Favorite inspirational movie

donbarzini

And the pain Pacino evokes when his daughter is shot, the ABJECT, total, complete, collapse he emotes, the utter failure of all systems of this incredibly strong man and all his burdens and all his efforts and works, all that time, pain, viciousness, ALL of it was for NOTHING, his entire point of being explodes out of him as her life drips away.

Incredible scene. Incredible.

I agree with all except Sofia. Garcia, Shire, Wallach, Pacino. All phenomenal. But I wanted to drive a railroad spike through my temple whenever she opened her mouth.

Hessian

We were Soldiers
Gettysburg (killer Angels)
Rough Riders
Glory

Yes, all war flicks,...yes, each carries multiple messages.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I agree with all except Sofia. Garcia, Shire, Wallach, Pacino. All phenomenal. But I wanted to drive a railroad spike through my temple whenever she opened her mouth.

:lol:

Try and think of the movie as 100% real and she just happens to be one of those people you meet and know in real life who are just...really odd. Then, back that into the movie and see if you can accept her performance in that context. That's honestly how she comes off to me; just odd. I find that far easier to accept and not be bothered by rather than someone who is over acting by leaps and bounds.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Try and think of the movie as 100% real and she just happens to be one of those people you meet and know in real life who are just...really odd.

I find that if you assume Mary is mentally retarded, Sofia's performance becomes brilliant. Right up there with Leonardo DiCaprio in Gilbert Grape.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I find that if you assume Mary is mentally retarded, Sofia's performance becomes brilliant. Right up there with Leonardo DiCaprio in Gilbert Grape.

I was trying to avoid being so blunt about it but, that was my point. I just view her as the spoiled, insulated, isolated child of the biggest mafia Don in the world. To me, it follows, perfectly, with how comically base Vito and Sonny and Fedo could be and, frankly, how dumb Fredo could be.

I get the criticisms but, every time I watch it, she's just easy to accept based on the other two movies. "Don't mind her. She's just a little slow." I think it's perfect for the movie.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I always wonder why Francis Ford Coppola is so widely revered as a director. He can't get a performance out of his actors to save his life. His movies are typically great - Patton, The Godfather I/II, Apocalypse Now...and let's not forget the masterpiece that is The Outsiders. But even in The Great Gatsby, he took a classic novel, employed stellar actors, and made it absurd. The dialog delivery in his movies is the worst EVER. EVER!!!!

donbarzini

That's IT!! That sound you hear is a nail being hit squarely on the head. I felt so sorry for Andy Garcia in that movie. He was acting his ASS off, and here comes the director's daughter. The chemistry between them was like watching Ben Stein as the science teacher in "The Wonder Years".

Larry Gude

Strung Out
That's IT!! That sound you hear is a nail being hit squarely on the head. I felt so sorry for Andy Garcia in that movie. He was acting his ASS off, and here comes the director's daughter. The chemistry between them was like watching Ben Stein as the science teacher in "The Wonder Years".

See, I just get it different. Andy, to me, evoked that he was falling in love with his cousin and new, as a modern guy, those days were gone and it was wrong but, damn was he attracted! So, what I get from it is him struggling with it, thus the awkwardness, and, ultimately, he chose power over 'true' love and the whole time she's being the naive, dumb, mildly retarded kid who has the body and desires of a woman.

Maybe I'm seeing what I want to see but, again, referencing back to the other two movies, slow Fredo, neanderthal moments by Vito and Sonny, that thing the Soprano's so well captured, the faux intellectualism of brutes, even Micheal and his presumptions towards Kay and the miscarriage, hitting her when the truth assaults his base assumptions of right and wrong from the reactions of the man at the head of a criminal, murderous enterprise.

:shrug:

mamatutu

mama to two
The Pursuit of Happyness with Will Smith. Based on a true story. The son in the story is, actually, Will's son, Jaden.

warneckutz

Pain & Gain

Terminator

Terminator 2

Running Man

Twins

True Lies

Predator

Kindergarten Cop

Commando

Die Hard movies

Scorpion King