Dear homeowners

mAlice

professional daydreamer
jazz, I like the detached garage with the breezeway in between. I'd want a small apartment over the garage for guests.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Central vac - my MIL is trying to talk me into this. Anyone have it? Is it all it's cracked up to be? We're planning on hardwood flooring, with tile in the kitchen. Would it be worth it to do a central vac system?

mAlice

professional daydreamer
vraiblonde said:
Check. Do you have it mounted or is it sitting on a counter?

Sitting. I like to be able to move it around. I'm always moving the junk around on my counters. Of course, if I had a larger kitchen, it would have it's own little corner and sit a little higher I think.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
vraiblonde said:
I like that! It looks more homey than some of the more contemporary/moderny designs you see.
I don't like modern and will scream if I see one more colonial being built. :lol: We both wanted a farmhouse/country style home and this Cape Cod fit the bill. I'll have to post a picture of the finished product.

K

Kizzy

vraiblonde said:
Central vac - my MIL is trying to talk me into this. Anyone have it? Is it all it's cracked up to be? We're planning on hardwood flooring, with tile in the kitchen. Would it be worth it to do a central vac system?

I heard they suck, or should I have said, don't suck. :shrug:

mAlice

professional daydreamer
vraiblonde said:

I've known people who have them and were not satisfied.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
elaine said:
jazz, I like the detached garage with the breezeway in between. I'd want a small apartment over the garage for guests.
That was one of the features we loved. Building the garage will start this spring :fingerscrossed: and we're planning on putting a bonus room/loft over the 3 car garage.

morganj614

jazz lady said:
I don't like modern and will scream if I see one more colonial being built. :lol: We both wanted a farmhouse/country style home and this Cape Cod fit the bill. I'll have to post a picture of the finished product.

How about a center chimney Salt Box with a detached garage with a breeze way?..Oops. my dream...lol

AMP

Jersey attitude.
vraiblonde said:

Wouldn't bother with central vac, the vacuum cleaners they have now are so light and space saving it's not worth it, and if you are planning on wood floors there will be more damp-mopping than vacuuming going on.

Have you thought about two AC/heating units? Depending on the size of the house of course. ALso, if I had the room, I would get a MUCH bigger hot water heater - I have the standard one, but my parents have the biggest one Sears makes and they never run out of hot water even if everyone is home for the weekend and takes showers, runs the washer, and does dishes all at once. Or have you thought about instant hot water? Alot of the older homes in Jersey have that.

911Carrera

German American Lead Foot
I know you said you liked a wood burning fireplace. They are nice but we have realistic looking gas logs (propane). I like them.
Just flip a light switch and they come on. No mess with the wood either.

A three car garage is nice too if you like cars.
Larger rooms
Larger, wider stairway if you have a two story house.
Pre-wired for cable, high-speed Internet, surround sound and music.
A front porch
A nice deck

Good Luck! Build it quick because the prices keep going up!

SmallTown

Football season!
vraiblonde said:
What is that?
depending on the type, kind of like a mini water heater that goes under your sink. Good anytime you need "instant" hot water and don't want to burn your hand from a cup/bowl in the microwave. good for tea, hot cocoa, etc

Pretty neat to have

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
SmallTown said:
depending on the type, kind of like a mini water heater that goes under your sink. Good anytime you need "instant" hot water and don't want to burn your hand from a cup/bowl in the microwave. good for tea, hot cocoa, etc

Pretty neat to have
We have that and give it :yay: :yay: but it's not what AMP was talking about.

morganj614

jazz lady said:
We have that and give it :yay: :yay: but it's not what AMP was talking about.

Google it. Paul Harvey has an ad on his commentary that is about a hot water heater only on demand..doesn't waste energy