Coyote

mamatutu

mama to two
I almost hit one on Bel Alton Newtown rd the other night. Scared me to death!

I am so glad you said that because I thought I was seeing things. Last week, I left in the middle of the day, and saw what I thought was a dog around a neighbor's evergreen tree fence (the ones that people plant to give privacy). I stopped, thinking it was a loose dog, but when I got out of the car, I knew he wasn't domestic, and he and I were just as equally afraid of each other. I didn't pursue any further. I do feel bad for them, though, because their habitat is displaced. :frown:

camily

Peace
I am so glad you said that because I thought I was seeing things. Last week, I left in the middle of the day, and saw what I thought was a dog around a neighbor's evergreen tree fence (the ones that people plant to give privacy). I stopped, thinking it was a loose dog, but when I got out of the car, I knew he wasn't domestic, and he and I were just as equally afraid of each other. I didn't pursue any further. I do feel bad for them, though, because their habitat is displaced. :frown:

When we lived in Illinois I saw them quite often. Never once here though. He ran off into the woods pretty quick.

So_what

Yes I'm an MPD, But who's
I have no problem with him shooting it, MOM might if he used an evil assault weapon :shrug:

I saw a dead one in the road at the intersection of rt 4 and whatever the road is called that goes into BJs a month or so ago. No doubts here :howdy:

FDR Blvd.?

I'm glad he killed it. He's a hero in my eyes. I hope the hunters out there have an opportunity to kill more, especially in my area.

I like hearing them howl at night. They have an impressive array of sounds they can make.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
I like hearing them howl at night. They have an impressive array of sounds they can make.

I especially hate hearing them howl at night...I'm afraid they are going to hide in the wood line and snatch my babies when they are out for their nightly potty walk. :bawl:

glhs837

Power with Control
I do feel bad for them, though, because their habitat is displaced. :frown:

To expand on this. The coyote was never native to Md, or many eastern states. They were kept out of this habitat by wolves, who we have removed. Since then, coyotes have spread east.

Coyote - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Despite being extensively hunted, the coyote is one of the few medium- to large-sized animals that has enlarged its range since human encroachment began. It originally ranged primarily in the western half of North America, but it has adapted readily to the changes caused by human presence and, since the early 19th century, has been steadily and dramatically extending its range.[57] Sightings now commonly occur in a majority of the United States and Canada.[58] Coyotes inhabit nearly every contiguous U.S. state and Alaska. They have moved into most of the areas of North America formerly occupied by wolves, and are often observed foraging in suburban garbage bins.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
One of my neighbors lost some bunnies recently. He was asking around, if anyone had seen any dogs running loose in the neighborhood. I was thinking fox, but I suppose it could have been a coyote.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
If they kill deer, whats the problem? I'm sure we have a lot more deer than coyotes around.

They don't just kill deer. They kill livestock and pets as well. They also kill off native species such as foxes. Remember coyotes are an invasive species. They have a very low fear of humans unlike other predators. You have to consider what would happen when their hunting grounds expand into people's neighborhoods. Got a small child?

luvmygdaughters

They don't just kill deer. They kill livestock and pets as well. They also kill off native species such as foxes. Remember coyotes are an invasive species. They have a very low fear of humans unlike other predators. You have to consider what would happen when their hunting grounds expand into people's neighborhoods. Got a small child?

Hmmm...I'll have to do some research, I thought they were more on the line of foxes. More scared of you them you of them. Although I would think that rabies would be a real concern also.