Electric Bill!

qbee

Question...

Duct work is already throughout the house and we already have an A/C that is capable of a heating unit. Does anyone know how much this might cost and someone to install such part? We currently have baseboard heaters and its killing us in the electric bill! Thank you!

C

czygvtwkr

No, he meant what he said. If all spaceheaters dumped 1 BTU into the room for every .0002928 kWh they sucked out of the wall, they'd all cost the same to run per BTU. So, cost comparison would be stupidly simple: Buy the cheapest one in the size you need.

Kind of like 100% efficient. We all know full-well it's impossible, but you can calculate things to say anything you want if you ignore context and hence, what the numbers really mean.

Not true, some things make you feel warmer than others, for example the radiant dish style heaters that heat only you and not the air. A heater with a fan will not warm you the same as a radiant heater, it will heat the room more even though.

Anyway back to the original posters delima.

Make sure the fins on the baseboards are clean and the units themselves are in good shape. Make sure the electric wiring is in good shape, so that you aren't sending electricity into a ground somewhere

Just like a radiator they can be sending heat out the wall, so some sort of radiant barrier between them and the wall can help reflect heat into the room and not through the wall. I really like the silver foil bubblewrap like radiant insulation sold at Lowes. Reflectix Inc. | Do-It-Yourself | DIY Behind Hot Water Radiator

Above all seal air leaks, insulate everywhere you can, get some heavy curtians to close at night.

I'd also recommend a small kerosene heater for those really cold days and to have around for emergency heat.

Last edited by a moderator:
R

RadioPatrol

We have electric baseboard heat throughout our home as well... Early 1990's split foyer.

yeah those oil filled heaters have MASS ... something the electric Base does not

you get the OIL hot and it radiates for awhile after the electric is turned off

:popcorn:

C

czygvtwkr

You make it through the cold snap?

I'd hate to see this electric bill.

Xaquin44

OKAY THIS MONTHS BILL IS IN!

first, what I did.

This month I:

Turned two of our 7 baseboard heaters off.
Unplugged the microwave clock (previously on 24/7)
Unplugged the Wii (previously on 24/7)
Unplugged the coffee maker (cause it had a clock) (previously on 24/7)
Unplugged the Wiimote Charger (previously on 24/7)
Insulated the Hot Water Heater
Insulated the Attic entrance
Turned the Hot Water Heater from 130 to 125 (not a huge change I know)
Turned off the Attic Fan (previously on 24/7) (it'll go on again in the summer)
Replaced all of our light bulbs with 13 watt energy savers
ALL Base board heaters were off for 3 days when it was warm
Turned off two computers and two monitors (previously on 24/7)

my bill went up $40.00

in short.

eat my ass SMECO.

I'm really not sure how this is even possible.

Last edited:

Chain729

CageKicker Extraordinaire
OKAY THIS MONTHS BILL IS IN!

first, what I did.

This month I:

Turned two of our 7 baseboard heaters off.
Unplugged the microwave clock (previously on 24/7)
Unplugged the Wii (previously on 24/7)
Unplugged the coffee maker (cause it had a clock) (previously on 24/7)
Unplugged the Wiimote Charger (previously on 24/7)
Insulated the Hot Water Heater
Insulated the Attic entrance
Turned the Hot Water Heater from 130 to 125 (not a huge change I know)
Turned off the Attic Fan (previously on 24/7) (it'll go on again in the summer)
Replaced all of our light bulbs with 13 watt energy savers
ALL Base board heaters were off for 3 days when it was warm
Turned off two computers and two monitors (previously on 24/7)

my bill went up $40.00

in short.

eat my ass SMECO.

1. Check the last two meter read dates and compare them to when you changed things. They don't always read it every month.

2. Check your KWh, usage and compare it to last months. Price of electricity fluctuates.

3. Are your baseboard heaters on thermostats, or otherwise run more than usual? It's been colder than usual lately.

Xaquin44

1. Check the last two meter read dates and compare them to when you changed things. They don't always read it every month.

2. Check your KWh, usage and compare it to last months. Price of electricity fluctuates.

3. Are your baseboard heaters on thermostats, or otherwise run more than usual? It's been colder than usual lately.

1: I called and they said they actually came out and read it

2: I called em and they said prices went up 3 cents a kwh

3: The baseboards have been on the same as last month (they are not on thermostats) with the exception of 2 of the 7 which are turned off.

Christy

b*tch rocket
in short.

eat my ass SMECO.

:yeahthat:

And short of having your electricity turned off it's what we're stuck with. Our bill keeps going up up up, and I understand the cost of electricity going up, but it reflects that the useage is way up as well. I had a $650 bill in October. The bill reflected that it was the highest use of electricity in my house EVER. This was even before the heat was being used. I don't see how it is possible. September and October are typically our lower use months since we aren't using the AC and the pool is closed down. I was making a concerted effort to use less electricity. I've replaced all of my appliances and the heat/AC is brand new.

My parents have the same issue. Useage is way up even though nothing has changed. It's just my mom and dad in a little bitty house and their bills are running $450 a month now.

It's a conspiracy I tell ya!

nosey

Has anyone had a mini-split system installed? Our remoddeler is pushing a Mitsubishi. We don't have any duct work.

W

Wenchy

:yeahthat:

And short of having your electricity turned off it's what we're stuck with. Our bill keeps going up up up, and I understand the cost of electricity going up, but it reflects that the useage is way up as well. I had a $650 bill in October. The bill reflected that it was the highest use of electricity in my house EVER. This was even before the heat was being used. I don't see how it is possible. September and October are typically our lower use months since we aren't using the AC and the pool is closed down. I was making a concerted effort to use less electricity. I've replaced all of my appliances and the heat/AC is brand new.

My parents have the same issue. Useage is way up even though nothing has changed. It's just my mom and dad in a little bitty house and their bills are running $450 a month now.

It's a conspiracy I tell ya!

Indeed it is.

Where do we go from here?

Xaquin44

hmmm seems I went from 3,464 kwh to 3,573 kwh

guess I should turn my baseboards back on and uninsulate the attic access and Hot Water Heater so I can use less electricity =/

also, better put back in my 60 watt bulbs and get rid of all the energy sucking 13 watt bulbs I put in.

Last edited:

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
My sisters bill this past month was a $$$grand mine was $312, my highest ever, sometimes having less than 2000 sq ft. is a good thing. Still though.:faint:

R

RadioPatrol

crawl space .... sort of

It's more like an 'if it were about 12 more inches off the ground you could' crawl space.

sounds like under parts of my house ....

well .... I know a deep subject .....

I would recommend a fossil fuel based heating source .... and cast iron base boards (again your looking for that MASS) of course in this day and age finding cast iron radiators is going to be tough and New will be really expensive .... in the long run you might save but you are basically trading one energy source for another .... electric for Propane, Nat Gas or #2 Fuel Oil ... although with the fuel OIL I guess you might burn BIO ....

how about a Solar / Hot Water Base board .... so you get lots of sun light when it is not cloudy ?

the house here was put up in the 1950's and has a 1/2 inch air gap between cinder block and sheet rock for insulation .... old 1970's blown in crap in the attic ...

our Pepco bill is on a budget and runs on average now $300 bucks ... then the GAS kicks up in the winter heating season to add to the misery ... :evil: