Chincoteague Island

AndyMarquisLIVE

Tinkerbell said:
Has anyone every been there? What is it like and does anyone have any suggestions as to where to stay? The hubby and I are looking for a weekend getaway - just the two of us - to relax. I went to their website and it looks pretty relaxing.
Chincoteague is very nice, lots to do there.

Unfortanently, the week I was there it was 100+° most of the week.. Nice weather for being on the beach, but I got burned like hell.

Lots of eye-candy ladies to, something Waldorf seems to be lacking. :whistle:

Tinkerbell

Baby blues
cdsulhoff said:
Yeah at my place. I have a beach house there!!! It is a very quite place to go for a vacation. You can always stay at one of the Bed and Breakfast that is on the corner of Main and Poplar street. These B&B are beautiful... To eat go to Steamers. Also bring plenty of Bug spray. Also Bills Seafood right next to the Fire Station is AWESOME for Breakfast. They have the best sausage... If you need any suggestion just let me know Or come and visit me on Ridge road.. We always take a boat out..

When are you going!!!
I'm going just for a weekend - June 22-24. We want to get away for a couple days and check the place out. We are thinking it might be a good place to take the kids and my in-laws next year for a longer vacation. We could rent a house/cabin - and they are relatively inexpensive - especially compared to OCity and VA Beach. We want to make sure there's enough to keep everyone entertained for a week, because the in-laws don't do beaches that much. Me and the kids, however, will be hard to pull off the beach!

(I really just want to see the ponies!! :blushing:)

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
I think they roll the sidewalks up at sunset. j/k I have had some fun over at the island while working at NASA Wallops though it has been awhile. Friendly folk, quiet living, not a bad way of life.

Tinkerbell said:
I'm going just for a weekend - June 22-24. We want to get away for a couple days and check the place out. We are thinking it might be a good place to take the kids and my in-laws next year for a longer vacation. We could rent a house/cabin - and they are relatively inexpensive - especially compared to OCity and VA Beach. We want to make sure there's enough to keep everyone entertained for a week, because the in-laws don't do beaches that much. Me and the kids, however, will be hard to pull off the beach!

The ponies are cool, but I got a real kick out of the Sika deer that let me get within about 10 feet of him. He was no bigger than a greyhound. Dog that is, not a bus. :lmao:

SeaRide

desertrat said:
The ponies are cool, but I got a real kick out of the Sika deer that let me get within about 10 feet of him. He was no bigger than a greyhound. Dog that is, not a bus. :lmao:

Yeah .. but I got a real kick out of those mud fiddler crabs when they all "dance" waving their oversize claw.:jameo: Actually they are just relaying their own "intruder alert" message and .. yes it was me approaching them in my seakayak. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

SamSpade

Tinkerbell said:
Has anyone every been there? What is it like and does anyone have any suggestions as to where to stay? The hubby and I are looking for a weekend getaway - just the two of us - to relax. I went to their website and it looks pretty relaxing.

We love it there - we were planning to make it every year we're married, as I proposed to my wife there - but it is a very pleasant, quiet place to go, as long as it isn't the weekend they run the ponies.

LexiGirl75

100% Goapele Head!
cdsulhoff said:
IT was called skippers or spinnakers. Something like that. Friends of the family owned that place.and she got effed over by the lender. LONG story...
OH I was sooo mad, she had the best seafood stuffed flounder. I went there all the time for dinner when she was in business. Yeah the Corporate world doesn't care one bit about the small people trying to get by..

Skippers sounds familiar and Spinnaker's could as well. It definitely is a shame what happens to the smaller businesses when the bigger businesses come in. But it's either follow their lead or be forced out by them. Sometimes change (by way of expansion) is good. :flowers:

cdsulhoff

Tinkerbell said:

WE only go weekends at a time as well. Need to get back home to Work.. YUCK!!

But yeah it does cost to get on the Asst.Island. not much.. If you are planning to go back I would get the Yearly Stamp..
Next to Maria's there is Bumper boats, go karts, mini golf, Arcade and the last time I was there the had some type of bungee thing that is over top of a trampoline.
If you go to Capt's Bob on the main street down past the fireman's carnival you could rent a Platoon boat. They aren't that bad in prices.. Great fishing out there..
Just relax and have fun. Great place to relax..

You can't go wrong with Bills for Breakfast... Plus the crabs on the island are boiled. My hubby won't eat crabs in the island. We have to go to Berlin just outside of OC where his uncle lives at and eat crabs in OC.

Also a semi new thing is right before you turn off to go to CI you will see a Sonic...

Tinkerbell

Baby blues
cdsulhoff said:

But yeah it does cost to get on the Asst.Island. not much.. If you are planning to go back I would get the Yearly Stamp..
Next to Maria's there is Bumper boats, go karts, mini golf, Arcade and the last time I was there the had some type of bungee thing that is over top of a trampoline.
If you go to Capt's Bob on the main street down past the fireman's carnival you could rent a Platoon boat. They aren't that bad in prices.. Great fishing out there..

You can't go wrong with Bills for Breakfast... Plus the crabs on the island are boiled. My hubby won't eat crabs in the island. We have to go to Berlin just outside of OC where his uncle lives at and eat crabs in OC.

Also a semi new thing is right before you turn off to go to CI you will see a Sonic...
Thanks for all the info. :yay: I'll have to let the hubby know. We're going to explore as much as we can in two days. We're looking forward to just chilling out and going with the flow.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Tinkerbell said:
I went camping on Assateague once. The ponies are pretty cool, but not when they're raiding your campsite at 3 in the morning trying to get into your cooler! I had the perfect imprint of a hoof left in the middle of it. :lmao:

Just remember they are WILD creatures and not to approach them too closely. They have stallions that are very protective of their herds and mommas who don't like anyone near their babies.

Have fun!

cdsulhoff said:

Does the whole platoon go with you? :lmao:

cdsulhoff

SHAT!!! Damn it I spelled it wrong. Bite me!! LOL
I knew something didn't look right!!! LOL it is pontoon!! Are you happy?

SamSpade

Tinkerbell said:
Thanks for all the info. :yay: I'll have to let the hubby know. We're going to explore as much as we can in two days. We're looking forward to just chilling out and going with the flow.

We always go to :

AJ's (for steak) - go early - like when they OPEN for dinner
The Village Restaurant (great scallops in season)
Bill's (IF you can get in)
Don's
and we went to Steamers when we could still do all you can eat.

We always go to Mr Whippy's (soft ice cream) and the Island Creamery which I think is a short walk away.

And renting a scooter to tour the island including Assateage is too fun to miss.

Not crazy about the Lighthouse. Too many bugs, too many stairs, not much of a view.

Take any of the tours. I'm hoping Barnacle Bill's tours are still going, but last I checked, that whole shopping plaza was gone.

wunsent

cdsulhoff said:
You can always stay at one of the Bed and Breakfast that is on the corner of Main and Poplar street. These B&B are beautiful... To eat go to Steamers. Also bring plenty of Bug spray. Also Bills Seafood right next to the Fire Station is AWESOME for Breakfast. They have the best sausage...

We were there this weekend. I want to stay at that B&B the next time we go. And we lucked upon Bill's Seafood for breakfast and it was awesome. So much food it seemed at a reasonable price.

Enjoy your trip!

cdsulhoff

wunsent said:
We were there this weekend. I want to stay at that B&B the next time we go. And we lucked upon Bill's Seafood for breakfast and it was awesome. So much food it seemed at a reasonable price.

Enjoy your trip!

Yeah Bills is wonderful. That is our morning ritual. My father in law however like to go to the family Island Restaurant on ridge road couple of street away form our house. I hate that place it is too smokey and the only reason he goes is because of the local gossip.

Out of all the years I have been going to CI. I have never been to AJ's. That is too funny. I love Famous pizza after going to the beach.

What I don't like to see is those sunsations stores on the island and the Big chain hotels it takes away from the quite small island vibe..

SamSpade

cdsulhoff said:
What I don't like to see is those sunsations stores on the island and the Big chain hotels it takes away from the quite small island vibe..

I understand, but the weekend I proposed to my wife, we couldn't find anything anywhere else. We stayed at the Comfort Suites, after we ditched a truly awful place in Pokomoke in hopes of something better.

We got on the island later, and checked everywhere, and Comfort Suites had ONE room left that weekend for 200 a night - so we took it. I mentioned that I was planning to propose - so they let us have the presidential suite for one night only, no extra charge! Cool! For that reason alone, we always go back there.

SamSpade said:
I understand, but the weekend I proposed to my wife, we couldn't find anything anywhere else. We stayed at the Comfort Suites, after we ditched a truly awful place in Pokomoke in hopes of something better.

We got on the island later, and checked everywhere, and Comfort Suites had ONE room left that weekend for 200 a night - so we took it. I mentioned that I was planning to propose - so they let us have the presidential suite for one night only, no extra charge! Cool! For that reason alone, we always go back there.
A presidential suite in Pokomoke? Now that's optimism. :lmao: