Bad economy

vegmom

Bookseller Lady
How do you get reception without some form of cable? When I first moved here I wasn't able to get anything except a VERY fuzzy Fox 5 and some Salisbury, MD fishing channels.

I have an amplified indoor aentenna. I get the Salisbury ABC/CBS stations and MPT in 99% of the time. The lower VHF channels are a bit iffy but we don't watch TV enough to justify the extra $60 a month bill.

sockgirl77

My tv's don't use antennas (have sockets) now and they are all tube tv's. So I am trying to figure that commercial out.

You have either cable or satellite, right? I am referring to people that strictly use antennas. They'll have to have a digital converter box by February '09 to get any channels. :yay:

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
:yeahthat: But, everyone has to buy a digital converter for it next year. :yay:

For a one time cost of $60 BUT the gov't is offering $40 coupons so it'll be $20.

For the roof or the tv? You have to spell it out for me. In DC tv comes in clear for about 30 channels so I'm not use to tall trees blocking reception. :lol:
Antenna on your roof with an indoor signal amplifier.

LexiGirl75

100% Goapele Head!
I have an amplified indoor aentenna. I get the Salisbury ABC/CBS stations and MPT in 99% of the time. The lower VHF channels are a bit iffy but we don't watch TV enough to justify the extra $60 a month bill.

If my sons can't watch wrestling Mondays and Fridays (possibly in between those days) then I will have to hear about it. TV watches me more than I do it. If they would put all shows online I wouldn't need it at all.

I can't get rid of my $80mo landline either. My package allows the kids to call me on my cell which is long distance because my family can't call my house because IT'S long distance. :jameo:

C

CalvertNewbie

Heard about this place on Nightline.

I'm going to stop at their store in Westminster on my way up to visit my father over the summer.

Steve & Barry's

I just spoke with a friend up in NY yesterday and she told me about this store. I had never heard about it before but was going to google it to see if there was one down here. She said you can find clothes for really cheap. I'm not sure how good the quality is but with kids, they outgrow everything so fast anyway. She bought a ton of stuff for both her kids and herself and spent about $150.

BTW, she and her family were going to come down here for the holiday weekend but cancelled because of gas prices ($4.05 in NY). But they were never good at budgeting anyway so it's no surprise that gas prices are hurting them more than your average person.

Mateo

Oh no sir, I wasn't calling you cheap. I was serious. For all I knew there could have been a disaster in the family and you had to refinance to pay medical bills or something.

I wish more folks thought the way you do. :yay:

My apologies...no offense taken. We are prepared for that eventuality also, as my remaining parent and in -laws are still alive and we envision that we will have to take them into our care (and are planning editions for the house). I confess we didn't always think that way prior to our retirements, but living in Montgomery County was sure a very large whack upside the head. A good reason we moved down here when we both retired. Truth is, retirement is not the gravy train it once was as the dollars don't go far. So we plan.
Growing grapes, figs and veggies...we plan to make it through these times one way or the other. Good luck on your conservation too..sounds like you are on a like track .

sockgirl77

If my sons can't watch wrestling Mondays and Fridays (possibly in between those days) then I will have to hear about it. TV watches me more than I do it. If they would put all shows online I wouldn't need it at all.

I can't get rid of my $80mo landline either. My package allows the kids to call me on my cell which is long distance because my family can't call my house because IT'S long distance. :jameo:

Your sons should not be watching wrestling. Verizon has a Freedom plan that is all inclusive. Voicemail, caller id, call waiting, AND long distance for a little over $40 per month. Why in the hell are you paying $80. Or you can go to MetroCast and get cable, internet, and phone(all inclusive) for $129.95 per month. :shrug:

LexiGirl75

100% Goapele Head!
You have either cable or satellite, right? I am referring to people that strictly use antennas. They'll have to have a digital converter box by February '09 to get any channels. :yay:

Yep, Directv. Thanks for explaining that WAY better than the commercial. :flowers:

LexiGirl75

100% Goapele Head!
Your sons should not be watching wrestling. Verizon has a Freedom plan that is all inclusive. Voicemail, caller id, call waiting, AND long distance for a little over $40 per month. Why in the hell are you paying $80. Or you can go to MetroCast and get cable, internet, and phone(all inclusive) for $129.95 per month. :shrug:

Add in DSL and all of the taxes and fees and you have moi.

LexiGirl75

100% Goapele Head!
Your sons should not be watching wrestling... Or you can go to MetroCast and get cable, internet, and phone(all inclusive) for $129.95 per month. :shrug:

They don't bother me, I don't bother them. :whistle: I'm like Lynette on Desperate Housewives. :lmao:

Metrocast has a great deal, did not know. Thanks for the info. :flowers:

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
T

Sounds pricey.

$250.00 for a large antenna
$20.00 for converter (w/ gov't coupon)
$60.00 for signal amp

Probably pay itself off vs. cable or sat within 1 year.

Shop around for phone service you're getting hosed @ $80,00 a month.

sockgirl77

They don't bother me, I don't bother them. :whistle: I'm like Lynette on Desperate Housewives. :lmao:

Metrocast has a great deal, did not know. Thanks for the info. :flowers:

I do not despise wrestling but I think it's awful for kids to watch. Too much violence and sex for young eyes to be viewing.