• Total voters

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
kwillia said:
My definition of a successful "at home" mom earning her keep
OMG! What decade are you in? :killingme

Did she marry a caveman...me Tarzan, you Jane. :beatschest: :lol:

She is someone who keeps a neat house, cooks balanced, healthy meals, has structured "learning time" with pre-schoolers and is very involved in their schools and studies once they hit school years. She also tends to her garden and flower beds. She's just as tired in the evenings as her husband is after his day of work... but if she works it right, they have the evening to enjoy together and relax as a family.

She's probably tired after all that, and he's gone straight to have a beer with his buds on the way home from work. :roflmao:

Women have an important role in their children's lives if they would just respect themselves and quit trying to "have it all" or be made to feel they aren't "earning their keep" while caring for their children in their younger years. Someone needs to raise the children, why not the mom instead of the daycare worker? If money's an issue (a real issue) you wouldn't need an extra car and "work" clothes for about 5 years, nor would daycare dollar$ be an issue. Is your "title", cell phone, big screen TV, SUV, new furniture, large house, etc. more important than your children having a full-time mom for a few years?

Sharon said:
OMG! What decade are you in? :killingme

Did she marry a caveman...me Tarzan, you Jane. :beatschest: :lol:

She's probably tired after all that, and he's gone straight to have a beer with his buds on the way home from work. :roflmao:

Women have an important role in their children's lives if they would just respect themselves and quit trying to "have it all" or be made to feel they aren't "earning their keep" while caring for their children in their younger years. Someone needs to raise the children, why not the mom instead of the daycare worker? If money's an issue (a real issue) you wouldn't need an extra car and "work" clothes for about 5 years, nor would daycare dollar$ be an issue. Is your "title", cell phone, big screen TV, SUV, new furniture, large house, etc. more important than your children having a full-time mom for a few years?
I chose those words..."earn her keep"... on purpose. I know of many "at home moms" who think that just "being there" suffices as raising their kids. Meanwhile they eat from cereal boxes and have the run of the house/neighborhood.

greyhound

Sharon said:

You couldn't have said it any better. I gave up a great paying job so that I could raise my own children. It was the best decision I have ever made. I drive used cars and go without a lot of extras. When I did go back to work I started working for the school system. This gives me summers off with my kids and still no daycare. It can be done by most people. It comes down to whats most important to you. More "stuff" or more time with your kids.

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
kwillia said:
I know of many "at home moms" who think that just "being there" suffices as raising their kids. Meanwhile they eat from cereal boxes and have the run of the house/neighborhood.

Suppose the same thing is happening at the daycare woman's house (who has 6 kids under her roof from dawn until dinner) .... AND the reason mom went off to work is because she can't stand being home with her OWN kids for 5 minutes. :really:

Last edited:

MMDad

Lem Putt
I respect good parents, whether they are Moms or Dads, stay at home or working. Just being a stay at home does nothing to earn respect. Andrea Yates was a stay at home. If she hadn't been, maybe her kids would still be alive.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I worked in some fashion - part time, weekends, evenings - throughout my kids' whole lives. Doug never had full-time daycare and Kyle did for about year or so, before she started school - I typically had jobs where my ex could be home with the kids or I got paid to watch other peoples' kids while *they* worked.

The ones I wonder about are these gals who take their 6-weeks maternity leave, then dump their newborn off at some strangers house so they can go back to their full-time career. When my kids were infants, forget cooking and cleaning - I could spend a whole day just playing with them and marveling at how cute they were. :lol:

Lugnut

I'm Rick James #####!
I don't automatically grant respect to anybody. Courtesy, yes. But respect has to be earned.

I know one stay at home dad, and he sucks as a parent. I know about 6 stay at home mom's. Only one is a decent parent, the other five suck.

Every one of the familys I know that have a stay at home parent is struggling financially and has marital problems beyond that of the familys I know with both parents working.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
vraiblonde said:
The ones I wonder about are these gals who take their 6-weeks maternity leave, then dump their newborn off at some strangers house so they can go back to their full-time career.
Maybe they don't have the financial means to take anymore time off. :shrug: I don't fault anyone for going right back to work after a child is born. You do what youhave to in order to ensure the best for your family.

greyhound

I think everyone is confusing "respect" in the question.

"I think" she means....do you respect the choice to be a stay at home mom. Or do you think this is a behind the times idea and women should have careers.

greyhound said:
I think everyone is confusing "respect" in the question.

"I think" she means....do you respect the choice to be a stay at home mom. Or do you think this is a behind the times idea and women should have careers.
But even reading the question from that perspective... it isn't a "yes" or "no" question.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
kwillia said:
But even reading the question from that perspective... it isn't a "yes" or "no" question.
I think the majority of SAH moms enjoy their time at home with their children and taking care of the house. THOSE are the SAH moms I think the thread references. Of course there are other SAH moms who could care less if their child(ren) wake up on time and get out the door for school.

Ehesef

Yo Gabba Gabba
Crap! I clicked No by accident! So one of those no's should be a yes....stay at home parents have a full time job. I hope that when I have kids, I can afford to stay at home with them, at least until preschool age...