Dropping like flies...

Midnightrider

Was he offered the position? simple question, "yes" or "no" are really the only two viable answers.

:killingme

He declined
https://newrepublic.com/minutes/152591/nick-ayers-expected-named-white-house-chief-staff-turns-job said:
Ayers had been in negotiations with the White House to take the position, but talks broke down over several issues, including how long Ayers was expected to stay on the job. Ayers wanted the job to be temporary while the president preferred a chief of staff willing to commit to at least two years.

This_person

:killingme

He declined

See, here's how it works; to decline, one must be offered. If one is not offered, but there is a negotiation going on, then the negotiations broke down and no offer was made. If no offer was made, one cannot decline. If an offer was made, on CAN decline.

Was an offer made? {edit} I read the article. Not once did it say he declined. It said they could not come to an agreement - you know, no offer was made, therefore no one declined anything.

If your point is the attempt was made and it failed, YOU WIN, because that is true.

If your point is that an offer was made and not accepted (declined) YOU LOSE, because that is not true.

It's really that simple.

Last edited:

Midnightrider

See, here's how it works; to decline, one must be offered. If one is not offered, but there is a negotiation going on, then the negotiations broke down and no offer was made. If no offer was made, one cannot decline. If an offer was made, on CAN decline.

Was an offer made? {edit} I read the article. Not once did it say he declined. It said they could not come to an agreement - you know, no offer was made, therefore no one declined anything.

If your point is the attempt was made and it failed, YOU WIN, because that is true.

If your point is that an offer was made and not accepted (declined) YOU LOSE, because that is not true.

It's really that simple.

Whatever you need to tell yourself.

If you are asking someone to work for you and that person will not accept your terms, they have declined.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
If one is not offered, but there is a negotiation going on, then the negotiations broke down and no offer was made.

There was no negotiation. Ayers was leaving already, and that was widely reported. My understanding from what Ayers himself said is that the offer was a bit of a token and more of a compliment on his work than a serious discussion of him taking the position.

The bots are losing their hivemind, acting like this is some enormous deal, like they'd ever even heard this guy's name before the media decided to throw them some meat. They're just keening on command.

Midnightrider

There was no negotiation. Ayers was leaving already, and that was widely reported. My understanding from what Ayers himself said is that the offer was a bit of a token and more of a compliment on his work than a serious discussion of him taking the position.

The bots are losing their hivemind, acting like this is some enormous deal, like they'd ever even heard this guy's name before the media decided to throw them some meat. They're just keening on command.

Yeah, that’s it..... and that’s why trump is talking about all the people who want to be his COS
‘some of my friends want to be my CoS’

Seriously, that’s what he said today. You know that Kelly has to be ecstatic that he is getting out the door without facing any charges.

This_person

Whatever you need to tell yourself.

If you are asking someone to work for you and that person will not accept your terms, they have declined.

What if Trump wouldn't agree to Ayers' terms? Does that mean Trump declined Ayers?

I think what it means is, they couldn't come to an agreement. If an offer was made, and Ayers declined it, you would be right. An offer was not made, thus there was no declining. If you feel the negotiations breaking down is Ayers declining, then you logically have to also see it as Trump declining.

If you want to make the point that they couldn't come to an agreement each side was happy with, you'd be right. If you want to say one side declined an offer from the other side, you'd be wrong.