Failing Kindergarten in less than 2 months

Clem72

I'm not saying the school/teacher is wrong about the kid. He probably would have benefited from holding off another year from starting Kindergarten. My issue I guess is how quick the teacher decided there was no hope for the kid to pass and how they pressured the parents into making an all or nothing decision this early.
Wait, are they pulling the kid out or just reserving space for them next year? The only reason I could think of that they would remove the kid from the class would be not because they aren't learning enough but because they are being a disruption to the other students.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Well, the parents have already let the school know that the son will repeat Kindergarten so it seems like a done deal. They told the son that the school determined that they will need a leader of the Kindergartners next year and have elected him as said leader. Probably not the right way to handle it but that is what they did.
If it's immaturity and a little less ability to catch up - that's not the worst thing. I didn't think that taking him OUT and then holding him out unti next year was the right thing.

It's not easy to really give opinions on situations like this without being part of the entire equation. Lord knows I'd been to over 30 IEP(yearly and in-between) meetings in my son's school career, and I know that it was hard to outline every single detail to others. I was always the lone parent making those choices, as his dad never attended ANY. I questioned my abilities daily, and in retrospect only regret 1 or 2 choices/decisions I ever made for him. Most of them were on the mark, though, and served him very well in his life. I say that, because it was a FULL TIME job to learn what I needed to learn to help him. Yes, it was Special Education, but it's the same for any kid in school. Parents need to be involved.

Bann

PREMO Member
My only experience with school issues was with my youngest and having a hard time with math. His Kindergarten teacher called me in to talk about it. Found out she made him cry daily because he couldn't get the right answer right away or would use his fingers to get the right answer. Teacher told me that was unacceptable in her class. Needless to say, my response was not very lady like. I must not have been the only one with a problem with her because she was fired.
THAT would have been my response, as well.

I definitely had to advocate for my son quite a few times.

Bann

PREMO Member
I was that kid and still struggle with math. Even with two different tutors, I am completely unable to grasp certain aspects. Thank goodness common core math was introduced after my daughter was almost done with school.
I had a math teacher in 6th grade who totally humilated and embarrassed me over a wrong answer. I was not the type of kid who just let that roll off back. It was devastating to me and it took me YEARS to understand that he was and ******* and that created a "trigger" in me when things like that would happen in the future.

I still hate math, too.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
Wait, are they pulling the kid out or just reserving space for them next year? The only reason I could think of that they would remove the kid from the class would be not because they aren't learning enough but because they are being a disruption to the other students.
Not sure. There is no more talk of school with him on their daily FaceTime session but it could just be that they are avoiding the subject. No more "have fun at school today" or "what are you going to learn today at school " type of thing like he used to get.

As bad as he feels about this, he did tell me that he's happy he isn't dealing with what another coworker is going through. His 8 year old went feral at age 5. Full on rage episode where she attacks anyone nearby. Family members hide in their rooms because of her. Police are called weekly and she is hauled off to the kiddie psych ward for a few days. Then sent home again. Wash, rinse, repeat.

I had only known what the coworker tells me or what I read in the Police reports. She lives in the city I work for the Police with so I can see their reports. Got to hear first hand yesterday. Normally this happens after I leave for the day or I am not paying that much attention to calls going on through the Police radio on my desk. I got a heads up yesterday because she called her dad and I could hear her raging. He hung up and called dispatch himself. Turned out the other daughter called too because the kid had gotten the mom down on the ground and choked her out. Got to listen to everything that was happening as Police relayed info to dispatch over the radio. I felt horrible for my coworker having to listen to it.

Won't know all the details until Tuesday when I can read the official report. Coworker is over the situation and it sounds like he wants her locked up somewhere and the key thrown away but the mom (who is 99% the brunt of her aggression) won't allow it.

Bann

PREMO Member
Not sure. There is no more talk of school with him on their daily FaceTime session but it could just be that they are avoiding the subject. No more "have fun at school today" or "what are you going to learn today at school " type of thing like he used to get.

As bad as he feels about this, he did tell me that he's happy he isn't dealing with what another coworker is going through. His 8 year old went feral at age 5. Full on rage episode where she attacks anyone nearby. Family members hide in their rooms because of her. Police are called weekly and she is hauled off to the kiddie psych ward for a few days. Then sent home again. Wash, rinse, repeat.

I had only known what the coworker tells me or what I read in the Police reports. She lives in the city I work for the Police with so I can see their reports. Got to hear first hand yesterday. Normally this happens after I leave for the day or I am not paying that much attention to calls going on through the Police radio on my desk. I got a heads up yesterday because she called her dad and I could hear her raging. He hung up and called dispatch himself. Turned out the other daughter called too because the kid had gotten the mom down on the ground and choked her out. Got to listen to everything that was happening as Police relayed info to dispatch over the radio. I felt horrible for my coworker having to listen to it.

Won't know all the details until Tuesday when I can read the official report. Coworker is over the situation and it sounds like he wants her locked up somewhere and the key thrown away but the mom (who is 99% the brunt of her aggression) won't allow it.
This is very alarming for a child of 8! (understatement, I know)

Obviously, there are details unknown, but it sounds like the child needs to be evaulated by professionals at Kennedy Krieger Institute. This chould be psychiatric OR a developmental issue.

black dog

Free America
I was that kid and still struggle with math. Even with two different tutors, I am completely unable to grasp certain aspects. Thank goodness common core math was introduced after my daughter was almost done with school.
My son mother is the same, she got lost with math when they hit fractions. She never caught back up. Math just locked up her brain.

When mine was little, like me we have Aug birthdays, and with that the option comes with do we start him early or late.
I asked my father why he started me early, he said I started you early because if you failed it would most likely be early in your education, and most likely no one would remember and tease to about it. He said put him in school.

A few years later while at Lettie Dent, we realized he wasn't being taught math tables, cursive writing, dealing with money/giving change and a few other things.
We spent maybe 15 to 25 min a night working with him and it paid off shortly. We used other members of our family that had higher education than either of us when we hit road blocks and didn't know the answer or the correct route to get where he needed to be.
High School math questions were answered by my Uncle, nuke engineer or his son professor at Carnegie Melon, along with two BIL that were Navy Academy Grads. They all were a huge help.
Kids like the elderly need an advocate.

black dog

Free America

My Dad always said his sons were autistic but he beat it out of us.
He was joking of course, but I find it interesting that there is something to strict discipline working with some.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
This is very alarming for a child of 8! (understatement, I know)

Obviously, there are details unknown, but it sounds like the child needs to be evaulated by professionals at Kennedy Krieger Institute. This chould be psychiatric OR a developmental issue.
She has been evaluated by a lot of people. Diagnosed with a few things. What's odd is her behavior only occurs in private. When she's at school, no issues. At activities, no issues. At work with dad, no issues. Personally I think it's mostly for attention considering how she can turn it on and off at will but who knows.

Bann

PREMO Member
He was joking of course, but I find it interesting that there is something to strict discipline working with some.
As long as it is handled in non-abusive ways, of course, and IS CONSISTENT (hello, parents!)...if normal, true, age-appropriate discipline does NOT work on young children - there is a problem. MOST CHILDREN are very capable, and do very well with accountability, discipline, routines, etc. SOME are more challenging, granted.

Under the above conditions, it is the exception when they don't/can't. There is always a reason.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
Dad did defend himself against her recently by basically shoving her off him and into a wall. Left bruises and mom threatened to call authorities on him. She would rather hide in her bedroom or be attacked by the kid than to protect herself from harm and/or put a stop to the behavior overall.

Bann

PREMO Member
She has been evaluated by a lot of people. Diagnosed with a few things. What's odd is her behavior only occurs in private. When she's at school, no issues. At activities, no issues. At work with dad, no issues. Personally I think it's mostly for attention considering how she can turn it on and off at will but who knows.
Doing this for such exteme negative attention is also alarming.

Bann

PREMO Member
Dad did defend himself against her recently by basically shoving her off him and into a wall. Left bruises and mom threatened to call authorities on him. She would rather hide in her bedroom or be attacked by the kid than to protect herself from harm and/or put a stop to the behavior overall.
This is not normal, either. Mom needs to get psych help.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
As long as it is handled in non-abusive ways, of course, and IS CONSISTENT (hello, parents!)...if normal, true, age-appropriate discipline does NOT work on young children - there is a problem. MOST CHILDREN are very capable, and do very well with accountability, discipline, routines, etc. SOME are more challenging, granted.

Under the above conditions, it is the exception when they don't/can't. There is always a reason.
She is fine with everyone else except her mom. The dad incident was the first time in 3 years and it was because he had temporary custody of her and she didn't want to go to school that day. Her mom lets her stay home 3 days a week but Dad said no. She got upset and went after him because she was told no.

black dog

Free America
I would guess that "Mom" might be part of the problem. Do the outbursts happen outside of the home?

Bann

PREMO Member
She is definitely a nutjob herself. I sit at my desk and just shake my head over some of the conversations they have with each other over the phone.
Are the parents together?

The main issue now is the parents are NOT on the same page

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
My son mother is the same, she got lost with math when they hit fractions. She never caught back up. Math just locked up her brain.

When mine was little, like me we have Aug birthdays, and with that the option comes with do we start him early or late.
I asked my father why he started me early, he said I started you early because if you failed it would most likely be early in your education, and most likely no one would remember and tease to about it. He said put him in school.

A few years later while at Lettie Dent, we realized he wasn't being taught math tables, cursive writing, dealing with money/giving change and a few other things.
We spent maybe 15 to 25 min a night working with him and it paid off shortly. We used other members of our family that had higher education than either of us when we hit road blocks and didn't know the answer or the correct route to get where he needed to be.
High School math questions were answered by my Uncle, nuke engineer or his son professor at Carnegie Melon, along with two BIL that were Navy Academy Grads. They all were a huge help.
Kids like the elderly need an advocate.
Education at Home is always a big plus. I had the benefit of a mother who was an actual teacher. She taught me to read and write before I went to school. I’m guessing most of it came straight from her planner.

With a December birthday, I got put into school straight into first grade.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
I would guess that "Mom" might be part of the problem. Do the outbursts happen outside of the home?
Are the parents together?

The main issue now is the parents are NOT on the same page
She is totally fine in public. Sweet and polite. Parents got divorced years ago. She probably doesn't even remember them living together. This is his 2nd wife but he now has a 3rd divorce under his belt. All 3 women were nutjobs. #1 left him and their two toddlers because she wanted her freedom. #2 is 20 years younger than him