Buying first handgun

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I have the "Pit Bull" with Hogue grips.

I bought it custom.. so it has adjustable BoMar sights (wish they had a tritium blade) and a custom Bar-Sto barrel that is exceptionally tight in the receiver. VERY accurate.

Also a pair of synthetic grips, but can't remember who makes them.

When I was shooting frequently thought about getting it ported.. but never got around to it.

smilin

BOXER NATION
I have the "Pit Bull" with Hogue grips.

I tend to buy weapons that I'm interested in firing. I shoot a Marlin lever action for that old west experience, but my favorite has to be a Hawkins black powder. It doesn't kick as much as pushes you back. We actually got up to three shots a minute once (before my SF bud forgot the powder!).:lmao:
I'd like to get one of the old revolvers, something like a Navy Colt or Dragoon.

Last edited:

Novus Collectus

I tend to buy weapons that I'm interested in firing. I shoot a Marlin lever action for that old west experience, but my favorite has to be a Hawkins black powder. It doesn't kick as much as pushes you back. We actually got up to three shots a minute once (before my SOF bud forgot the powder!).:lmao:
I'd like to get one of the old revolvers, something like a Navy Colt or Dragoon.
I have a number of cap and ball BP revolvers. All are replica 1858 Remingtons except for an open top Colt (I think it is an 1860). They are fun, but reloading them can get tedious so I bought a .45 Long Colt conversion cylinder for one and it is a blast!
What I want next is a smokeless powder, cap and ball muzzle loading revolver. It would be a lot longer before it fouled.

Magnum

Should be Huntin
I tend to buy weapons that I'm interested in firing. I shoot a Marlin lever action for that old west experience, but my favorite has to be a Hawkins black powder. It doesn't kick as much as pushes you back. We actually got up to three shots a minute once (before my SOF bud forgot the powder!).:lmao:

I have an old Hawkins. I used to carry that hunting over my shotgun :yay:

I have an old black powder revolver. I only carried it 2 years hunting..... I killed a snake with it once:lmao: I kicked a log deer hunting and this big 'ol snake came out, that revolver tore it up. I actually just wiped it down yesterday, I let it sit too long, now it's seized up.

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
Just got my safe yesterday:yahoo:

Now I keep my .45 under the pillow, 1 shotgun leaning against the bed and another shotgun midway to the safe from my room :yay:

I like my .45. Never really shot any handguns until I got it. It takes a lot of getting used too. I kept hitting low all the time. Starting to get better with more practice. Now I put a new barrel and bushing on it. Old bushing was cracked so I can't wait to see if it shoots better now.

I like the 1911's so many parts and pieces out there.

I think I am getting another .45 soon, then going for the DE .50, then the S&W 500 :yay:

Either you're rich, don't shoot much or reload. Those are all pretty expensive to shoot.

Last edited:

DEEKAYPEE8569

What is a good gun?

Where in Southern MD can I buy one?

General shooting, not for sport shooting or hunting.
----------------------------------------------------------
If you are a novice; like myself; and you want a "dependable" gun, I recommend the High Point 1911 9mm. I boought [it] and a TUARUS PT111 at the Tackle Box.

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
If you are a novice; like myself; and you want a "dependable" gun, I recommend the High Point 1911 9mm. I boought [it] and a TUARUS PT111 at the Tackle Box.

No offense but the Tackle Box, although it maybe convenient to alot of people in SOMD is not where I would go to buy a gun. The prices alone would keep me away, not to mention the sometimes shotty advice.

Best advice is to go to a range up the road that will let you fondle and shoot several guns.

Come back on here and let me know what you like and I bet I can find it cheaper than any of the stores sell it around this area.

itsbob

I bowl overhand

I can't believe you said 1911 and 9mm in the same sentence...

T

toppick08

No offense but the Tackle Box, although it maybe convenient to alot of people in SOMD is not where I would go to buy a gun. The prices alone would keep me away, not to mention the sometimes shotty advice.

Best advice is to go to a range up the road that will let you fondle and shoot several guns.

Come back on here and let me know what you like and I bet I can find it cheaper than any of the stores sell it around this area.

Does Tommy Bennet in Leonardtown still sell pistols?

J and M

If the pistol range by Andrews is still open, I think you can rent guns to shoot in there. Shooters Paradise in NOVA has a variety of used pistols and a range. You can try before you buy. They may also do handgun safety courses there.

You should try several calibers and models to see what you like best. I have a variety of calibers and my Kimber 1911 is my favorite for targets. It is dead on accurate and I can put anything through it, handloads or store bought. My 357 revolver is fun for plinkin around, but it's a revolver (personal preference, semi-auto over revolver). My 9mm just sits in the safe because once I bought the Kimber the 9 isn't as fun to shoot...cheaper, but not as much fun.

Ponytail

GO to msar and rent their guns. They may not have the exact gun make that you'll wind up with, but use the rentals to find the caliber that you may want. Consider price of ammo if you plan to shoot regularly. You can get one helluva a nice piece for $1500, but if you don't plan to shoot it all that often, a very nice shooter can be had for a 3rd of that.

Though, if I had $1500 to spare, I'd be gettin myself a .44mag Desert Eagle, in black and still have plenty left over for a bunch of ammo.

Magnum

Should be Huntin
GO to msar and rent their guns. They may not have the exact gun make that you'll wind up with, but use the rentals to find the caliber that you may want. Consider price of ammo if you plan to shoot regularly. You can get one helluva a nice piece for $1500, but if you don't plan to shoot it all that often, a very nice shooter can be had for a 3rd of that.

Though, if I had $1500 to spare, I'd be gettin myself a .44mag Desert Eagle, in black and still have plenty left over for a bunch of ammo.

Why not go for the 50?

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
...the .44 is a freaking canon as it is.

The .50 ought to come with a bi pod, folding stock and bayonet lug. :lmao:

Really with a hot loaded .44 mag there is almost no difference than the .50 AE. Power in recoil are close to the same. The .50 AE ammo is alot harder to find and more expensive.

Here is a picture for some comparison of some of the big boys.

from left to right .50GI, .50AE, .44mag, .500WE, and S&W .500 mag.

Attachments

• Fifties001.jpg
    Fifties001.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 209