CPR required for Maryland students

glitch

Devil's Advocate
If you read the article, they're not going to be taught actual CPR so the title of the article/post are both misleading. All they will be teaching is the rhythm needed for chest compressions. What I'd be more concerned about, as a parent, is whether or not the 30 minutes of instruction provided would then allow the child to be covered by Maryland's Good Samaritan laws if they did attempt to save someone's life using what they had been taught. If not, all they are doing is setting the kids up to be sued if something goes wrong.

MMDad

Lem Putt
And do you all think the state is going teach this class free of charge, or are they going to require a fee for the class. This is nothing more then the government dictating something on the thought of "collective salvation".

If the student wants to learn CPR, fine, offer the class but to make it mandatory is like the state making eight hours of sleep mandatory because it will keep everyone healthy.

You live to complain, don't you. The current "save" rate for CPR in Saint Mary's County is 9%. In Seattle, WA it's about 60%. Having someone there who knows to do something is the critical difference.

CPR is not difficult. It isn't something that's hard to retain. It has been simplified to the point that just about anyone can retain the simple steps. At worst they'd be able to follow directions from 911.

There are a lot of "feel good" programs in the schools today, but this one is not one of the extra, worthless ones. This one will save lives, maybe even YOUR life.

I learned CPR as part of a high school PE class. There's no reason it could not be taught as part of that or a health class. This is a simple and effective way to give these kids a skill that they can use for the rest of their lives.

Retrodeb54

Surely you jest ...
I don't see how anyone can think this is a bad thing. Its a great idea and to make it mandatory is necessary I think. Since most don't care to take more classes than they needed to graduate, mandatory is needed.

Honestly I think it wouldn't hurt to make it a triple for one credit. Adding The Heimlich Maneuver and proper Epipen injecting, since if even with good intentions someone injecting the med wrong could be deadly. None of these life saving skills take that much time to teach and could pay off big time in the future.

As for a fee, can a small fee be to much to save a life? If your teen saved your husband or mother while having a heart attack or his/her sibling from choking to death on something no price can be put on that. Or perhaps even years later to save one of their own children. To say nothing of a stranger in distress. It would only be money well spent I say.

:coffee:

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Learned CPR for Boy Scout 1st Aid merit badge 45 years ago in the days of the pre-cardial thump, and have had refresher training a time or two since due to job requirements. Have never had to use the knowledge, other 1st aid skills, too many times to count.

It's good to learn.

Retrodeb54

Surely you jest ...
You live to complain, don't you. The current "save" rate for CPR in Saint Mary's County is 9%. In Seattle, WA it's about 60%. Having someone there who knows to do something is the critical difference.

CPR is not difficult. It isn't something that's hard to retain. It has been simplified to the point that just about anyone can retain the simple steps. At worst they'd be able to follow directions from 911.

There are a lot of "feel good" programs in the schools today, but this one is not one of the extra, worthless ones. This one will save lives, maybe even YOUR life.

I learned CPR as part of a high school PE class. There's no reason it could not be taught as part of that or a health class. This is a simple and effective way to give these kids a skill that they can use for the rest of their lives.

Retrodeb54

Surely you jest ...
Learned CPR for Boy Scout 1st Aid merit badge 45 years ago in the days of the pre-cardial thump, and have had refresher training a time or two since due to job requirements. Have never had to use the knowledge, other 1st aid skills, too many times to count.

It's good to learn.

MMDad

Lem Putt

It's good to learn.
Every first aid course I ever took paid off when my then 2 YO son was choking and I did the Heimlich on him. If I hadn't had that training, I could have been like the other people in the room staring at him with a bewildered look.

Retrodeb54

Surely you jest ...
Every first aid course I ever took paid off when my then 2 YO son was choking and I did the Heimlich on him. If I hadn't had that training, I could have been like the other people in the room staring at him with a bewildered look.

Surprised you didn't comment on my post then. *wipes footprints off her back*

awpitt

Main Streeter
And do you all think the state is going teach this class free of charge, or are they going to require a fee for the class. This is nothing more then the government dictating something on the thought of "collective salvation".

If the student wants to learn CPR, fine, offer the class but to make it mandatory is like the state making eight hours of sleep mandatory because it will keep everyone healthy.

Not sure we're you get your info from but you are misinformed. The CPR class is already being taught. At least it is in SMCPS. My 12th grader just passed his CPR Cert test three weeks ago. The CPR class was given as part of the already existing PE/Health class. There was no aditional fee for the CPR Cert.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Not sure we're you get your info from but you are misinformed. The CPR class is already being taught. At least it is in SMCPS. My 12th grader just passed his CPR Cert test three weeks ago. The CPR class was given as part of the already existing PE/Health class. There was no aditional fee for the CPR Cert.

:yay:

Retrodeb54

Surely you jest ...

Maybe the only change is the 'mandatory' part.

awpitt

Main Streeter
Never said learning CPR was a bad thing, just don't think it should be mandatory and don't think that the majority of high schools students will retain the info 24 hours after they are taught it.

Completely disagree with you on that. Believe it or not, the majority of kids that age have a better chance of retaining that info than many adults.

MMDad

Lem Putt
Completely disagree with you on that. Believe it or not, the majority of kids that age have a better chance of retaining that info than many adults.

He apparently has no contact with kids that age. Volunteering to work with high school kids sure opens your eyes to what kids really are like instead of the simplified stereotypes you get by sitting on your couch.

awpitt

Main Streeter
Why? I mean, when you think about it, why is the PE/Health credit itself mandatory, and why doesn't anyway complain about that?

They want kids to have at least one year of PE/Health. I guess they need some sort of excersise. When I was growing up, we had to have PE every year.

awpitt

Main Streeter
He apparently has no contact with kids that age. Volunteering to work with high school kids sure opens your eyes to what kids really are like instead of the simplified stereotypes you get by sitting on your couch.

:yay:

This is so true. I see comments in here from people who oviously have no clue as to what's really going on in the schools.

JoeR

If you read the article, they're not going to be taught actual CPR so the title of the article/post are both misleading. All they will be teaching is the rhythm needed for chest compressions. What I'd be more concerned about, as a parent, is whether or not the 30 minutes of instruction provided would then allow the child to be covered by Maryland's Good Samaritan laws if they did attempt to save someone's life using what they had been taught. If not, all they are doing is setting the kids up to be sued if something goes wrong.

They would be covered. They will be taught a actual course. Check out the American Heart Assoc. link.
http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/CPRAndECC/HandsOnlyCPR/Hands-Only-CPR_UCM_440559_SubHomePage.jsp

MMDad

Lem Putt
Nope:

Maryland Law 5-309; Courts and Judicial Proceedings § 5-309

c. An individual who is not covered otherwise by this section is not civilly liable for any act or omission in providing assistance or medical aid to a victim at the scene of an emergency, if:
1. The assistance or aid is provided in a reasonably prudent manner;​
2. The assistance or aid is provided without fee or other compensation; and​
3. The individual relinquishes care of the victim when someone who is licensed or certified by this State to provide medical care or services becomes available to take responsibility.​