California College Chancellor Wants To Abolish Algebra Requirement, Calls It A ‘Civil Rights Issue’

Restitution

If people learn differently, teach them differently.

Who said make adjustments for everybody. If you have people who are failing to understand a topic, try to find a way to make it more relatable to them.

THIS^^^ is what you said.

I would like to know how exactly a teacher/professor is supposed to cater the lesson (any lesson) specifically so that each and every student in his/her class is supposed to "relate to it" personally?

"Get a tutor" is not an acceptable answer.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
KIND of. Very basic algebra of the kind being discussed is more like applied basic math.

3x = 12 - that's simple algebra.

Fair Enough ..... I doubt that is what the OP Article was about

the algebra I remember being taught in the 9th grad involved

First
Outer
Inner
Last

3x(4y-5)/25 = A

kinda crap

if this is what I was taught in the 9th grade in 1980 .... I'd imagine college Algebra as being more difficult
[but that is just my conformation bias from 37 yrs ago, course work may very well be dumbed down now]

Midnightrider

THIS^^^ is what you said.

I would like to know how exactly a teacher/professor is supposed to cater the lesson (any lesson) specifically so that each and every student in his/her class is supposed to "relate to it" personally?

"Get a tutor" is not an acceptable answer.
hey dumbass, this was my first post on the subject. go troll someone dumb enough to fall for it
Good work proving that there are stupid white people too.

But seriously, if you can't pass community college level algebra they shouldn't give you a degree, even an AA. I know it's not easy for some people, but it's one class and if you are struggling you can get a tutor. Not to mention many people could test out of algebra in 8th grade.

Fair Enough ..... I doubt that is what the OP Article was about

the algebra I remember being taught in the 9th grad involved

First
Outer
Inner
Last

3x(4y-5)/25 = A

kinda crap

if this is what I was taught in the 9th grade in 1980 .... I'd imagine college Algebra as being more difficult
[but that is just my conformation bias from 37 yrs ago, course work may very well be dumbed down now]

that's basic algebra. No mysteries, no tricks, just some good old basic math. CC algebra is not some impossible ask.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
.... I'd imagine college Algebra as being more difficult

Linear Algebra and Differential Equations were taught as a sequential pair of classes when I was in ME school. I still use the heck out of both And Calculus..and Trigonometry...all indispensable (marine vehicle dynamics; modeling, simulation and control) .

Restitution

hey dumbass, this was my first post on the subject. go troll someone dumb enough to fall for it.

True. But then you posted exactly what I referenced above. That is what I was asking about. NOT what you are quoting here.

Would you care to respond to my question about the post that I referenced instead of deflecting to a different post?

EDIT: Nevermind... I won't pursue this because there IS NO answer. Simply, because the point you made (the one that I referenced) is preposterous.. Also, I do not care to get sucked into yet another long argument with you.

Last edited:

Midnightrider

True. But then you posted exactly what I referenced above. That is what I was asking about. NOT what you are quoting here.

Would you care to respond to my question about the post that I referenced instead of deflecting to a different post?

why does your breath smell like my balls?

All of my statements are related and none of them are contradictory. Now go away :yay:

Restitution

the answer was there, you are just too much of a troll to accept it. :yay:

Actually...NO. You never answered my question. You simply stated "Get a tutor" was a proper response and it is not.

So, I will ask again.

SamSpade

You know - I wonder - so many of our great statesman would have sucked at algebra.
Something like twelve of our Presidents never went to or completed college.
Including Washington, Monroe, Jackson and Lincoln.
(I think what amazes me is that men pass the bar exam without a degree. Here I thought it was a requirement).

Some were actually scientists in their own right and would have been GREAT at math.
Jefferson was an inventor and scientist and Hoover was an engineer.
Of course, being good at math didn't make Hoover a great President.
Jimmy Carter was a Academy grad with a Bachelor of Science and went to their nuclear program.
Again - math didn't mean he was a good President.

So maybe math isn't essential for a good education.
I just don't think a degree ought to be conferred upon a math "illiterate".

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
the answer was there, you are just too much of a troll to accept it. :yay:

If you upgrade to Premo you can delete when you make stupid ass posts. In your case it's really probably worth the investment. I see you using it often........just sayin'

Midnightrider

You know - I wonder - so many of our great statesman would have sucked at algebra.
Something like twelve of our Presidents never went to or completed college.
Including Washington, Monroe, Jackson and Lincoln.
(I think what amazes me is that men pass the bar exam without a degree. Here I thought it was a requirement).

Some were actually scientists in their own right and would have been GREAT at math.
Jefferson was an inventor and scientist and Hoover was an engineer.
Of course, being good at math didn't make Hoover a great President.
Jimmy Carter was a Academy grad with a Bachelor of Science and went to their nuclear program.
Again - math didn't mean he was a good President.

So maybe math isn't essential for a good education.
I just don't think a degree ought to be conferred upon a math "illiterate".

Yep, and that is exactly why we have algebra as the bar. It shows that you can do a little More than count on your fingers and memorize the 'times tables'. If you have a degree you should at least be able to demonstrate a meaningful understanding of basic math. That's why all colleges have core courses that we all have to take.

black dog

Free America
Yep, and that is exactly why we have algebra as the bar. It shows that you can do a little More than count on your fingers and memorize the 'times tables'. If you have a degree you should at least be able to demonstrate a meaningful understanding of basic math. That's why all colleges have core courses that we all have to take.

I hate to inform you, my kid just graduated from Chopticon this year and when he was at Lettie Dent they didn't teach any time's tables. That was the parents responsibly to take care of.

Clem72

I hate to inform you, my kid just graduated from Chopticon this year and when he was at Lettie Dent they didn't teach any time's tables. That was the parents responsibly to take care of.

For whatever reason I was never taught "times tables" either, which I am fairly certain was standard practice at the time. The teachers just assumed I already knew them. Overall, I think it was a positive. I couldn't rattle off the answer to simple multiplication questions as fast as the other kids, but working them out every time forced me to break the problems down into manageable parts (kind of like some of the common core concepts, I believe). So if someone asked what's 8 times 7, which I didn't have memorized I would have to think "well 7x10 is easy, and 7x2 is easy, so 70-14 is 56" But that took 3 seconds instead of 1. Eventually most of the single digit multiplications got memorized just from answering questions, but by then I had a good grasp of how to break problems down so I learned two things instead of just 1.