Campers????

poster

Anyone been to Duncan's Family Campground?
Condsidering an early spring, 'get the kinks out' trip and not sure if we should consider it.

hotcoffee

Condsidering an early spring, 'get the kinks out' trip and not sure if we should consider it.

I haven't been over in that area in a few years. I gotta say it was definitely cool. They had a pool, nightly music. They had an archade, snack bar, and a country store. It was busy all the time. Yep.... it was cool.... I haven't heard anything other than that for some time.

BOP

You know the high today is supposed to be 26 degrees, don't you?

I'm tent camping in Montgomery Co. this weekend. Low of 16 last night. Supposed to go down to 10 tonight. GREAT weather. HOTcampfires are good.

LusbyMom

You're a LOON :)
It's the perfect place to go to work out the kinks. We camped there this past summer. The kids love the pool and the little slide it has.. We always request to stay on Cindy's Circle..

poster

Yes, we're thinking about going in the SPRING, not now.
This cold weather has got us thinking about warmer months to come, can't wait for them to get here.

Thanks all!

I'm tent camping in Montgomery Co. this weekend. Low of 16 last night. Supposed to go down to 10 tonight. GREAT weather. HOTcampfires are good.

It's a biatch when your eggs freeze and the tent stakes are frozen into the ground and you have to leave them behind.

:lol:

twinoaks207

Having Fun!
Yes, we're thinking about going in the SPRING, not now.
This cold weather has got us thinking about warmer months to come, can't wait for them to get here.

Thanks all!

I went camping with scouts once in mid-April. Sweats, t-shirt, tights, 2 pairs of socks, hat, still froze my azz off. Darn sleeping bag was only rated to 40 degrees. Got up at 3 am & sat by the fire with the Mom who was keeping it going -- she had hot coffee to share. The woman was an absolute goddess!! :lol:

FastCarsSpeed

Come Play at BigWoodys
The campground it cool but I would recommend that you get a lot over on the right side of the pool. The new full hookup sites they put in are very very very close together and not much shade to speak of. I will say that the bath houses were a little rough but it was a very busy weekend last year. It is a perfect place to get the kinks worked out for the season though.

Gigi22

Little Bennett?

We went there to preview the campground last year.. My friend said it was great.. It was spring, and the campground was filthy... The dirt even looked dirty.. It looked like families were living there which is fine but, it looked like a dump.. But, I will go there for another preview and see if it was just a fluke and they have cleaned it up.. I hope so because it would be nice to go somewhere close to home. I am just saying... if you can preview campgrounds do it because what they promote and what really is could be alot different... just saying..

Off of 66? It's a dump. :boo: Every time my wife and I pass the sign on 66 we look at each other and laugh.

Unless they have done some radical changes/cleaning in the past 4 years I would not go back. It is not like trash is on the ground, but had a tough time trying to find the road instead of a footpath through all the leaves and branches on the ground...

The "premium" sites near the pool has no shade - and you are quite close to each other...

...and to get back in the wooded area was a bit tricky... You pick your own spot and to navigate around to find anything decent you would be best to park and walk the area first.

Last edited:

rwethereyet

Yeah, okay.
We were considering Duncan's Family Campground also since Bethpage raised their rates this year. I've had family go and like it and go back every year, but I haven't been there yet.

bcp

In My Opinion
We were considering Duncan's Family Campground also since Bethpage raised their rates this year. I've had family go and like it and go back every year, but I haven't been there yet.

You are all talking about Duncans in Lothian right?

What was your impression of it.

By the way,
How was the Klondike Derby?

Nice campground. Want to go back with the family when it's warm.

Our troop came in 3rd, which surprises me as we only had 8 boys and most of them are younger scouts and don't know much.

I did not see any of the derby itself as we followed the directions given by the organizers (and BSA) and left the boys alone and let it be a BOY led activity, not an ADULT led activitiy. We (the adults from my troop) stayed in the campsite drinking coffee and keeping the campfire going. We did get the water boiling before the boys came back for lunch so that they could cook their lunch faster and get back to the derby action.

This was the 3rd year in a row that the troop has gone. They want to go back again next year.