Blockers in left lane....have a ticket.

Should Maryland have a "Keep Right Law"

• Left lane for passing or turning left

Votes: 32 33.7%
  • Keep right if going slower than traffic flow regardless of speed limit or when being overtaken

Votes: 46 48.4%
  • Keep right if going slower than speed limit

Votes: 8 8.4%
  • Mr. Magoo would be proud when he looks in the rear view mirror...

Votes: 9 9.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
maybe he was going to make a left turn down the road and history tells him that unless you get in the left way back, people wont let you in.
I know on the beltway in the morning using a turn signal is an indication that there is space next to you for someone to hurry up and fill before you can make your lane change.

Maybe he should have waited for those of us that had the green light and right of way to pass by first and then pull out once there was a red light, thus giving him a break in traffic.

LuckyMe143

You see. Here is a perfect example of ASS#$%^ of the Year. Could just care less about courtesey. Its why Ill always return your courtesey with a well deserved middle finger. Too much pride to simply pull to the right. Where are my James Bond rocket launchers when I need em.

I never said I wouldn't pull to the right. I simply said I do the damn speed limit. Learn to read.

FED_UP

Well if someone wants to ride my ass go ahead its not going to make me speed up. If someone wants to get mad at me for doing the speed limit that's on them. All I know is my a$$ isn't going to get a ticket. I really don't understand this "fast" lane. How can one lane be faster than the other when the speed limit is 45 or another number?

The average drive does not drive the speed limit, thats just the way it is. I thought I mentioned that already. :whistle: If they get a ticket that is on them.

tercel95

See this is another example of what is wrong with people in general. There are so many people that are perfectly normal and reasonable in every other aspect of their lives, yet when they get behind the wheel they are completely ridiculous. I don't understand it, maybe because it is more anonymous, much like an internet forum?

2 lane roads are an example of where 2 completely opposing viewpoints can co-exist. If you want to drive slow (or at the speed limit), stay in the right lane, if you want to pass, stay left. Yet everyone feels the need to crap on the other party as evidenced by this 32+ page thread.

Sidebar: Giant trucks who run their foglights all the time piss me off.

bcp

In My Opinion
Well if someone wants to ride my ass go ahead its not going to make me speed up. If someone wants to get mad at me for doing the speed limit that's on them. All I know is my a$$ isn't going to get a ticket. I really don't understand this "fast" lane. How can one lane be faster than the other when the speed limit is 45 or another number?

some vehicles are slower than others, there are also times when the careful driver might think its a good idea to go less than the posted speed.
in reality, the right lane should be called the slow lane.
If the speed is posted 50, but its raining and I think 40 is safer, then I need to move to the right so those that want to do the 50 can.

Posted limits are for maximum speed under ideal conditions.

PsyOps

Pixelated
Slow people in the left lane just need to get the F out the way when someone is coming up on them, just common sense. This is not rocket science, I don't need the law to tell me one way or the other, its common knowledge; if you have not figured this out yet you need to turn your license in. I said the with out insult too anyone I did a good job I think.

Well, I think it's too darned bad that you might end up behind me, because I will get out of your way when I damn-well please. Common sense tells me that I am just as entitled to be there, at the speed I choose, as you and don't have to change my driving habits for anyone.

How that be?

DooDoo1402

The fear of Smell

"fast lane". It has to do with common courtesy. The Europeans instill it into their driving behavior. Many americans don't understand it, unless they are familiar with the European highways. Road construction and engineering of roads that creates multiple lanes is not so traffic can use either one (just because they can). The principle is that the right lane is for "normal flow" of traffic and the left lane is for passing and faster moving vehicles. Speed limits are not some number that God blessed the road with. It is a suggested limit providing on weather and traffic conditions. So if you are in the left lane and there is no traffic in the right lane and someone is riding your butt, common courtesy is to indicate your intensions to allow them to pass (another words, move to right and stop being ignorant)...

C

czygvtwkr

I think what alot of people in southern maryland don't realize is that roads like 235 are not a highway. Highways do not have left turns, or stop lights etc. The road is 4 lanes wide for throughput, not to accomodate drivers that want to travel at 4 different speeds. They also expect the person in the left hand lane to go 70 until the absolute last minute and slam on the brakes to make their turn as not to slow them down.

If peoplel are not supposed to travel in the left most lane, stop designing the roads where there are turnoffs from the left lane.

LuckyMe143

"fast lane". It has to do with common courtesy. The Europeans instill it into their driving behavior. Many americans don't understand it, unless they are familiar with the European highways. Road construction and engineering of roads that creates multiple lanes is not so traffic can use either one (just because they can). The principle is that the right lane is for "normal flow" of traffic and the left lane is for passing and faster moving vehicles. Speed limits are not some number that God blessed the road with. It is a suggested limit providing on weather and traffic conditions. So if you are in the left lane and there is no traffic in the right lane and someone is riding your butt, common courtesy is to indicate your intensions to allow them to pass (another words, move to right and stop being ignorant)...

If there is no traffic to the right then why ride someone's butt?? Why not just go around the person in front??

PsyOps

Pixelated
A few good links on this subject if not posted already.

Maryland Keep Right - Slower Traffic Keep Right
State "keep right" laws
www.slowertraffickeepright.com

As well as a link to the Maryland Driver's Manual www.mva.maryland.gov/resources/dl-002b.pdf

Here is a quote from the manual

"F. Lane Driving
Your vehicle should be driven in a single lane. Do
not switch lanes until you determine it is safe to do
so. You should avoid drifting across lane lines and
making lane changes within an intersection.
Generally, you should keep your vehicle to the right
of the center of the roadway, unless you are passing
another vehicle going in the same direction
, there
is a traffic signal designating it is okay to do so, or
there is an obstruction that makes it necessary to
safely adjust your position."

and

"When being passed by another vehicle, you must
yield to the other vehicle and not increase your
speed."

First of all… Why would I be passing someone going in the opposite direction?

Second… Increasing you speed when someone tries to pass you in SOMD is required and is common sense. Just ask FED_UP. :ohwell:

bcp

In My Opinion
Maybe he should have waited for those of us that had the green light and right of way to pass by first and then pull out once there was a red light, thus giving him a break in traffic.

I just did a google on that intersection to see, and you are right, he should have waited for the light to change to give him his break to cut across.

bcp

In My Opinion

If I go to Europe, I will certainly drive by their laws.
However, Im here, in the U.S so I have no option but to drive our laws.
and the posted speed limit is not a suggestion, it is the maximum allowed with perfect road conditions.
Next time you get a ticket, try telling the judge that the posted limit is only a suggestion.

PsyOps

Pixelated
The average drive does not drive the speed limit, thats just the way it is. I thought I mentioned that already. :whistle: If they get a ticket that is on them.

Hmmm, is that your common sense analysis? Do most people drive over the speed limit because they are impatient and in a hurry; or because they feel they might be slowing other fast drivers down?

When it’s 55 I will do between 60 and 62. That’s is the speed I feel is safest for me and not feel I am impeding people behind me. This morning I was in the right lane on rt 4 coming up on the 301 exits. There wasn’t much traffic so I set my cruise for 60. This pinhead came up on me and rode my bumper. I couldn’t even see his headlights he was so close. When the exit lane opened up he shot into it, passed me on the right and cut back in front of me. One car – this bonehead had to get around one car. If he had been paying more attention he would have noticed there were two trucks ahead going pretty slow. By the time he got in front of me he got jammed behind that slower traffic, I moved to the left lane to pass, and passed him and everyone else stuck behind the trucks. The guys stupidity ‘common sense’ and impatience caused him to set himself farther back than if he were to just wait it out, get off my ### and move to the left when a gap opened.

The point is – and that I have made several times in these types of threads – there is no speed that is fast enough. If I were to do 75 in a 55 to pass someone, there would still be someone coming up on me going faster, riding my bumper and flashing his high beams for me to get out of his all-important way. So I’ve decided to screw all you NASCAR people and just do the speed I want to do when passing, and I will get out of the way when I get out of the way. If you have a problem with it, I really don’t care. I have far more important things to worry about than whether I am impeding you precious little time. You’re not that important that I have to feel I have to risk my life because you have no patience.

If that angers or bothers you – seek help.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Ya' know what I find amusing? I'll use 234 as an example since this has happened more than a few times. I'm tooling along at 50 mph, and someone rolls up behind me and starts riding my ass 'cuz I'm not going fast enough for them...when I see a break in the oncoming traffic for the asshat behind me to pass me, or move a bit to my right, and slow down a bit so it's easier for them to pass, and they don't take it. They're riding my ass because they're afraid to pass me.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
If I go to Europe, I will certainly drive by their laws.
However, Im here, in the U.S so I have no option but to drive our laws.
and the posted speed limit is not a suggestion, it is the maximum allowed with perfect road conditions.
Next time you get a ticket, try telling the judge that the posted limit is only a suggestion.

I know. I don't understand why people even bring up how people drive in other countries. Especially when we have states in our own country that have "keep right" laws.