Starting promptly at Noon
All types of Hay - Large and Small lots
Rt. 301 South, Cheltenham, MD
the old State Tobacco Warehouse next to Veterans Cemetery
For information, call the market at 301-372-1066

I'm interested in going too.

Phyxius

Zoooooooom
Yeah the first of the season was today. Not a lot of hay, heard there should be more next time. Why was there was okay to pretty nice. Orchard grass, Timothy mix and alfalfa. Prices were about $7-9 for small squares.

fredsaid2

Yeah the first of the season was today. Not a lot of hay, heard there should be more next time. Why was there was okay to pretty nice. Orchard grass, Timothy mix and alfalfa. Prices were about $7-9 for small squares.

Phyxius, did you go last season throughout the year? How did prices fluctuate? tks!

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?

Hey Phyx do you know how the round bales went?

Phyxius

Zoooooooom
Sorry for the lack of multi-quotes, I'm on my phone.

Prices last year varied a lot. From really nice hay for $3.25 to not so nice hay that was going for twice that. People go a little taxi and just start bidding up and up.

Shelley rounds were around $60-$70.

Cowgirl

:yikes: That's high.

Phyxius

Zoooooooom

Agreed! I'm paying half that for heavier bales right now but the supply I have won't last the whole winter so I'll probably be road tripping up to Pennsylvania if the prices at the auction stay so high. But, I've got a couple months before I start worrying about that.

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
I'll probably be road tripping up to Pennsylvania if the prices at the auction stay so high.

PA hay is so much better for the horses then local hay just because the soil is so much better, plus the further north you go, the temps are cooler so less weeds in the mix.

The trouble with the Cheltenhem auction is those who need only one or two rounds every 2 weeks are willing to bid substantially more, hence the astronomical highs.

Peeps who buy in large quantities mean more income for a longer period for suppliers - so there needs to be a forum to introduce hay suppliers to buyers willing to pay a fair figure in order to develop contracts/relationships for the entire season. That will make the trip to the auction worthwhile, will encourage suppliers to continue to do business long range and will have a lasting effect on both ends.

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
Usually in a large truck or wagon :killingme

:smack:

No shiat..

Sorry for the lack of multi-quotes, I'm on my phone.

Prices last year varied a lot. From really nice hay for $3.25 to not so nice hay that was going for twice that. People go a little taxi and just start bidding up and up.

Shelley rounds were around $60-$70.

:yikes:

PA hay is so much better for the horses then local hay just because the soil is so much better, plus the further north you go, the temps are cooler so less weeds in the mix.

The trouble with the Cheltenhem auction is those who need only one or two rounds every 2 weeks are willing to bid substantially more, hence the astronomical highs.

Peeps who buy in large quantities mean more income for a longer period for suppliers - so there needs to be a forum to introduce hay suppliers to buyers willing to pay a fair figure in order to develop contracts/relationships for the entire season. That will make the trip to the auction worthwhile, will encourage suppliers to continue to do business long range and will have a lasting effect on both ends.

I AGREE that is why we got that 35 foot flatbed gooseneck..our happy asses are going back to Pa next week for a load of hay...looks like I should be selling it at Cheltingham too...Pa hay is better..heavier and cheaper...(unless you count your gas...we get ours on the NY line and it is 350 miles one way...but so worth it..

C

campinmutt

I am looking to get 400 bales(squares) want to bring me some paso?

S

Sunkist

Phyx do you remember how much the alfalfa bales were and how good they looked?

Busterduck

Kiss my Ass

Alfalfa bales went from 6.50 to 6.90.

Most of the hay DID NOT go that high. Hay prices ranged from 4.25 to 7.40 per bale. I think only one to two stacks went that high at the end of the auction because people were holding out to get better prices. It never works that way when there is not enough hay to go around. Early in the auction, the hay prices were quite reasonable. The rounds were expensive because they were super green and you had a few people who only wanted 1 bale bidding it up to unreasonable prices.

Here is the high/low report for the auction. The reason hay went so high is because this was the first auction and there was hardly any hay there.

Hay High Low Report - agriculture auction

Busterduck

Kiss my Ass
That's because there's a biiiiiig difference in the soil between here and PA. :biggrin:

The difference I see in PA hay and MD hay is not in the soils. It is in the curing and fertilizing. In fact, most soil is depleted in both areas so fertilizer is frequenly used both in MD and PA to add nutrients to the soil to produce a better crop. We do have some great growers in MD who produce fantastic hay.

Also, a large amount of hay at the auction does, in fact, come from PA. There are all types. I don't particulary care "where" hay comes from. I look at the quality (smell, color, seedheads).

Busterduck

Kiss my Ass

Sorry Sunkist, I forgot to answer the second part of your question. The alfalfa bales actually looked good. Nice and green and with a good smell. Sometimes they have crap too; however, these were pretty nice.