Breaking News - Terri Schiavo Case - Appeal Lost

Bogart

When they are all dead and meet on the other side she is going to ##### slap her parents and say 'Why were you self-centered *******s keeping me out of heaven for so long? Gosh!'

Christy

b*tch rocket
Bogart said:
When they are all dead and meet on the other side she is going to ##### slap her parents and say 'Why were you self-centered *******s keeping me out of heaven for so long? Gosh!'
:duh: Will not. :razz:

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
Christy said:
I totally disagree. I think the husband is being a prick and has denied her proper care for years. :shrug:
What do you consider "proper care" in her instance? If I have to be a burden on my friends and family for years to come, pull the plug on me right away. I don't want anyone to remember me as a "vegetable." :ohwell:

Christy

b*tch rocket
Chasey_Lane said:
What do you consider "proper care" in her instance? If I have to be a burden on my friends and family for years to come, pull the plug on me right away. I don't want anyone to remember me as a "vegetable." :ohwell:
He's refused any form of rehabilitative care from the beginning. There's a whole lot you can do and just because she can't communicate, does not make her a vegetable. There's just too many things doctor's don't know and science doesn't know in regards to how the brain works. Technically, according to the MRI's done on my father, he should be dead, not up walking around. :shrug: I'm sorry, but I've been in the position of being fully alert and totally paralyzed, not able to speak or move. Hence my "do not pull the plug" clause in my will. :lol:

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
Christy said:
He's refused any form of rehabilitative care from the beginning. There's a whole lot you can do and just because she can't communicate, does not make her a vegetable. There's just too many things doctor's don't know and science doesn't know in regards to how the brain works. Technically, according to the MRI's done on my father, he should be dead, not up walking around. :shrug: I'm sorry, but I've been in the position of being fully alert and totally paralyzed, not able to speak or move. Hence my "do not pull the plug" clause in my will. :lol:
But...look at Terry when she does communicate. How long has she been in this state? Almost 20 years or something?

IMO, there is a difference between "possible" rehabilitation, and "no effing way." :ohwell:

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
Christy said:
When the day comes that I can't wipe my own ass, I'm outta here.

Pete

Repete
In the end we are just a pile of $1.85 worth of minerals and a few gallons of water. The only difference is having cognitive thought.

hamsterfang

The hamster litter reject
Bruzilla said:
No, she is pretty much brain dead. The cases that people like to bring up about people being in vegatative states for years and then recovering are cases of brain damage. Loosely defined, that means that the neural paths in the brain that control motor functions and conciousness have been severed, usually due to an accident, and are no longer functioning. It's like trying to start a car with the starter wire cut - the ignition is on, voltage is flowing, but there's no way to get the engine started.

Gotcha. I was imagining her just being badly brain damaged, maybe still a bit self-aware. After 20 years, it doesn't seem as there is much hope left.

B

Bruzilla

Christy said:
There's a whole lot you can do and just because she can't communicate, does not make her a vegetable.

It's not a cse of merely not being able to communicate. They can measure the electrical activity in her brain, and most of it is dead. She's like the chicken that had its head cut off, but enough of the brain stem remained to control basic motor functions. As long as the farmer kept forcing food and water down its throat, it walked around just as it always had... it just bumped into everything. It would even bend down to eat feed even though there was no longer any beak to eat with... just because that was the natural reflex.

One of the nurses who worked this case also helped my Dad, and she told me that it's wierd being in the room with her. When you see on TV how her gaze is following a baloon held by her mom, it's actually the mom moving the balloon to follow Terri's gaze. Her body goes through several reflexive actions every few hours, like "looking" around, even when there's nothing to see. She's just pure motorized instinct at this time.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Christy said:
I'm sorry, but I've been in the position of being fully alert and totally paralyzed, not able to speak or move.
But it wasn't for 10 years, or however long this woman's been laying in a hospital bed.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I want it on record that if I ever become a vegetable, I want Bruzilla in charge of pulling the plug and not Christy. :lol:

Christy

b*tch rocket
Bruzilla said:
It's not a cse of merely not being able to communicate. They can measure the electrical activity in her brain, and most of it is dead.
Guess what, almost the entire left upper lobe of my father's brain is "dead", but he's up and walking around and knows exactly what's going on. I'm sorry, you all can call me a loon, but I'm not for pulling the plug on anyone in these circumstances. If I can breathe on my own they damn well better feed me and keep me alive. :lol: I wouldn't even want to take the chance that she's still in there somewhere knowing what the hell is going on and not being able to let anyone know that there is.

Christy

b*tch rocket
vraiblonde said:
But it wasn't for 10 years, or however long this woman's been laying in a hospital bed.
Doesn't matter. :razz: And just because one can't move and "wipe their own azz" :lol: doesn't mean they can't have a good quality of life. Just being around people who love you and will talk to you is a pretty good quality of life if you ask me. :shrug: But I guess I'm easy to please. :lol:

B

Bruzilla

Christy said:
If I can breathe on my own they damn well better feed me and keep me alive. :lol: I wouldn't even want to take the chance that she's still in there somewhere knowing what the hell is going on and not being able to let anyone know that there is.

I see your point, but I would ask you to carefully consider what you're saying... take away the emotion from it if you will, and look at the practical side of it all. Most people get irratated when they can't leave their house for a few days during a snow storm. Most people couldn't handle being locked up in a cell for the rest of their life. Try lying on your bed with your eyes closed and not moving a muscle. See how long you can do that, and imagine a life where you're like that until you die of natural causes. No seeing, speaking, eating, drinking, sex, going to movies, driving... nothing but blackness and being unable to move. How long do you think you would want to live like that?

K

Kizzy

Christy said:
Doesn't matter. :razz: And just because one can't move and "wipe their own azz" :lol: doesn't mean they can't have a good quality of life. Just being around people who love you and will talk to you is a pretty good quality of life if you ask me. :shrug: But I guess I'm easy to please. :lol:

Yeah, people can come in and read to you what is going on daily with the forums, after a while, you'll gather enough will to pull your own plug. :lmao: