Best kept secrets in Somd

tipsy mcgee

Always thirsty
One of the best weekends I had where I never thought I would have any fun was in Frederick, the old town part. It's kind of like Alexandria on a smaller scale, and before they redid everything. Lots of nice little taverns and restaurants, and plenty of hotels -- not sure about B&Bs -- with a mall nearby if you feel like shopping, and a minor league baseball team if they're still up there. Just thought it was something different that no one threw out yet.

Another nice place to visit on the Eastern Shore is Crisfield. Now, I'm not sure about accommodations there, it's really at the end of a long stretch of a two lane road, so a B&B would be nice there, but it's not much of a drive from Snow Hill or Salisbury. A couple nice restaurants right on the docks and a tour boat that runs all day at different times.

As for local stuff, I have never been to Oakwood, but have heard nothing but BAD stuff about it from friends and family. They just said it was overpriced and took a while to get everything, and food was only decent. I think Evans' food is good, but I do think they are overpriced.

As for diamonds in the rough of my own, Courtney's in Ridge, freshest seafood just about anywhere; Scheible's is always good; Asahi is always a good change of pace and good food; Clarke's Landing, never had a bad meal there. That's about it for me. I did hear that the old China Harbor restaurant location next to the Tiki Bar is now a Steak House owned by the same lady. This is the only thing I heard about it, but one guy told me the steaks were out of this world. I think it's called 77 Charles Street.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Originally posted by tipsy mcgee

As for local stuff, I have never been to Oakwood, but have heard nothing but BAD stuff about it from friends and family. They just said it was overpriced and took a while to get everything, and food was only decent. I think Evans' food is good, but I do think they are overpriced.

Oakwood let's you know right on the menu that everything is prepared after it is ordered, no pre-made stuff sitting in the fridge getting old, that is why it takes a while to be served. I go there at least once a month and have never been disappointed, give me the Black Diamond steak and Shrimp Scampi everytime with a piece of Jean's cheesecake to top it off. I too love the stuffed Portobello mushroom to get me started.

As for Chincoteague, I haven't been over there in years but it was always nice to watch the sidewalks roll up as the sun goes down. In the winter it is really like a ghost town (or should I say it used to be that way, considering how long it has been since I was there).

Sierra39

Hairball Magnet
I second the motion for Old Field Inn in Prince Frederick! You can't stay overnight, but it's a wonderful atmosphere and consistently AWESOME food! I just had the portabello mushroom stuffed with spinach, roasted red peppers, and goat cheese last week and it was sooooo goooood....

One of my fav day trips is to St. Michael's on the eastern shore (about 1.5 hours away). They have several B&B's to choose from, lots of quaint little shops, and a wonderfully romantic cruise boat that goes up and down the river from their "main" dock...Really good seafood/crab place right there by the cruise boat dock, too.

Another good day trip is to Havre de Grace, MD, northeast of Baltimore. (about a 2-2.5 hour drive) It is a small town and is known and the "duck decoy capital!" There is even a decoy museum that's worth seeing. There's a nice boardwalk along the waterfront, and lots of interesting antique/junk shops and good restaurants. The restaurant on the water closest to the RR bridge has WONDERFUL crabcakes! I stayed in one of the B&B's on the main drag there...

If you're the outdoorsy type, try going to Thurmont, Md. (about a 2-2.5 hour drive) and rent a cabin or tent camp at Cunningham Falls State Park. The falls are about 1.5 mile hike down the trail from the lake and are worth the rugged hike; you can also rent canoes/kayaks at the lake.

Have fun!

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member

As for local stuff, I have never been to Oakwood, but have heard nothing but BAD stuff about it from friends and family. They just said it was overpriced and took a while to get everything, and food was only decent.

The only people I have ever heard complain about Oakwood are the Type A personalities for whom time and money is the bottom line. If you want a cookie-cutter assembly-line operation a la McRuby Tuesday or McApplebee's, Oakwood is NOT the place to go. (BTW - I happen to like Ruby Tuesday and Applebee's - I just know when I go there I'm not in for a fine dining experience - just good food relatively cheap.)

I go to Oakwood to DINE in a leisurely fashion with a spectacular view. Sure, it is more expensive and you have to wait longer, but if you've never had a Black Diamond "melt-in-your-mouth" steak (medium-rare, please!) or the Portabellas stuffed with crab imperial, you're missing out!

Gee, after all this talk about their food, I just might have to slide on down there this weekend and DINE... :yum:

tipsy mcgee

Always thirsty
Jazz, just putting out an observation that was made by more than one family member and more than a couple friends, and I wouldn't consider them "Type A" personalities. I don't think anyone minds waiting an extra 10 or 20 minutes or whatever if the product is worth it. Fact is, we've all had good and bad experiences at restaurants, just like any other business, like a dry cleaners for instance. Hey, any place that has a good steak, I'm willing to try no matter what. You can keep the mushrooms, though.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Jazz, just putting out an observation that was made by more than one family member and more than a couple friends, and I wouldn't consider them "Type A" personalities. I don't think anyone minds waiting an extra 10 or 20 minutes or whatever if the product is worth it. Fact is, we've all had good and bad experiences at restaurants, just like any other business, like a dry cleaners for instance. Hey, any place that has a good steak, I'm willing to try no matter what. You can keep the mushrooms, though.

Tipsy - I hope you do give them a shot - the Black Diamond steak is awesome. I've taken quite a few people to Oakwood over the years. Heck, we used to take large parties of people there after our local dart tournaments and they all looked forward to going all the way down there for the food. Several have told us they miss going down there since we don't have those tournaments here anymore. :bawl:

I do have to disagree with you about people not minding waiting to get their food - I've seen people go BALLISTIC when their food isn't delivered in 5 minutes or less. This from everything from a pizza parlor to Ruby Tuesday to Ruth's Chris Steak House, so it seems to happen everywhere at any type of restaurant.

I like to support our local businesses that have found a niche and are fighting hard to keep their identity in the McWorld of today (can you tell I don't LIKE MickeyDee's??? :lol: ) So give them a try and let us know what you think. I hope you'll be pleasantly surprised. :)

watercolor

yeah yeah
Well I will have to agree with the Old Field Inn, in Prince Fredrick. wonderful atmosphere, that is where we are having our rehursal dinner at! *smile*

DarbyOhara

Musician
Originally posted by Ken King

As for Chincoteague, I haven't been over there in years but it was always nice to watch the sidewalks roll up as the sun goes down. In the winter it is really like a ghost town (or should I say it used to be that way, considering how long it has been since I was there).

I looked this up on mapquest.com.... would I have to drive to Richmond area and across that LONG bridge to get there -or- would I have to find my way across the Bay... I never been in those parts of the world.... just wonderin.......

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
I don't know a lot about the area - but here is my 2 cents worth - St. Michaels - cross the annapolis aka bay bridge and another 45 minute drive. Has b&b's, quiet, scenic, and not very crowded (I'm an introvert lol) Good place to eat there is St. Michaels on the Dock or Something on the dock - not too pricey avg meal is around $25 but really good then a nice little stroll to your b&b

sgtsprout

Mr. Shud da hell up
beat me to it

well St MIchaels I was going to say. ON the other penisula. My bro went there they said it was fantastic. Nice quiet humble town. SOme bn B's.

And oakwood kicks. I've been there twice in the 4 months I been here. Good friendly ppl. But yeah service is,, ahh ok. Not enough ppl there is all.

M Bucker

Catamaran's is the WORST!!!!!!

I agree with all of the great resturaunts on here but Catamaran's is the absolute worst place I have ever eaten. We went there with a few people and everything that could go wrong did. From the waitress being horrible (forgetting our drinks, silverware, and our actually order), to the food not being very good. That place will never see another dime of my money unless they teat it down and turn it into a fountain!!!!!

Save yourselves the time, money and trouble of going there.

Funny story: 6 of us go there starving. The waitress brought out food to the two other couples and doesn't bring out my girlfriend's or my food. She went to check and "Oh my God, I forgot to put the order in. Do you guys still want to order???" all this after my friends had finished their food.

M Bucker

That place will never see another dime of my money unless they teat it down and turn it into a fountain!!!!!

Teat????? Sorry about that, I meant tear. I wonder where my mind was....................

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I have to agree that Catamaran's is the worst in service and food. Our waitress did not bring me silverware after three requests and the food was very very late because there was a kitchen fire! Only heard that from another waiter telling another table why their food was taking so long.

bknarw

Attire Monitor
Re: Re: Re: Catamarans

Originally posted by cariblue

see? perv!

No, it was just a slip, really. I meant to type in "Cineplex", but for some reason, three x's came out...really.

What's the deal with Vera's in White Sands, anyhow? I drive past there all of the time but I never heard anything about the place. I assume that's for a reason?

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Bk

What's the deal with Vera's in White Sands, anyhow? I drive past there all of the time but I never heard anything about the place. I assume that's for a reason?

:boo: Vera :barf: Dealt with her 20 years ago when I was in a rental. :mad: The restaurant may or may not be nice, but a lot of people just don't care for her, for a variety of reasons I won't go into. You didn't hear that from me. :lol:

Bk, you could always check it out and report back to us.:cool:

Rane

Lookin for Margaritaville
How bout wings ?

Where does everyone like to go for wings ? We have Dick's ( seriously lol ) Wings and Fat Boys Wings down here and we'll miss them when we move north ... so we'll be looking for a new favorite wing place .... suggestions anyone ? And I want you all to know that I've already told hubby that he has to take me to Damon's when I get up there ... he says Thanks a lot ! lol :D

bknarw

Attire Monitor
Re: How bout wings ?

Originally posted by Rane
Where does everyone like to go for wings ? We have Dick's ( seriously lol ) Wings and Fat Boys Wings down here and we'll miss them when we move north ... so we'll be looking for a new favorite wing place .... suggestions anyone ? And I want you all to know that I've already told hubby that he has to take me to Damon's when I get up there ... he says Thanks a lot ! lol :D

Smokey Joe's at Chesapeake Beach has EXCELLENT wings!

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Originally posted by DarbyOhara

I looked this up on mapquest.com.... would I have to drive to Richmond area and across that LONG bridge to get there -or- would I have to find my way across the Bay... I never been in those parts of the world.... just wonderin.......

Darby,

No, you don't have to take the southern route. To get to Chincoteague, VA take MD 4/2 north. Take MD 2 towards Annapolis. Get on US 50 East. Follow US 50 until you get to US 13 and head south on it. Continue south until you reach the Virginia state line. About 5 miles across the line (at Nash Corner) turn onto VA 175 (think it is also called Ocean HWY.) and this will take you right into Chincoteague, right around 200 miles from Lexington Park and close to 4 hours driving time. There is a way to trim off a few miles by cutting through Delaware but I always screw it up and end up adding miles to the trip, maybe I’ll look at a map and see if I can’t figure it out.