could be another fatal accident

DaveinMtAiry

Hey everyone. I'm a new member who found this board when I did a search for Russ Wenzell and George Michael Bowes. Seeing as my wife is from Southern MD and I know it well I may actually stick around.

Anyway I'm here because the victim of this car crash was my former boss. I thought I'd share with you a few things about this whole ordeal. First off I won't pretend that I knew Russ really well but we were friends. After he left my company, maybe 3 years ago, we kept in touch every month or so. I won't lie, in this climate I maintained contact partially because you never know when you will need a job. But it was more than that. Russ was a really nice guy and I enjoyed talking to him.

The funeral was very very emotional. I'll never forget one of his sons looking at his mom and saying "we hope you heal soon mom. We want to see you smile again". Melissa (or Missy), miraculously survived the accident. Oddly enough it occurred on a return trip from the emergency room late that night. Missy had been going through chemo treatment and had gotten ill which prompted the trip. Not sure which hospital but I was told it was over the Bay Bridge somewhere. What I learned at the service was that Russ (who grew up near New York City) was a great athlete. In fact he is only the second person in that school's history to letter in 4 sports all 3 years he played (football, basketball, baseball and hockey). One story stuck out at me that was told by his brother. After high school he played football at some small school in upstate NY that none of us had ever heard of. He was a placekicker who apparently made a bunch of game winners that year. On this particular game his last second kick went over the left upright of the goalpost. Back in those days they were really short so it was very difficult to judge if the kick was good or not. The referee froze as he didn't know how to call it. They locked eyes and Russ said "I missed it". And that's the call the ref made. Told me everything about the man.

I don't know Mikey Bowes but apparently some of you do. I understand that it is hard for me to be very fair here but from everything I've learned of him he sounds like a bad guy. I'm glad he is off the street before he kills someone else but obviously I agree that his sentence was a joke. Who will he kill next? It's been over a year but still most of us are a long way from being over what he has done.

Thanks for listening.

Last edited:

FED_UP

Wow went to the trouble to join here and post this story and not one reply huh?

Yeah, real glad I did this.

Later.

I have not commented on this story at all, but I did read some of it when it first came out back in June. My guess is that its old news now and people feel they said what they had to say already, my opinion.

megahurts

Hey everyone. I'm a new member who found this board when I did a search for Russ Wenzell and George Michael Bowes. Seeing as my wife is from Southern MD and I know it well I may actually stick around.

Anyway I'm here because the victim of this car crash was my former boss. I thought I'd share with you a few things about this whole ordeal. First off I won't pretend that I knew Russ really well but we were friends. After he left my company, maybe 3 years ago, we kept in touch every month or so. I won't lie, in this climate I maintained contact partially because you never know when you will need a job. But it was more than that. Russ was a really nice guy and I enjoyed talking to him.

The funeral was very very emotional. I'll never forget one of his sons looking at his mom and saying "we hope you heal soon mom. We want to see you smile again". Melissa (or Missy), miraculously survived the accident. Oddly enough it occurred on a return trip from the emergency room late that night. Missy had been going through chemo treatment and had gotten ill which prompted the trip. Not sure which hospital but I was told it was over the Bay Bridge somewhere. What I learned at the service was that Russ (who grew up near New York City) was a great athlete. In fact he is only the second person in that school's history to letter in 4 sports all 3 years he played (football, basketball, baseball and hockey). One story stuck out at me that was told by his brother. After high school he played football at some small school in upstate NY that none of us had ever heard of. He was a placekicker who apparently made a bunch of game winners that year. On this particular game his last second kick went over the left upright of the goalpost. Back in those days they were really short so it was very difficult to judge if the kick was good or not. The referee froze as he didn't know how to call it. They locked eyes and Russ said "I missed it". And that's the call the ref made. Told me everything about the man.

I don't know Mikey Bowes but apparently some of you do. I understand that it is hard for me to be very fair here but from everything I've learned of him he sounds like a bad guy. I'm glad he is off the street before he kills someone else but obviously I agree that his sentence was a joke. Who will he kill next? It's been over a year but still most of us are a long way from being over what he has done.

Thanks for listening.

I'm sorry about your friend. I think Mr. Bowes sentence may have been Fritzed.

iris28

OMG people give it a rest!

Are any of you in his family and know first hand what the truth is? NO! Were any of you in the court room the day of sentencing? NO! Have any of you lived on both sides of this whole ordeal? Probably not! Do any of you have any idea what he has to live with on his conscience every single day? You don't make a terrible mistake like this and wake up the next morning like nothing has happened going on with your life. Your life completely changes and you're never the same. Don't act like many of you haven't gone out, had too much to drink and gotten behind the wheel before. But just like him you won't get in that car planning to kill someone. Of course it's not right but people do it all the time and unfortunately he won't be the last to take someones life wrecklessly. Yes, he had too much that night and did something unthinkable and it's terrible. Everyone is heartbroken for the Wenzel family. But be compassionate for both families and move on!

As for anyone who was not in the courtroom that morning...it was an out of district judge so there would be no favortism due to the family having ties. Think what you want but he has children to support, why ruin two families.

And he is not a repeat offender. This was his first DWI, not second or third like Rossignol likes to throw out there.

Erin

I have not commented on this story at all, but I did read some of it when it first came out back in June. My guess is that its old news now and people feel they said what they had to say already, my opinion.

Nice to hear about the victim's life. Sounds like he was a very good man. Believe Dave is the first to give us any insight on him; Thank You.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
And he is not a repeat offender. This was his first DWI, not second or third like Rossignol likes to throw out there.

And we need to make sure that he doesn't become a repeat killer.

How many people should you be allowed to kill before action is taken? Two? Three?

I can honestly say I've never gone out to get drunk and drove home drunk.. and I would assume that is true with the MAJORITY of the population.

I can honestly also say that I never drove drunk and killed someone, and if I did I would expect to NOT be a free man for a very long time.

This guy kills a GOOD man, and still gets to go to work, have lunch.. see his wife and kids daily if he wants to, while the other family gets to grieve for a needless death.

Did he even lose his license for any amount of time?