesis 9:3-6), indicates that the blood circulation is the key factor in physical life (a discovery made only in 1616 by William Harvey). The blood carries water and nourishment to every cell, maintains the body’s temperature, and removes the waste material of the body’s cells. The blood also transmits the very “breath of life,” carrying the oxygen from the lungs throughout the body to all its cells. This relatively modern scientific insight merely confirms what God revealed thousands of years ago.

baydoll

Atmospheric circulation (Ecclesiastes 1:6)

weather is hardly a unique concept to the bible .... it was being studied by nearly every established civilization in some fashion ever.

That be true..... BUT:

ancient cultures were often so mystified by the weather that they attributed mystical forces to everything they saw. But look at how the Biblical writers described the forces of weather (something we have come to call the Hydrologic Cycle):

Job 26:8
He wraps up the waters in his clouds, yet the clouds do not burst under their weight

Job 36:27-28
He draws up the drops of water, which distill as rain to the streams; the clouds pour down their moisture and abundant showers fall on mankind

Ecclesiastes 1:6-7
The wind blows to the south and turns to the north; round and round it goes, ever returning on its course. All streams flow into the sea, yet the sea is never full. To the place the streams come from, there they return again

Genesis 8:22
As long as the earth endures, seedtime and harvest, cold and heat, summer and winter, day and night will never cease.

Job 28:26
God made decrees [rules] for the rain. And He set a way for the lightning of the thunder

Amos 9:6
He who calls for the waters of the sea and pours them out on the face of the earth, the LORD is His name.

Remember that in ancient times, most religious scripture taught that lightning bolts were missiles thrown in anger by any number of gods. In China, Taoist scripture regarded the rainbow as a deadly rain dragon. In Confucius scripture, the goddess of lightning, Tien Mu, flashed light on her intended victims to enable Lei Kung, the god of thunder to launch his deadly bolts with precision! And since rain is so necessary to life, ancient people wondered what caused it in hopes of increasing its delivery. Some tried to stab holes in the clouds with spears. The Vedas (Hindu scripture) advised to tie a frog with its mouth open to a particular tree and say a specific set of words in order to cause the rain to fall. Now the Bible also talks about rain, lightning and storms, but it contains none of the superstitious ideas found in writings. The Bible taught that earth’s weather followed rules and cycles.

Centuries later, scientists began to discern the 'rules for the rain' that Job talked about. Rainfall is part of a process called the ‘water cycle’, and here’s how the cycle works. The sun evaporates water from the ocean. That water vapor rises and becomes clouds. The water in the clouds falls back to earth as rain, collecting in streams and rivers and making its way back to the ocean. This process then repeats itself over and over again. About 300 years ago, Galileo ‘discovered’ this cycle. In fact, even today scientists are only beginning to fully understand God’s 'decrees or rules for the rain.' Since 68 BC it was thought that somehow thunder triggered the rainfall. Now scientists are beginning to realize that just as it is written in Job 28:26, it is lightning that triggers the rain to fall. Job knew this 3,000 years ago

Xaquin44

Vast number of stars (Jeremiah 33:22)

Actually I don't think anyone's eyesight is that good:

I see that you are not familliar with simile.

of course no one's eyesight is good enough to count every star .... but it only takes a brief glance in the upward direction to see there is a vast number of stars ....

funny how many of these 'scientific discoveries' that (according (falsely) to you) first make their incredible appearance in the bible, can be easily discovered by looking around for a few seconds.

Xaquin44

Atmospheric circulation (Ecclesiastes 1:6)

That be true..... BUT:

"ancient cultures were often so mystified by the weather that they attributed mystical forces to everything they saw."

this is from your quote and it's very true. Early christians did it too .... they attributed it to 'god' rather than 'gods'

no big deal, and certainly nothing new.

baydoll

I see that you are not familliar with simile.

of course no one's eyesight is good enough to count every star .... but it only takes a brief glance in the upward direction to see there is a vast number of stars ....

funny how many of these 'scientific discoveries' that (according (falsely) to you) first make their incredible appearance in the bible, can be easily discovered by looking around for a few seconds.

From The Signature of God by Grant Jeffries:

" 'Then He brought him outside and said, "Look now toward heaven, and count the stars if you are able to number them." And He said to him, "So shall your descendants be." Gen 5:15

The unaided human eye can see and count about 1,029 stars. With a pair of binoculars or an inexpensive telescope you can see over 3,300 stars. In the last few years modern telescopes have allowed us to view over two hundred millions stars in our own galaxy called the Milky Way. As late as 1915, astronomers believed that our galaxy composed the entire universe. Then in 1925, the great astronomer Edwin Hubble used his new one hundred inch mirror telescope on Mt. Wilson, the largest in the world at that time, to view whole new galaxies of stars that were more than six million trillion miles away from earth. Professor Hubble proved that the universe contained as many galaxies outside our glaxay as there were stars inside our home galaxy, the Milky Way.

However, in the last few months, (and this being 1996) scientists have used the Hubble telescope to focus on a tiny point in space so small that it is equal to focusing your eye on an area the size of a grain of sand held at arm's length.

After intensely examining this very small area of space, the astronomers determined that it contained an ADDITIONAL FIFTEEN HUNDRED GALAXIES, each the size of our Milky Way.

They were astonished to discover that the universe is more than FIVE TIMES LARGER than we previously persumed.

They now know the known universe contains more than fifty billion galaxies with each galaxy containing more than two hundred millions stars.

The mind of man can scarely conceive of such a vast universe in which stars extend out from our solar system for millions of trillions of miles in every direction.

Ge 22:17 -
blessing I will bless you, and multiplying I will multiply your descendants as the stars of the heaven and as the sand which is on the seashore; and your descendants shall possess the gate of their enemies.