Best roast ever? Try slow roasting

Bay_Kat

Tropical
I slow roast too, but before it goes in to roast, I put it on the grill, sear on all sides, traps the juices inside and gives it the best flavor.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
I've been doing this for a few years now.

my wife is excellent at buying a $ 5.00 chunk of beef, throwing that in the slow cooker all day ...
.... you take it out in pieces, as it disintegrates as you try to remove it ...

Larry Gude

Strung Out
You can always vary the starting time to have it ready when you will need it. We did have it for breakfast. It was a sort of trial run. I just had the last piece for lunch today. I had it cold on a roll with mayo, horseradish and lettuce. Yumm. I had some last night in a sort of chef salad. We've been eating it in some form or another for the last few days.

Depending on the size of your roast(6 pounds or so), if you put it in around midnight it could take until 3pm to be ready. Let it sit a half hour before carving. YMMV

There's a freaking pool of drool all over my desk. Good lord....

DEEKAYPEE8569

I've been doing this for a few years now. Overnight roasting in a very slow oven. The meat does not experience a huge amount of moisture loss. I try to use a better cut of meat when doing it this way. The attached article says this method works with a tougher cut of meat such as a shoulder cut.

1 other benefit is that it makes for an easy clean up of the pan. There isn't a lot of burnt on residue. Just soak the pan for a while and it cleans up easy.

You can produce perfectly cooked roast beef while you sleep, even with an array of beefy-tasting cuts, from pricey prime rib to affordable round roast. Slow roasting at a low temperature is the way to go. Butchers, chefs and meat experts agree that it's easy to do in basic home ovens. No fire-breathing, commercial-quality ranges are required.[

Slow-low roasting maximizes the taste of a whole beef tenderloin and prime rib roast, but the great secret and value of such a method is that it will tenderize and bring out the beefiest flavors of the less-expensive shoulder, round and rump roast cuts.

Although the slow-low method takes about 2 1/2 hours per pound at 170 degrees, it won't cost you extra time. A three- to four-pound roast can be placed in the oven to cook overnight. The temperature is so low that nothing will burn, and by the morning, the roast will be done.

You should try slow-roasting a Tri-Tip.....talk about :drool:

"The tri-tip is a cut of beef from the bottom sirloin subprimal cut.[1] It is a small triangular muscle, usually 1.5 to 2.5 lbs. (675 to 1,150g) per side of beef."

"The scientific name of this muscle is tensor fasciae latae, inserted in the fascia lata, the connective tissue covering the quadriceps femoris, also called quadriceps extensor, a group of four muscles which in turn insert in the patella, or knee cap of the animal."

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en.....1ac.1.34.heirloom-hp..1.20.1358._N9UIGw08EE

mamatutu

mama to two
my wife is excellent at buying a $ 5.00 chunk of beef, throwing that in the slow cooker all day ...
.... you take it out in pieces, as it disintegrates as you try to remove it ...

Please let me know where your wife buys 5.00 chunks of beef. I will go there lickety split. Thanks!

acommondisaster

We don't eat a lot of red meat anymore, but low and slow is how I do our rib roast each Christmas. I agree that this is the best tasting way to cook a roast - the flavor just doesn't compare.

To me, a slow cooker roast is a completely different meal, with all the onions and carrots and potatoes in there, soaking up the juices and the roast getting all melted.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
I went to the window of the local grocery store and asked for half of a rib roast. I got what appears to be half a rib from the world's largest cow. So in the oven it will go later tonight so it's ready around noon tomorrow.

I went to the window of the local grocery store and asked for half of a rib roast. I got what appears to be half a rib from the world's largest cow. So in the oven it will go later tonight so it's ready around noon tomorrow.
Oh... thanks for the reminder... I need to start mine tonight so it's ready for dinner Sunday.