Buying first handgun

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Here we go!

Based on the info. held within this link, (the links within this link too) it seems that most experts disagree. Your analogy about knocking down steel plates doesn't exactly translate to humans. I agree a 230 gr. bullet will probably knock a steel plate down with more force than a 115 gr.

AR15.COM

If I read this correctly, the wound channel for the .45 is better than the others. It's bigger and it meets the stated qualification of the 'FBI' guideline.

It makes the biggest hole as well, another FBI criteria.

In the real world, the FBI didn't move down in bullet size after stuff like this;

FBI-Miami Shootout

And most everything that gets into the endless gory details show that, by and large, bigger is better.

Ponytail

If I read this correctly, the wound channel for the .45 is better than the others. It's bigger and it meets the stated qualification of the 'FBI' guideline.

It makes the biggest hole as well, another FBI criteria.

In the real world, the FBI didn't move down in bullet size after stuff like this;

FBI-Miami Shootout

And most everything that gets into the endless gory details show that, by and large, bigger is better.

And this is another reason why my first handgun was the .44 mag, with the Holosite. After seeing what it does to phonebooks, Woodchucks, gallon jugs of water,etc., I'd hate to be the one on the recieving end of a 300 gr hollowpoint.

The holosite makes a really nice night site. Only you can see the red dot, and it's in an open field of view, not a tube, so target acquisition at night is cake. No flashlight necessary.

The rednecks that I used to shoot with when living in Georgia used to get pissed. We used to shoot at night. The cans would already be moving before they could find their pins. :lol:

Ponytail

Basically, for stopping power, the argument for/against the calibers is ageless.

There is no such thing as a one shot stopper. They are flukes. It's been documented that criminals shot with everything from 38's to 12 guage slugs have kept on fighting. Some, including the one with the 12 guage slug Center of Mass, have gone on to kill an officer prior to passing themselves.

You buy for Self Defense, what you are comfortable shooting, shooting accurately and quickly, and can shoot while moving. Well placed QUALITY bullets from a 9mm will get you a dead criminal just as fast as a .45 can.

But I know, that in a tense situation, I'll be able to hit that target more frequently, and much quicker, with a 9mm than with a .40 or .45.

I did not buy my handguns, any of them, for Self Defense. I do however carry from time to time, now that I'm not living in Md anymore, and I do have one readily available at home that is only accessible by me and impossible for the kids to reach, if for some reason they did find out that I even have guns in the house and I do have ammo that I have purchased for the strict purpose of self defense.

My next gun purchase will be a 9mm specifically for CCW, and I made that decision based on many factors, including the fact that I know my g/f can shoot it comfortably and hit the target with it every time.

Magnum

Should be Huntin
Basically, for stopping power, the argument for/against the calibers is ageless.

There is no such thing as a one shot stopper. They are flukes. It's been documented that criminals shot with everything from 38's to 12 guage slugs have kept on fighting. Some, including the one with the 12 guage slug Center of Mass, have gone on to kill an officer prior to passing themselves.

You buy for Self Defense, what you are comfortable shooting, shooting accurately and quickly, and can shoot while moving. Well placed QUALITY bullets from a 9mm will get you a dead criminal just as fast as a .45 can.

But I know, that in a tense situation, I'll be able to hit that target more frequently, and much quicker, with a 9mm than with a .40 or .45.

I did not buy my handguns, any of them, for Self Defense. I do however carry from time to time, now that I'm not living in Md anymore, and I do have one readily available at home that is only accessible by me and impossible for the kids to reach, if for some reason they did find out that I even have guns in the house and I do have ammo that I have purchased for the strict purpose of self defense.

My next gun purchase will be a 9mm specifically for CCW, and I made that decision based on many factors, including the fact that I know my g/f can shoot it comfortably and hit the target with it every time.
What state are you in now?

Anyone know what the CCW is like for PA or WV? Is it as hard to get as one in MD?

Ponytail

What state are you in now?

Anyone know what the CCW is like for PA or WV? Is it as hard to get as one in MD?

I'm in PA. It's easy...fairly easy, depending on the county. But for the most part, easy as filling out an app. Can't have a criminal background. Must have 2 verifiable, non-family, references. Costs $45 and takes approx 90 days. And they do call EVERY number that you put on there.

You can download an app from the web... Heres the one from my county...

Need all 3 pages, at the bottom of the link page.
Delaware County PA

Last edited:
T

toppick08

7mm Remington's and .300 Winchester's will cause a fugitive to stop dead in their tracks.......popcorn.

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
7mm Remington's and .300 Winchester's will cause a fugitive to stop dead in their tracks.......popcorn.

Rifles are a different story, my point is, there is no significant difference between .45acp and 9mm as far as "knockdown power" on a human target. I agree I want bigger and heavier for the most part in a HG. I think what I am trying to convey is that with today's premium rounds there is no significant differences in the major HG calibers. In ball ammo there is a bit more difference, I wouldn't feel under gunned having a 9mm with 15 rds. of 147gr. Speer Gold dots, no more than I would feel under gunned with 10 rds. of 230gr. Gold dots.

Ofcourse if available I'd always take a shot-gun or rifle, if available.

edinsomd

People will reccomend their favorite gun in general, you should go and handle as many as possible before you decide what to buy.

This is the correct answer. For a first firearm, I would recommend a .357 Magnum revolver. A wheel gun is very easy to use, and this caliber can chamber less expensive .38s for target/training/plinking. For social occasions, 125 grain Jacketed Hollow Points in .357 Mag are world class.
Ed

This is the correct answer. For a first firearm, I would recommend a .357 Magnum revolver. A wheel gun is very easy to use, and this caliber can chamber less expensive .38s for target/training/plinking. For social occasions, 125 grain Jacketed Hollow Points in .357 Mag are world class.
Ed

When my father dies I inherited his S&W Patrolman's Special .357 Magnum... one day I went out to shoot a whole crap-load of .38's with a buddy and bought a box of .357's for grins... it was a white box, with plain black writing - I think it was American Eagle or something along those line - VERY GENERIC looking. We shot about 700 or so Ball Ammo before we broke these out...

The first one I squeezed off I thought I broke my eff'ing hand! Man, those were some REALLY HOT factory loads! My buddy swore I was holding the gun too loose so I gave it to him and he shot it... he quickly changed them out to .38's to finish the day after that!

A few weeks later we shot them up knowing what we were in for... man oh man did they throw fire! :lol:

Bottom line - I love that gun - it is so easy to shoot... it is the first pistol my wife shot and she can shoot that gun ALL day long and have fun!

edinsomd

When my father dies I inherited his S&W Patrolman's Special .357 Magnum... one day I went out to shoot a whole crap-load of .38's with a buddy and bought a box of .357's for grins... it was a white box, with plain black writing - I think it was American Eagle or something along those line - VERY GENERIC looking. We shot about 700 or so Ball Ammo before we broke these out...

The first one I squeezed off I thought I broke my eff'ing hand! Man, those were some REALLY HOT factory loads! My buddy swore I was holding the gun too loose so I gave it to him and he shot it... he quickly changed them out to .38's to finish the day after that!

A few weeks later we shot them up knowing what we were in for... man oh man did they throw fire! :lol:

Bottom line - I love that gun - it is so easy to shoot... it is the first pistol my wife shot and she can shoot that gun ALL day long and have fun!

I fondly remember the first time my nephew fired a .357, he was 15 and thought he was cool sh!t. He fired some .38s, and watched me shoot .357. His turn, BLAM! rocked back on his heels hair blown back eyes wide all white and pistol pointed at the roof! "Day-um Uncle Ed!" Me, "Recover, sight picture, fire." And he did!
Ed:yahoo:

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
Ed

I'd go a step further and recommend a Ruger GP100 .357mag for a first revolver/handgun. They can be had for less than $500 here locally and they will last forever, no need to ever worry about shooting full power loads out of them because they well hold up to the hottest load. Sure maybe Ruger's aren't as "nice" as Smith's but they are less expensive and more rugged/durable anf IMO make a great first revolver.

Of course like any gun, you should atleast fondle it before buying.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Ahhh.... I remember buying my first handgun...

... It was a dusky morning off of Eastern Avenue, when a street gentlemen by the name of D-Wane pulled up in his beat-up black van....

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
I personally own the Beretta 92F in the 9mm flavor - a really nice shooting gun, it feels big in your hands... Once I narrowed it down to the caliber I went and picked up every model made and settled on the Beretta because it FELT right.

I love my Beretta. It has a nice feel in my hand.

glhs837

Power with Control
I love my Beretta. It has a nice feel in my hand.

tallahasse_zombie_thread.jpg