Did you know that all kinds of forum posts and threads are being shared routinely on facebook???

PsyOps

Pixelated
I'm not uncalm, just confused.

Our admin is secure and passwords are encrypted. Even I can't see them, which is why when someone asks me for their password because they've forgotten it, I have to have the system send them a link to reset. I'll direct David to this thread and he can make mods as needed, though.

But you're right that online forums are not private - they are on the open web and therefore you shouldn't post personal information that you don't want the whole world to see.

Your administrator accounts might be secure, but the users on the forum are not. When we type in our username and password, someone playing “man in the middle” (a hacking technique) can be easily see your credentials. When you log into Facebook, the session with the site is first encrypted, then you enter your username and password. If someone were trying to play ‘man in the middle’ they would only get garble.

Restitution

The only answer to that is, don't participate in public social media.

A Forum is categorised by topics, people follow the topics that they are interested in and create thread of discussions. In a forum there is no concept of followers and followings.

Social Media has the concept of followers and followings and friends, this is the foundation of it.

So.... it might be up for discussion however, the comon ideology is that a forum is NOT social media.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Your administrator accounts might be secure, but the users on the forum are not. When we type in our username and password, someone playing “man in the middle” (a hacking technique) can be easily see your credentials. When you log into Facebook, the session with the site is first encrypted, then you enter your username and password. If someone were trying to play ‘man in the middle’ they would only get garble.

Well, it's not like anyone uses their real name and email accounts when signing up for forums away, right? Doesn't everyone use an alias and randomly generated email from the plethora of free email services out there in the interweb thru a TOR browser so as to try to guarantee anonymity?

PsyOps

Pixelated
A Forum is categorised by topics, people follow the topics that they are interested in and create thread of discussions. In a forum there is no concept of followers and followings.

Social Media has the concept of followers and followings and friends, this is the foundation of it.

So.... it might be up for discussion however, the comon ideology is that a forum is NOT social media.

Thank for the education.