Dear homeowners

AMP

Jersey attitude.
vraiblonde said:
What is that?

In the older homes, it's where the water goes through a pipe that is heated by gas flame. Heats the water as it goes through. No tank needed, and damn the water gets hot. But you never run out of hot water.

I need to look at the link someone posted!

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
My advice depends.

What new forum features are going to be available and how much $$ are we gonna have to cough up? :bubble:

Nanny Pam

Vrai as soon as I saw this floor plan, I KNEW it was my next home. I love all the closets, most are walk-in.
The best feature (for me) is the fact that the bedrooms are totally in another section of the house. (we call it the east wing :lol:) Away from the party noise, TV noise, etc. Folks spending the night can sleep in the next day while the rest of us get up for coffee.
Another point is that I ain't getting any younger. I know, SHOCKER :yikes:
but the fact that I have over 2600 sq. ft. on one floor is great.
In the family room I eliminated the double windows and put a slider in there that goes out to a deck, and back yard.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Nanny Pam said:
Vrai as soon as I saw this floor plan, I KNEW it was my next home.
I like the way the living room and kitchen are open like that. Also a good idea to have bedrooms away from the rest of the house. :yay:

Mountain MaMa

WV bound
Put your laundry room near the place you have the most laundry. Near the bedrooms and baths. Easier to gather up the dirty and put away the clean. I don't understand putting the laundry on the first floor of a two story.

Hubby and I are building our last home soon. We couldn't decide on a floor plan so we are building a very strange thing. 5 separate buildings attached by hallways in a pentagon shape. Open courtyard in the middle.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
AMP said:
In the older homes, it's where the water goes through a pipe that is heated by gas flame. Heats the water as it goes through. No tank needed, and damn the water gets hot. But you never run out of hot water.

I need to look at the link someone posted!

They've had this in Spain since forever. It's great, but when the bottle is empty, it's empty. Doesn't matter if you're mid shower or greasy pan. You have to stop and change the bottle.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Mountain MaMa said:
Put your laundry room near the place you have the most laundry. Near the bedrooms and baths. Easier to gather up the dirty and put away the clean. I don't understand putting the laundry on the first floor of a two story.

Hubby and I are building our last home soon. We couldn't decide on a floor plan so we are building a very strange thing. 5 separate buildings attached by hallways in a pentagon shape. Open courtyard in the middle.

I have a friend who had a laundry room upstairs between the bedrooms. She hated it. She was running up and down the stairs all day to do laundry, and had to stop when the kids went to bed because it kept them awake.

Mountain MaMa

WV bound
No kids left at home...I can do laundry whenever. I'm building one story and my laundry will be in the hall next to the bath and walk in closets

Agee

Do your homework with your Heating/AC systems. If you plan on a two story, or a large single story, look into "zoned" heating/ac. Where you can control various zones of the home depending on how you intend to use them. Many inovations in heating/cooling systems in the last few years

Bottom line, don't skimp on your comfort level.

Last edited:

Suz

33 yrs & we r still n luv
Our first house here was a split foyer. Never again.

Now we have our dream home. One floor ('cept the bonus room over the 3 car oversized garage), TONS of closets/storage. Each one of us have our own bathroom (4). I designed our kitchen.

here's a good site to search plans. It's where we found our original plan and then modified to our 'wants'.

http://www.dreamhomesource.com

put in your requirements/wants and have fun!

:huggy:

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
I'm not scanning through 6 pages to see if this was mentioned, but if you have two or more levels, and your laundry room is on the lower of the two, but bedrooms are upstairs, put in a laundry chute from the hallway or bathroom or somewhere. A friend's house has one, and it is AWESOME! I've thought about putting one in myself. It's bad enough ya gotta carry it up the steps when it's done; cut yourself some slack and put in an expressway for getting it down there. :shrug: :yay:

Oh ... and a centralized vac system is kickass! :yay: Why not make it easier on the housekeeper. :lol:

JabbaJawz

Be about it
Bogart said:
yard for dogs
place to observe bird feeders
walk-in closets
laundry room
mud room
pre-wired for home theater, satellite, hi-speed internet
double sinks in kitchen
double sinks in master bath

Add a double shower head and oversized shower to accommodate this in the master. :yay:

JabbaJawz

Be about it
vraiblonde said:
Check.

My girlfriend has a center island in her kitchen that has, like, the sink and dishwasher, etc, on one side and the other side comes down lower for seating so you can eat breakfast or just visit. I want that.

I LOVE our center island. We use the heck out of it and it's great for entertaining. Despite thinking I'd never use a formal dining room, I've used the crap out of ours since we moved here. I enjoy just looking at the room a lot, and also get a lot of practical use out of it since I enjoy entertaining. :yay: