Catamarans - Hell's Kitchen ....Anyone go?

B

Bean

We have been twice. The food is excellent and Robert is a sweetheart.

sexy_pants

Because a customer talked too loud?..... :twitch:

Yup! When going to a restaurant that is about the same size at CD cafe', it's just common courtesy to keep your conversation at your table and not for all others who are sitting in the same room. They also thought it would be fun a great idea to turn on one of their singing stuffed animals during dinner. When going out to dinner and spending $90 on a meal, i want to be able to enjoy it in peace. I was glad that they sat families with kids upstairs. If it wasn't as cluttered, maybe it wouldn't have been a big deal.

lovinmaryland

Yup! When going to a restaurant that is about the same size at CD cafe', it's just common courtesy to keep your conversation at your table and not for all others who are sitting in the same room. They also thought it would be fun a great idea to turn on one of their singing stuffed animals during dinner. When going out to dinner and spending $90 on a meal, i want to be able to enjoy it in peace. I was glad that they sat families with kids upstairs. If it wasn't as cluttered, maybe it wouldn't have been a big deal.

I agree especially since it was Valentines Day. I would have been irritated as well.

twinoaks207

Having Fun!
I had lunch there one day in early January. Food was absolutely delicious. Can't wait to get back there to try something else on their menu!

Crashpupty

havoc is havoc

Sorry you had a bad time, but life happens. You either make the best of it or stay home. I know you can picture the perfect romantic meal ( out in the public) and crap always happens to throw a wrench into your plans. It happens to all of us. Go back on another day that isn't a Hallmark holiday and see what ya think. Pick another night out for the quiet romantic evening.

Uncle Charlie

Beer is Good!!!!
The place SUCKS!

I have been there twice. We went on December 21 for lunch, a group of 5 adults and 2 kids. Service was horrible, slow and not responsive. We ordered 4 of the corn/crab soup, a variety of sandwiches and chicken tenders for the kids. They served us a different kind of soup, without even asking, because they were out of the other. Chicken tenders for kids were burnt. They brought out what was supposed to be a rare burger that was MORE than well done. My Aunt ordered a grilled cheese, what she got was two pieces of toast with 2 slices of cheese between them. That is not a grilled cheese. I ordered fish, they didn't have it. I ordered a special that was average at best. Chef came out and talked to us but that was before the meal.

As they were new in business, thought I would give them another try so we went early on Saturday 2-13 with 5 P.M. reservations. They sat us upstairs near the windows facing the street. Had to move because it was so cold and drafty near the windows, no big deal. Nice waitress. We ordered 2 drinks, a Maitai and Martini...we got two Martini's and not the one we ordered and it took a long time to get those as the bartender was off doing something else but wasn't behind the bar.

At 5:25 we ordered 2 appetizers and our dinners. We got the lobster fritters and the crab dip and I got the cowboy bone in ribeye and spouse got stuffed flounder. At 5:40 we ordered two big beers. Bartender gone again...13 minutes later we got the beer. Waitress apologized and said how busy they were and that she had 9 tables and that was too many. She did not have 9 tables, she had 6 at the time and 4 of them were parties of 2 and 2 were parties of 4 with one having two children. At 6 the waitress apologized and said the kitchen was really backed up. At 6:20, we got two more small beers and another apology. At 6:30, manager calls our waitress over and wants to know which table didn't get what appetizers and she points to us. He doesn't come vover but she does and apologizes again. At 6:40, that is right 1 hour and 15 minutes later, we got our appetizers. Cheese dip was warm at best and had no crab meat in it. Lobster fritters were not thoroughly cooked and doughy and had 1 piece of lobster in 1 out of 5 of the fritters. Waitress assures us she will take care of us somehow, apologizes again and says, "I think I am going to quit after tonight. This happens all the time, we never get our food out fast and people take it out on me as their server and the managers never want to get involved and talk to people who are complaining." I joked with her when she said is there anything I else I can do for you right now and my response was, "maybe get our dinners out in less than 1 hour and 15 minutes" and she said in all seriousness, "Ill try but I don't know if that will happen!"

Well, it did happen. Dinner hit the table 15 minutes later and I do have to say, both of our entrees were great. Cooked and prepared as ordered and great flavor. Good enough for us to say, "we will try again".

THREE other tables around us had issues. All three had same slow service; one lady ordered a chicken dish with sausage and it came without the sausage. Table with kids had REAL hungry kids and were just about begging for anything to feed to the kids. Other couple gave up and left after paying for their drinks, told her they didn't have enought time to eat after waiting an hour.

The waitress DID knock my $28 steak off the tab. I also gave her a 20% tip even thoguh I would have normally dropped it to 15. I did this because MOST of the problems were not under her control and because it was Valentines day weekend.

Yes, the place was a little busy. Most tables downstairs were full and upstairs was not, never got geyond 8 tables. That is no excuse.

IF, and that is a big IF, I ever go back again, I am going to start our adventure off with speaking to Robert or the head manager to let them know of our bad experiences and that this is their last chance to make an impression. Dining is supposed to be a pleasant experience and I have not had any pleasure here yet. Giving me a $28 steak is not what I want. I want to pay for my meal and have a good experience. If you can't deliver that, you are not from Hell's Kitchen....you ARE the Kitchen from Hell!!

VenusDoom

Rock Star
I just made reservations for there tomorrow night for my mom's 50th birthday. They've promised to make it a very special occasion for her, so we'll see how it goes.

Black-Francis

I have been there twice. We went on December 21 for lunch, a group of 5 adults and 2 kids. Service was horrible, slow and not responsive. We ordered 4 of the corn/crab soup, a variety of sandwiches and chicken tenders for the kids. They served us a different kind of soup, without even asking, because they were out of the other. Chicken tenders for kids were burnt. They brought out what was supposed to be a rare burger that was MORE than well done. My Aunt ordered a grilled cheese, what she got was two pieces of toast with 2 slices of cheese between them. That is not a grilled cheese. I ordered fish, they didn't have it. I ordered a special that was average at best. Chef came out and talked to us but that was before the meal.

As they were new in business, thought I would give them another try so we went early on Saturday 2-13 with 5 P.M. reservations. They sat us upstairs near the windows facing the street. Had to move because it was so cold and drafty near the windows, no big deal. Nice waitress. We ordered 2 drinks, a Maitai and Martini...we got two Martini's and not the one we ordered and it took a long time to get those as the bartender was off doing something else but wasn't behind the bar.

At 5:25 we ordered 2 appetizers and our dinners. We got the lobster fritters and the crab dip and I got the cowboy bone in ribeye and spouse got stuffed flounder. At 5:40 we ordered two big beers. Bartender gone again...13 minutes later we got the beer. Waitress apologized and said how busy they were and that she had 9 tables and that was too many. She did not have 9 tables, she had 6 at the time and 4 of them were parties of 2 and 2 were parties of 4 with one having two children. At 6 the waitress apologized and said the kitchen was really backed up. At 6:20, we got two more small beers and another apology. At 6:30, manager calls our waitress over and wants to know which table didn't get what appetizers and she points to us. He doesn't come vover but she does and apologizes again. At 6:40, that is right 1 hour and 15 minutes later, we got our appetizers. Cheese dip was warm at best and had no crab meat in it. Lobster fritters were not thoroughly cooked and doughy and had 1 piece of lobster in 1 out of 5 of the fritters. Waitress assures us she will take care of us somehow, apologizes again and says, "I think I am going to quit after tonight. This happens all the time, we never get our food out fast and people take it out on me as their server and the managers never want to get involved and talk to people who are complaining." I joked with her when she said is there anything I else I can do for you right now and my response was, "maybe get our dinners out in less than 1 hour and 15 minutes" and she said in all seriousness, "Ill try but I don't know if that will happen!"

Well, it did happen. Dinner hit the table 15 minutes later and I do have to say, both of our entrees were great. Cooked and prepared as ordered and great flavor. Good enough for us to say, "we will try again".

THREE other tables around us had issues. All three had same slow service; one lady ordered a chicken dish with sausage and it came without the sausage. Table with kids had REAL hungry kids and were just about begging for anything to feed to the kids. Other couple gave up and left after paying for their drinks, told her they didn't have enought time to eat after waiting an hour.

The waitress DID knock my $28 steak off the tab. I also gave her a 20% tip even thoguh I would have normally dropped it to 15. I did this because MOST of the problems were not under her control and because it was Valentines day weekend.

Yes, the place was a little busy. Most tables downstairs were full and upstairs was not, never got geyond 8 tables. That is no excuse.

IF, and that is a big IF, I ever go back again, I am going to start our adventure off with speaking to Robert or the head manager to let them know of our bad experiences and that this is their last chance to make an impression. Dining is supposed to be a pleasant experience and I have not had any pleasure here yet. Giving me a $28 steak is not what I want. I want to pay for my meal and have a good experience. If you can't deliver that, you are not from Hell's Kitchen....you ARE the Kitchen from Hell!!

sorry charlie ....... :drummer:....... sorry, I had to say it...:killingme.

hotcoffee

Roberts biggest goof on Hell's Kitchen.... was that he sweat into the food.... so eat at Catamarans? No Sweat!:killingme

VenusDoom

Rock Star
Roberts biggest goof on Hell's Kitchen.... was that he sweat into the food.... so eat at Catamarans? No Sweat!:killingme

:lol: He also constantly oversalted his food. The food was good, but some of the dishes were oversalted (the bone-in steak being one of them). All in all, the place didn't live up to its expectations.

hotcoffee

:lol: He also constantly oversalted his food. The food was good, but some of the dishes were oversalted (the bone-in steak being one of them). All in all, the place didn't live up to its expectations.

You do realize that sweat tends to taste salty.... :killingme

Just kidding.... :coffee:

indianajane05

Victrix Patientia Duris
My friend told me the same thing about the food being oversalted. She was surprised about the apparent lack of seafood on the menu and, once she complained about the salted food, the chef came out and apologized but didn't re-make or reimburse her for her meal. He said they were in a "learning process." So she went hungry that night.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
My friend told me the same thing about the food being oversalted. She was surprised about the apparent lack of seafood on the menu and, once she complained about the salted food, the chef came out and apologized but didn't re-make or reimburse her for her meal. He said they were in a "learning process." So she went hungry that night.

She paid for a meal she couldn't eat?

MrZ06

I love Texas Road House
I would like to get a job there as a cook to work with Robert and show him my stuff.