Epic Smow Storm

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
No. The ice storms definitely sucked. Being without power for up to 10 days, losing money from not being able to work, but still having bills roll in.

Sometimes I wish I was on the dole or a kid because then I would know that Uncle Sugar or Mommy and Daddy would take care of everything. And I feel the same about the folks that wish for a hurricane to come up the and impact SoMD. I would love to see you lose your home to an act of nature that you wished for because then I would dance to the music of your anguished sobs.

MarieB

4 Storms in 7 Days?
Next Week?
Here is the latest Canadian GEM Model showing just that... Making the Mid Atlantic feel like we have a target on our backs... in fact much of the eastern US. We will have a thaw for a few days and then pay for it!

Why show this?
Yesterday I shot down the extreme snowfall map that went viral because I don't believe in giving snow amounts that far out. That was one extreme member of one model, and a summary of 10 days. The variation of precipitation type seen here is one reason I didn't support it.
But...
This is my trusty Canadian Model, which I have proven quite valid with my successful forecasting record this winter. It is not perfect. Nor am I.

*Sometimes however, a pattern remains in tact and gets charged up. Even if half of this verified, it would be significant.
The confidence does go down with each event farther in time, but it will be a very busy week indeed.
*Note: There will be fluctuations of the storm tracks and perhaps frequency. It is possible the energy of two of these combines into one event instead of the splits shown.
*Also: This is not hype. I don't think that helps my credibility. This is for the purpose of documenting and noting how reliable this particular model has been lately.

It all of this verifies- Look out!
Download my Kid Weather App and help our cause.
Kid Weather is an Educational Weather App for iPhone, iPad, and Android
Maybe yours as well as we work hard to release version 2.0. My new app is for grown ups and on the way shortly.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Justin-Berk-Meteorologist/54875673475?ref=ts&fref=ts

mamatutu

mama to two
What was so awesome about that event?

Agree. What is so awesome about any weather event, whether it be winter or tropical. We lost a whole aquarium of fish in the last major storm here with blackout, and we couldn't help them. We do not own a generator. I grew up in NOLA so I am used to storms and fending for one's self, but there is a difference between fending in tropical temps as opposed to frigid, killing temps. I hope the forecast is wrong.

I forgot to say that I felt so bad for those fish. We tried blankets and everything, We, obviously, didn't cover all bases. I was used to living in the South. I will never be responsible again for a creature dying under my supervision if I can help it. I will be prepared from now on. And, no we never got more fish. I was sad for a long time. :frown:

Last edited:

Shutout

If by "awesome" you mean "sucked monkey balls" I have to agree.

It was a frustrating week that is for sure. I worked in the Chesapeake Beach area for most of the event and was pretty tired when I finally headed north.

mamatutu

mama to two
It was a frustrating week that is for sure. I worked in the Chesapeake Beach area for most of the event and was pretty tired when I finally headed north.

It is funny you bring up the tired thing. My future SIL started a landscape biz last year and counted on clearing snow/salting in the off season. He got his first big taste of that last week. He worked for 25 hours without sleeping. That is not good! He would definitely have to have an alternate driver if we get an epic snow event. He is a novice at this, and I don't think he understood the ramifications until now.

Shutout

It is funny you bring up the tired thing. My future SIL started a landscape biz last year and counted on clearing snow/salting in the off season. He got his first big taste of that last week. He worked for 25 hours without sleeping. That is not good! He would definitely have to have an alternate driver if we get an epic snow event. He is a novice at this, and I don't think he understood the ramifications until now.

I am sure the long hours invovled with snow/ice removal are taxing. Also factor in that they are operating equipment.

I was not invovled with snow removal but was tired none the less. You feel bad for the people with damage to their property, living with no power, and then still getting up to go to work each day.