Cartoonist Slammed As 'Racist' For Serena Williams Cartoon

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
It wasn't that big a deal. Serena yelled at him, argued with him, and in the heat of the moment she said that because he robbed her of a point, he was also a thief. She rightfully said that men aren't punished in this manner, and she's right - there are any number of examples of male players yelling and cussing this exact same official and only receiving a warning.

The media and general public who didn't even watch it are tut tutting about her "horrible tirade", and those who follow tennis and actually saw the match are like, "Meh."

Serena's "epic meltdown" wasn't all that. What the cartoonist perfectly captured was the difference between big powerful Serena and little bitty feminine Naomi, and I have no doubt that that physical difference is what is people are reacting to. Had it been girlie Naomi yelling at a ref, they'd have been like, "Isn't she cute? :cheekpinch:" But because she's a muscular black woman, she's seen as threatening.

I have no doubt that's what is fueling this.

Do you find it disturbing that you and the fish are on the same side? Remember that he's batting like 0 out of 400 by now.

Hijinx

What jumped out at me is how the cartoonist portrayed Naomi Osaka as a white girl with a blonde ponytail. Forget how offensive it is for him to portray Serena as a fat ghetto Walmart mama.

By all accounts Serena is a nice woman, a fair player, and a generous supporter of young tennis players. She doesn't deserve this ugliness and you all are going to hell for engaging in it.

I have done a lot of things in this life that might send me to hell, but I doubt that not being as fond of Serena as you, will be one of them.

Toxick

Splat
My $0.02:

I'm not a big Tennis guy. I do know that I've seen John McEnroe swear like a psychopath and throw #### referees. Williams behavior doesn't even approach the things I've seen while scrolling past tennis events. Now, I have never used the phrase "victim of the patriarchy" and I don't intend to now (in fact, I just threw up a little in my mouth typing that) however, there does appear to be a double standard. I don't know whether it's based on race, sex, or just that the referee was an overly-sensitive little bitch - but I do know that I've seen a lot less made of much worse.

Now, as for the cartoon, the first time I saw it, my first thought was, "What moron editor let that slip by". I don't care what anyone says her caricature looks like something that came out of a 1940's Bugs Bunny cartoon. Anyone who denies that it's completely inappropriate and racist is either in denial, or ####ing retarded.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I don't care what anyone says her caricature looks like something that came out of a 1940's Bugs Bunny cartoon.

The one where Bugs gets captured and thrown in the pot by the headhunter tribe. That's the first thing I thought of when I saw it.

Smokey1

My $0.02:

I'm not a big Tennis guy. I do know that I've seen John McEnroe swear like a psychopath and throw #### referees. Williams behavior doesn't even approach the things I've seen while scrolling past tennis events. Now, I have never used the phrase "victim of the patriarchy" and I don't intend to now (in fact, I just threw up a little in my mouth typing that) however, there does appear to be a double standard. I don't know whether it's based on race, sex, or just that the referee was an overly-sensitive little bitch - but I do know that I've seen a lot less made of much worse.

Now, as for the cartoon, the first time I saw it, my first thought was, "What moron editor let that slip by". I don't care what anyone says her caricature looks like something that came out of a 1940's Bugs Bunny cartoon. Anyone who denies that it's completely inappropriate and racist is either in denial, or ####ing retarded.

A look into Ramos history of other matches determined that he is tough but very consistent with all players of both sexes.

Political cartoons are often done in caricature style which emphasizes noticeable characteristics of a subject. Not racist at all. Nothing about it even comes close to the definition of racism.

black dog

Free America
Waiting for the light to come on... :tap:

I was incorrigible at 3 why would I be any different at 60?
That's me, giving one of my Great Uncle's the raspberry sitting next to one of my ggmothers and my older sister...
21.jpg

Toxick

Splat
A look into Ramos history of other matches determined that he is tough but very consistent with all players of both sexes.

So he's an overly sensitive little bitch then. Fair enough.
Either way, I wasn't calling out the judge personally - I'm just saying what I said: I've seen a lot worse receive a lot less on the tennis court, and that's all there is to it.

Political cartoons are often done in caricature style which emphasizes noticeable characteristics of a subject. Not racist at all. Nothing about it even comes close to the definition of racism.

I stand by the last sentence in my post.

Smokey1

So he's an overly sensitive little bitch then. Fair enough.
Either way, I wasn't calling out the judge personally - I'm just saying what I said: I've seen a lot worse receive a lot less on the tennis court, and that's all there is to it.

I stand by the last sentence in my post.

Then you must not be familiar with caricatures. If you look at the cartoonists other work you would see that he does the same type of drawing for everyone regardless of their race or sex.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Then you must not be familiar with caricatures. If you look at the cartoonists other work you would see that he does the same type of drawing for everyone regardless of their race or sex.

If he wasn't a Raging Racist he would have made her caricature look like Jackie O.

black dog

Free America

My parents have a set of all of us that was done on the OC boardwalk that emphasize everything that's white about us. None of us or others have ever been offended by them..Just laughter when folks see them.