Drugs claim 2 more lives...

Larry Gude

Strung Out
You just made my point nicely and refuted your own self. Legalization clearly doesn't prevent death due to destructive behavior, as you tried to make the case for.

I made the case for the end of the violence and corruption and transitioning to it being a health problem, not that it would end, or even reduce, addiction.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
The b and e.

Psh. That kid is of a kind. Just another low level druggie from a dysfunctional environment. Dime a dozen. Ho hum.

If drugs are legal, punks like him will still be stealing to get their fix. It's not like they have jobs or anything. Robbing people and stealing #### IS their job and all they know how to do. In the book Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets, David Simon quotes one kid as saying that he (the kid) has never had a job and doesn't even know anyone who's ever had a job.

You're thinking of these folks as like you, and they are most certainly not. They live in a culture that people like you or I cannot possibly relate to.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I made the case for the end of the violence and corruption and transitioning to it being a health problem, not that it would end, or even reduce, addiction.

But you do understand that violence and corruption will never go away, right? Even if it's not over drugs, it will be over something else.

You understand that, right?

Tell me you understand that.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
But you do understand that violence and corruption will never go away, right? Even if it's not over drugs, it will be over something else.

You understand that, right?

Tell me you understand that.

I think the violence and corruption go down A LOT with the end of prohibition. We KNOW this, fact certain, from the last time we tried this. Tell me you KNOW that.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I think the violence and corruption go down A LOT with the end of prohibition. We KNOW this, fact certain, from the last time we tried this. Tell me you KNOW that.

Larry.

You are one one hand saying that violence and corruption were greatly reduced after alcohol was re-legalized; you are also bemoaning the violence and corruption we have today, post alcohol prohibition, because of illegal drugs.

Am I going to have to spell this out to you? Because if I have to do that, you should be embarrassed.

SamSpade

Larry.

You are one one hand saying that violence and corruption were greatly reduced after alcohol was re-legalized;.

You know, I am *trying* to find evidence of that - and I can't find it.
Moreover, what I read about the Volstead act is, it wasn't illegal to drink - just illegal to "manufacture, sell, barter, transport, import, export, deliver, or furnish any intoxicating liquor except as authorized by this act".
Most stuff I read says the whole crime spree stuff during Prohibition is just Hollywood sensationalism.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
You know, I am *trying* to find evidence of that - and I can't find it.
Moreover, what I read about the Volstead act is, it wasn't illegal to drink - just illegal to "manufacture, sell, barter, transport, import, export, deliver, or furnish any intoxicating liquor except as authorized by this act".
Most stuff I read says the whole crime spree stuff during Prohibition is just Hollywood sensationalism.

Well, whatever - it's certainly debatable and not cut and dried like some people think it is.

If the argument for drug legalization is to curtail criminal activity, and you want to use Prohibition as your model, you have already shot your own evidence in the foot.

luvmygdaughters

Not sure about 3Cat, but I'm the brand of totalitarian who is sick and tired of paying for and suffering the consequences of people's poor choices in life. If you want to kill yourself with drugs, be my guest. It's when you involve me in any way that it becomes problematic.

:dingding: My thoughts exactly!!!!!

luvmygdaughters

How will legalizing drugs stop homelessness, drug addiction, crimes, criminals and people overdosing? Its very apparent that users will do whatever it takes to get that high. If its doled out by pharmacies, what happens when they cant get their refill, of the drug of choice, because its been too soon since their last hit, shot, whatever? They will go right back to getting it on the streets, they will continue to steal and rob to get the money for the drugs. Legalizing it only free's up the court systems. And on a personal note, I am not crazy about the thought of people wandering the streets, operating motor vehicles, driving buses, building homes, etc all out of their minds on drugs!!!! Scary thought!!

black dog

Free America
It was never a self cleaning oven since taxpayer foot the bill for their healthcare, ambulance care, hospital stays, jail time, etc.

Most of that has just been in the last 60 + - years. When modern medicine rolled through in the 1920's folks that over medicated for whatever reason it was a self cleaning oven.
We really didn't start picking up the " Bills " untill the 50's on, depending opon the program.

officeguy

I think the violence and corruption go down A LOT with the end of prohibition. We KNOW this, fact certain, from the last time we tried this.

Is that so ?

Or is this something we 'know' because decades of movies and press coverage have told us that it is so ?

kinmd

There but foir the grace of Goid

I'm 61 yo and haven't drank or used an illegal drug in awhile, but I liked to party hard back in hte day as they say. Not alot of drugs, some pot, some cocaine on occasion. I've just got to say I'm glad the cheap heroin and opioids weren't around back then. Some of you will know what I'm talking about. Im no better than these two people, just luckier maybe.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Some of you will know what I'm talking about. Im no better than these two people, just luckier maybe.

Not me. I realized at a young age that I only had so much smarts and I was going to need to retain every single bit if I wanted to have a reasonable life at some point. Wasn't anyone gonna do it for me. I was a very half-hearted recreational pot smoker in high school and only started drinking alcohol in any real capacity after I married my second husband. I was always scared that I'd burn out what few brain cells I had, then I'd be dumb like everyone else.

Clearly you, kinmd, ARE better than these two. You didn't kill yourself with poor choices.

black dog

Free America
Yep, I watched a girl overdose on Quaaludes in 1972 in Junior High School, she was dead before the rescue squad arrived. It left a indelible mark in my brain that is still there today. The burnouts, stoners and the dead I grew up with are a long freight train.
Sad, that so many are gone over bad choices.