Disrespect

Hoover

I am amazed at the disrespect some people have for the families of deceased. I have had several acquaintances killed this month either by motor vehicle accidents or by long suffering of cancer. In their online postings, "a certain poster" has posted and has gone out of their way to dig up their background. Also felt the need to post it publicly. I guess, because they are "Anonymous" they feel they can dig these peoples past and post it publicly even though it has happened numerous years ago. I don't understand how people can do this to other people and their families they don't even know. How unspeakable horrid this is to their families to have to relive this when they are going through and burying a loved one, especially after loosing them in a tragic accident. Then to have their past mistakes relived and posted for the PUBLIC to read under the accident report. Its amazing how little it takes to amuse people. All I can say is SHAME on you.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
I am amazed at the disrespect some people have for the families of deceased. I have had several acquaintances killed this month either by motor vehicle accidents or by long suffering of cancer. In their online postings, "a certain poster" has posted and has gone out of their way to dig up their background. Also felt the need to post it publicly. I guess, because they are "Anonymous" they feel they can dig these peoples past and post it publicly even though it has happened numerous years ago. I don't understand how people can do this to other people and their families they don't even know. How unspeakable horrid this is to their families to have to relive this when they are going through and burying a loved one, especially after loosing them in a tragic accident. Then to have their past mistakes relived and posted for the PUBLIC to read under the accident report. Its amazing how little it takes to amuse people. All I can say is SHAME on you.

Difficult to respond to this without knowing the details. Did the deceased do something horrible, and perhaps deserved to be remembered for his actions while he lived, or was it something minor that could have been left unsaid? Not to take sides with the deceased, but if he was a child molester or something heinous, then perhaps it made the victim feel better. :shrug:

slotpuppy

Ass-hole
Difficult to respond to this without knowing the details. Did the deceased do something horrible, and perhaps deserved to be remembered for his actions while he lived, or was it something minor that could have been left unsaid? Not to take sides with the deceased, but if he was a child molester or something heinous, then perhaps it made the victim feel better. :shrug:

:yeahthat: Can you give a few more details?

That's kind of what I'm thinking because deaths rarely make the news. There are many people who die in our tri-county area from suicide, cancer, etc. that don't get reported. Typically a death by vehicle or crime is what gets reported and leads to a thread. If the death by vehicle was at the fault of the driver and the driver was a repeat offender than that does stir up memories.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Without knowing details, my guess is a lot of it is simply setting the record straight. If the deceased is a criminal child molester drug idiot wife beater, it's difficult to stand by idly and allow him to be canonized by his enabling family members and friends. Just because you're dead doesn't make you a good person all of a sudden when you've had a lifetime of being a ####head.

I'm okay with douchebags being called out and not having their criminal past swept under the rug.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Without knowing details, my guess is a lot of it is simply setting the record straight. If the deceased is a criminal child molester drug idiot wife beater, it's difficult to stand by idly and allow him to be canonized by his enabling family members and friends. Just because you're dead doesn't make you a good person all of a sudden when you've had a lifetime of being a ####head.

I'm okay with douchebags being called out and not having their criminal past swept under the rug.

Considering to OP, I doubt that would be the situation, but I stand to be corrected.

MMM_donuts

I would imagine that the anonymous poster either doesn't share the opinion that their behavior is inappropriate OR is of the opinion that "digging up the past" is totally worth the negative judgement.

Although, I'm beginning to agree with the saying "trying to understand people is like trying to smell the number 9".

What is it specifically that bothers you about their bringing up the past?

GopherM

Darwin was right
It makes me just as sick to read glowing comments on someone that has died that was truly despicable but their "public face" tricked others into thinking they were angelic in the way the treated other people. I have seen a few obituaries that should have been banned for the shear fictional representation of the dear departed.

Hank

my war
Disrespect? Coming from someone who labels black people "apehangers" and "monkeys"? Give me a ####ing break! Get over yourself and step off that soapbox!

MarieB

Disrespect? Coming from someone who labels black people "apehangers" and "monkeys"? Give me a ####ing break! Get over yourself and step off that soapbox!

Well, that's interesting

So, I guess the argument could be made that those labels are ok for the ones who are still alive

Isn't that how it works?

Dakota

~~~~~~~
A Lusby woman sentenced last week to serve seven years in custody on a charge of conspiracy to attempt an armed robbery died Sunday evening at a hospital, authorities report, after she was found unconscious in her cell at the St. Mary’s jail.

Melissa Mae Benton, 36, was alone in a cell in the detention center’s diagnostic holding area when correctional officers checked on her shortly before 6 p.m. that day, sheriff’s Capt. Michael Merican said, and efforts commenced to try to revive her.

Woman in St. Mary’s jail for robbery conspiracy dies -- SoMdNews.com

I think some of the comments got cleaned up *IF* this is the subject of the thread.

UPDATE: Name Released in Death at Detention Center in Leonardtown | Southern Maryland News Net

MarieB

A Lusby woman sentenced last week to serve seven years in custody on a charge of conspiracy to attempt an armed robbery died Sunday evening at a hospital, authorities report, after she was found unconscious in her cell at the St. Mary’s jail.

Melissa Mae Benton, 36, was alone in a cell in the detention center’s diagnostic holding area when correctional officers checked on her shortly before 6 p.m. that day, sheriff’s Capt. Michael Merican said, and efforts commenced to try to revive her.

Woman in St. Mary’s jail for robbery conspiracy dies -- SoMdNews.com

I think some of the comments got cleaned up *IF* this is the subject of the thread.

UPDATE: Name Released in Death at Detention Center in Leonardtown | Southern Maryland News Net

It still amazes me to read the comments posted below local news articles here.

MMM_donuts

Look, I've said this before and I'll say it again many times:

I initially had a really hard time with the general abrasiveness of this area but I've come to realize that it's a very beneficial thing that people here are so forthcoming, however brash it may be.

You wanna know what you don't have to worry about that people from the south do? What's NOT being said.

You don't have to wonder, you don't have to guess what people are saying. They say it to you and you have the opportunity to communicate openly. You get to defend your position. You are told if your behavior is wrong. You get to hear the uninformed assumptions. You get to DEAL WITH IT.

You should appreciate that.

This can't be what Hoover is complaining about because no one "dug up" information on her. She was just sentenced after being found guilty for being part of an armed robbery. She didn't even fight the charge. She also admitted she was addicted to drugs within the week before going in so how can people discussing her dying from detox or health issues related to her drug use be considered over the top and disrespectful? This was all public information and was published so nobody who posted after that article "dug up" any old news.

It has to be someone else Hoover was referring to.

Dakota

~~~~~~~
It still amazes me to read the comments posted below local news articles here.

Agree...the dead cannot defend themselves and when comments are made on local articles, the chances a family member or friend reading it is high.

Another thing is how graphic a so-called witness can be in their responses to articles about fatal accidents. Those comments were cleaned up as well as they should have been. Nobody needs to read that...

It has to be someone else Hoover was referring to.

I think so also but that was an article I remember reading that had some real mean/nasty/hateful comments... a few more than you are seeing now.

MarieB

Look, I've said this before and I'll say it again many times:

I initially had a really hard time with the general abrasiveness of this area but I've come to realize that it's a very beneficial thing that people here are so forthcoming, however brash it may be.

You wanna know what you don't have to worry about that people from the south do? What's NOT being said.

You don't have to wonder, you don't have to guess what people are saying. They say it to you and you have the opportunity to communicate openly. You get to defend your position. You are told if your behavior is wrong. You get to hear the uninformed assumptions. You get to DEAL WITH IT.

You should appreciate that.

Disagree

And many people, like in other areas, say #### anonymously

There are as many catty gossipers here, in my experience, as there is anywhere else.

Plenty of tacky people too (as noted by the comments that I've seen) and more seem to come out of the woodwork than in other areas where I've lived.

That is not to say that everyone here is like this, but it's not some beacon of enlightenment, etc