Do you have career satisfaction?

This_person

I have been searching for career satisfaction and am wondering if it is overrated and am I wanting something that is unlikely to happen. I know people who would kill to have the freedom I have in my work day, but others I work with can't handle the stress. I don't mind the stress so much if I get to do more than just plug the hole in the dam, but lately that's all that it has been is plugging hole after hole, many of which are created by people who have no desire to learn.

Long ago my dad told me it was called work for a reason and that you don't have to like it.

Career satisfaction is all about attitude and balance. Do you like being hungry and homeless? That's a great balancing point. From the point of attitude, you need to care about the things that matter, and most things don't matter.

What matters to YOU? Are you helping accomplish what matters? If you are, the rest of the stuff that causes stress probably doesn't matter. If you are not, are you hurting the accomplishment of what matters? If not, essentially the whole job is about putting food on the table, and nothing else matters. If you ARE hurting what matters to you most, change jobs.

I did not get my first degree until I was well into my 30's. I virtually completely changed careers as I entered my 50's. Nothing professionally was scarier and more exhilarating, nothing professionally has been more rewarding.

Just my thoughts.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Funny this topic came up because last week something in me snapped during a management meeting. I had to leave the room for a minute and it was so out of character for me, phone calls came in the days after just checking on me. I'm not angry, mad or demanding changes - just done.... done with the stupidity, disorganization, years and years of the same thing, just all of it. Nothing ever changes and there really is no fruit in my labor anymore.

what do you do ? Gov Work ?

Pete

Repete
No not really. I have a few years to go so I can retire form this god awful mess and do something productive preferably part time.

SamSpade

I've long given up on the idea of my job being the source of satisfaction.

As a former and well respected boss once said - "we're here because we HAVE to be - don't take work home".
My job is usually easy and not demanding, except for paperwork which I detest.
For that I get a fairly good salary and good benefits.
I will retire later than normal - but probably within 12-15 years - and comfortably, should I live that long.

So I guess I'm good.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Wow. After reading everyone else's posts I should count myself lucky that I've made a career out of doing stuff that I love to do and derive a lot of satisfaction from. I guess I thought that was more common than maybe it is...

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Wow. After reading everyone else's posts I should count myself lucky that I've made a career out of doing stuff that I love to do and derive a lot of satisfaction from. I guess I thought that was more common than maybe it is...

So you don't have a job - you have a career. Good deal.

stgislander

PREMO Member

Yeah... it's good to be king huh?