Cartoonist Slammed As 'Racist' For Serena Williams Cartoon

black dog

Free America
If he wasn't a Raging Racist he would have made her caricature look like Jackie O.

He could have made it realistic.....
46fc4c44e387476ebe88bf0044a34f5a_t1070_h7b942af9d7f09c4e10961f69e08cd6a93dab7a50.jpg

Looks like black Rocky or Arnold, just holding a racket instead of a 60 or a minigun.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
I could never get one of them to do a caricature of me. They always told me they couldn't make me look any funnier than I did in real life! :ohwell:

Toxick

Splat
I am not in denial or ####ing retarded, so I have to ask what about it is inappropriate and racist.

It doesn't matter what I say.

Seriously

If that is your response I see absolutely no path to an intellectually honest resolution.

So if you can't (or more likely, won't) see it, then I got nothing for you.

As I said in my first post, the caricature looks like something from a 1940's Bugs Bunny bit. When I saw the picture, I had no context. I didn't know who it was supposed to be, and I hadn't yet heard about Williams' kerfuffle with the ref. And my first thought was "WTF? Racist much?"

Even if the artist wasn't trying to be racially insensitive (and I'm sure that's probably true)I'm amazed the editor let that image pass QA. Regardless of intent - that image is just wrong.

This_person

It doesn't matter what I say.

Seriously

If that is your response I see absolutely no path to an intellectually honest resolution.

So if you can't (or more likely, won't) see it, then I got nothing for you.

As I said in my first post, the caricature looks like something from a 1940's Bugs Bunny bit. When I saw the picture, I had no context. I didn't know who it was supposed to be, and I hadn't yet heard about Williams' kerfuffle with the ref. And my first thought was "WTF? Racist much?"

Even if the artist wasn't trying to be racially insensitive (and I'm sure that's probably true)I'm amazed the editor let that image pass QA. Regardless of intent - that image is just wrong.

I think we can have an intellectually positive conversation.

Out of context, there's certainly two racial components to it. IN context, I HONESTLY just don't see it.

Here's my reasoning; in context, an athlete was acting in at least a very unsportsmanlike manner. As such, she is being ridiculed by the cartoonist. She happens to be a masculine black woman who dresses in unconventional ways. He took all of that and exaggerated it to ridicule her antics, including the destruction of her own racket.

It's Burt Reynolds being lampooned with "Turd Ferguson", or any of thousands of other SNL skits. That's what comics and cartoonists do.

black dog

Free America
You're just pissed because you know she could kick your ass.

LOL.. I tend to act like a civil human when I'm at work at least.....
And I don't stand there and point my finger and stompy feet and demand that
someone " Owes " me an apology while ranting... It's not fair.. it's not fair... It's not fair....
And I've never told any of my customers to f off or FU... That's for sure.
She's pulled these childish shenanigans her entire career...

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I think we can have an intellectually positive conversation.

Out of context, there's certainly two racial components to it. IN context, I HONESTLY just don't see it.

Here's my reasoning; in context, an athlete was acting in at least a very unsportsmanlike manner. As such, she is being ridiculed by the cartoonist. She happens to be a masculine black woman who dresses in unconventional ways. He took all of that and exaggerated it to ridicule her antics, including the destruction of her own racket.

It's Burt Reynolds being lampooned with "Turd Ferguson", or any of thousands of other SNL skits. That's what comics and cartoonists do.

I can't speak for Tox, but my take is that you are trying to convince me that you HONESTLY don't see that the sky is blue, and you're asking someone to debate it with you. Others may enjoy that sort of back and forth, but I do not.

This_person

I can't speak for Tox, but my take is that you are trying to convince me that you HONESTLY don't see that the sky is blue, and you're asking someone to debate it with you. Others may enjoy that sort of back and forth, but I do not.

No, I am trying to say that racism and sexism (by definition) requires a belief of superiority and/or inferiority. Toxic specifically said that he believes that not to be the case in this instance. So, we're left with it being inappropriate because it reminds some people of drawings done that did have the belief behind it.

The problem is in the mind of the beholder, not the drawing. That's the point I'm trying to make.

This_person

And, as an aside, the sky is NOT blue, it's transparent. Look up at 10 PM tonight and you will see I am correct.

Hijinx

If you don't want to be characterized as a Walmart big Mama offended.
You shouldn't act like one.

Is it racist? Yes, probably, at least at today's description of racist.

Actually it isn't any worse than some of the things I have seen caricatured of Donald Trump.

Smokey1

If you don't want to be characterized as a Walmart big Mama offended.
You shouldn't act like one.

Is it racist? Yes, probably, at least at today's description of racist.

Actually it isn't any worse than some of the things I have seen caricatured of Donald Trump.

Doesn't matter what some leftists call racism, the dictionary is the only authority on what is really racist and this doesn't fit the definition.