Electric Bill!

Christy

b*tch rocket
But are pellets even available this time of year? A guy I ran into who has a chimney company here said you can't get'm anywhere.

They have a shortage every year, which I think is such crap. If you buy in the summer they are plentiful and about half the price. They were running $199 in July, last I heard they were now selling for $345. :faint:

Still worth it though. I :heart: my pellet stove. Eventually I want to get a woodstove insert for the basement to use in case of a power outage. I love heat, can't you tell? :lol:

MadDogMarine

NEW baseboard electrical heat will be no more efficient than OLD baseboard electrical heat. Both are 100% efficient. 1KW old baseboard and 1KW new baseboard will both use 1KWhr of electric when run for one hour. Electric rates are exhorbitant and only an alternate fuel choice will save money. Quartz heaters are nice if you point them toward your body. You will then be warmer than the rest of the room. They are less efficient than baseboard electric since part of the electric is converted to light but you can use a smaller heater if pointed to yourself. Your only other option is removing part of a window to install an opening for a stove flu for pellet,kerosene or wood stove.

Xaquin44

NEW baseboard electrical heat will be no more efficient than OLD baseboard electrical heat. Both are 100% efficient. 1KW old baseboard and 1KW new baseboard will both use 1KWhr of electric when run for one hour. Electric rates are exhorbitant and only an alternate fuel choice will save money. Quartz heaters are nice if you point them toward your body. You will then be warmer than the rest of the room. They are less efficient than baseboard electric since part of the electric is converted to light but you can use a smaller heater if pointed to yourself. Your only other option is removing part of a window to install an opening for a stove flu for pellet,kerosene or wood stove.

hmmmm

I was afraid logic would win =(

Thanks all =)

I think maybe insulating my attic better and getting an insulation sleeve for my Hot Water Heater may be my best bet.

MadDogMarine

Three things on electric hot water tanks.
1)Thermal blankets work
2)Time switches work, just activate one hr before your shower/bath time
3)3/4" plywood under the tank(if tank is on cement floor)
will insulate and save money being sucked into your cold floor.

If you enable all three above expect big savings just on hot water.

If you want the inconvenience, I think SMECO is still offering discounts
for load management devices on your electric water heater. They get to turn it off when they want to.

Xaquin44

Three things on electric hot water tanks.
1)Thermal blankets work
2)Time switches work, just activate one hr before your shower/bath time
3)3/4" plywood under the tank(if tank is on cement floor)
will insulate and save money being sucked into your cold floor.

If you enable all three above expect big savings just on hot water.

If you want the inconvenience, I think SMECO is still offering discounts
for load management devices on your electric water heater. They get to turn it off when they want to.

1: getting one this weekend =)
2: does someone need to install this or is it relatively simple?
3: my HW heater is in the attic

thanks sir =)

nicole_M

We have electric baseboard heat throughout our home as well... Early 1990's split foyer.

We actually are doing what SamSpade suggested... We purchased 2 efficient space heaters and are not using the baseboard AT ALL and my bill has dropped $100 from what it was last year without the space heaters.

My bill is in the mid $300's this month as opposed to $500 that is was last December. Next month - when it gets colder - will be a test to see if the space heaters are actually helping with cost.

Good luck - I despise baseboard heat!!!! Luckily, we do have central air.

W

Wenchy

We have old baseboard heat in each room of the house and each has an individual thermostat. Last month was $250...still waiting on this month's bill.

The entire house is electric, so no additional costs.

nicole_M

We have old baseboard heat in each room of the house and each has an individual thermostat. Last month was $250...still waiting on this month's bill.

The entire house is electric, so no additional costs.

This is exactly what I have as well.

It is nice to have the convenience of a thermostat in every room...

W

Wenchy

This is exactly what I have as well.

It is nice to have the convenience of a thermostat in every room...

It's nice until you're known as the thermostat Nazi. I actually relish the role. :wench:

We also have the built in heaters (wall heaters) in the two bathrooms. Radiant heat. The boys can no longer use it because they forget to turn it off. I walk in and it's 100 degrees. The hot water can do that and they don't need the radiant heaters.

MadDogMarine

"does someone need to install this or is it relatively simple"
I take "this" to mean the time switch??
It can be installed by a handyman by cutting the power cable to the tank AFTER the power has been disconnected. Read and reread the directions.
I also agree with other postings that a separate thermostat should be in each room for baseboard heat and are usually installed that way??? If not, then small space heaters will save a lot of money.

Xaquin44

ugh

damnable old house

the space between my roof trusses is 10" (clear)

there are no premade strips that size, and I refuse to do blow in insulation. Looks like I'll be spending a lot of time with a utility knife lol =/

I did get the Hot Water Heater Insulation though =)

$20.00 at Lowes in case anyone wants to know!

HeadCase

IT's ALL RED
The government is offering rebates/refunds and reduced interest for solar or "green" homes. You may look into various alternative solutions for your home. There are also companies that will come to you free of charge and give you an analysis based on angle, age and complexity that can point you in the direction for government grants and funding resources.

There are new "green" companies popping up everywhere that need the business and will go to bat for you in helping you to afford the switch. I get emails from them almost weekly and belong to allot of co-op organizations. Let me know if your interested and I'll forward the info.

Xaquin44

The government is offering rebates/refunds and reduced interest for solar or "green" homes. You may look into various alternative solutions for your home. There are also companies that will come to you free of charge and give you an analysis based on angle, age and complexity that can point you in the direction for government grants and funding resources.

There are new "green" companies popping up everywhere that need the business and will go to bat for you in helping you to afford the switch. I get emails from them almost weekly and belong to allot of co-op organizations. Let me know if your interested and I'll forward the info.

sure, if you want to PM me, I'd appreciate it =)

itsbob

I bowl overhand
NEW baseboard electrical heat will be no more efficient than OLD baseboard electrical heat. Both are 100% efficient. 1KW old baseboard and 1KW new baseboard will both use 1KWhr of electric when run for one hour.

This is true at face value.. Electric heat is 100% efficient.

BUT how much BTU are you getting for that 1kw? You need to dig a little deeper in your research even though both are 100 efficient, one may still be more economical than the other.

C

czygvtwkr

This is true at face value.. Electric heat is 100% efficient.

BUT how much BTU are you getting for that 1kw? You need to dig a little deeper in your research even though both are 100 efficient, one may still be more economical than the other.

BUT and KW-hr are interchangable units like feet and meters. What you really mean is BTU/$$ or kW/$$.

theArtistFormerlyKnownAs

BUT and KW-hr are interchangable units like feet and meters. What you really mean is BTU/$$ or kW/$$.

wtf are you talking about?
A foot does NOT equal a meter....
So interchangeable isn't the right word I don't think...
Here's the conversion though

Answer
BTUs and kilowatts measure different types of quantities. A BTU (British Thermal Unit) measures heat (energy), while a kilowatt (1000 watts) measures power (energy per unit time).

1 BTU equals 0.0002928 kilowatt-hour

1 BTU/minute equals 0.01757 kilowatt.

Last edited:
C

czygvtwkr

wtf are you talking about?
A foot does NOT equal a meter....
So interchangeable isn't the right word I don't think...
Here's the conversion though

By interchangable I ment they quantify the same thing, such as a meter and a foot both quantify length only.

Chain729

CageKicker Extraordinaire

No, he meant what he said. If all spaceheaters dumped 1 BTU into the room for every .0002928 kWh they sucked out of the wall, they'd all cost the same to run per BTU. So, cost comparison would be stupidly simple: Buy the cheapest one in the size you need.

Kind of like 100% efficient. We all know full-well it's impossible, but you can calculate things to say anything you want if you ignore context and hence, what the numbers really mean.