Best roast ever? Try slow roasting

SamSpade

That's why it's called a Sunday roast. You put it in the oven and by the time you get ready for dinner after church it's ready. :dance:

I use the crockpot for almost all my roasts anymore. They turn out perfect.

I realize this is an old post - but I haven't experienced this. It seems like crockpotting beef almost always turns out dry and tasteless.
I am not sure how to preserve the natural juices because it seems weird that something soaking in juice should turn out dry - but cooking it slow doesn't seem to help.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I realize this is an old post - but I haven't experienced this. It seems like crockpotting beef almost always turns out dry and tasteless.
I am not sure how to preserve the natural juices because it seems weird that something soaking in juice should turn out dry - but cooking it slow doesn't seem to help.

The chuck roast is your friend. Almost impossible to ruin it. Leaner cuts are easy to destroy, but a good fatty hunk o' chuck is perfect every time.

black dog

Free America
Yep. Chuck roast... and only chuck roast in a crock pot.

Yep... Out here you also can get a English Roast, it's the cross rib cut that's boneless.
It's out of the shoulder, its high in muscle content and connective tissue so it can be tough if not cooked low and slow...
I generally cook a roast around 230° for 10-12 hours but after reading here I'm gonna try under 200° for a overnight and see what the difference is..

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
I've been doing this for a few years now. Overnight roasting in a very slow oven. The meat does not experience a huge amount of moisture loss. I try to use a better cut of meat when doing it this way. The attached article says this method works with a tougher cut of meat such as a shoulder cut.

1 other benefit is that it makes for an easy clean up of the pan. There isn't a lot of burnt on residue. Just soak the pan for a while and it cleans up easy.

Slow roasting

Slow roasting recipe step by step
Gonna try this. Yum.