FDR Boulevard Extension Set To Open

BernieP

Resident PIA
Given the number of crimes solved by this tactic, I think the police are choosing something that has tangible benefits to the community. If they have a legitimate - albeit minor - reason to pull you over, they're well within their rights to do so, and very often it results in catching someone doing something much worse. Maybe it's annoying to get pulled over for something minor, but I consider it far more annoying to deal with all the petty crime we suffer, and the police using a fruitful tactic to cut down on that stuff is just fine by me.

So if you don't want to get pulled over, obey the law including all the particulars for vehicle condition.

Just how much real crime do you think gets solved by pulling vehicles over? I'm all for law and order, but we also have a constitution that is supposed to protect us from a police state.
Using the motor vehicle code as a sheild to bypass unlawful searches is questionable. Again, how much real crime is solved? Running a plate and finding out there is a problem with either the potential driver or vehicle, then stopping them - ok.
But to just pull a vehicle over because the license plate lights are "dim" - which happens with dirt and decay of the bulb - is lame.
Particularly when the all the lights were working properly, no damage to the vehicle visible,. I suspect he was just checking, sort of like DUI checkpoints.
Again, I don't want drunk drivers on the road. But when you see the statistics on the arrests at these checkpoints, it's not so much DUI, it's failure to appear, child support, etc.
If that is a good toll for law enforcement why not a toll plaza where you pay to have your vehicle and person searched?
Not only do we have the LE aspect, but it helps defray the cost.

BTW, technically the DUI checkpoints have to leave an "opt out exit", but if you take that exit, they will chase you down.
Watched that the other night at the base of the bridge, someone decided to take the right turn into the development and a patrol car went after them.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Before you roast me, I'm a conservative that believes in the Contitution of the United States of American and the Amendments there of.
I'm not the ACLU, I don't pick and choose the cause, I believe in the entire bill of rights. I recently saw a speach by Chief Justice Kennedy and it reinforced my love of the document. It's the one thing that binds us all. It's not a symbol, it's the foundation for our government and the laws of the land. It's no more irrelevant today than when it was written.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Someone I know was recently pulled over. He only rolled the window down a couple of inches to pass his information through. He wasn't ticketed for any infractions, but was for being disrespectful. So I heard...

glhs837

Power with Control
Bernie, they will tell you that they are not using the code to shield unlawful search, but rather using the code to allow them to look for evidence that allows them to conduct further legal searches, ones that are legal based on reasonable suspicion that other crimes have been committed. And "crimes solved" is perhaps a bit of bad wording. Criminals caught might be better. Catching folks out on warrants doesn't "solve" crimes. Finding a crack pipe doesnt "solve" a crime. But getting that crackhead out from behind the wheel is a good thing.

I have a thing where I really wish that more enforcement was done to enhance traffic safety, I really do. But I also understand why they do it the way they do it. I don't always like it, but I do understand the logic behind it. and what the courts do with the people they catch isn't their fault.

awpitt

Main Streeter
Before you roast me, I'm a conservative that believes in the Contitution of the United States of American and the Amendments there of.
I'm not the ACLU, I don't pick and choose the cause, I believe in the entire bill of rights. I recently saw a speach by Chief Justice Kennedy and it reinforced my love of the document. It's the one thing that binds us all. It's not a symbol, it's the foundation for our government and the laws of the land. It's no more irrelevant today than when it was written.

Who's Chief Justice Kennedy?

Grumpy

Just how much real crime do you think gets solved by pulling vehicles over? I'm all for law and order, but we also have a constitution that is supposed to protect us from a police state.
Using the motor vehicle code as a sheild to bypass unlawful searches is questionable. Again, how much real crime is solved? Running a plate and finding out there is a problem with either the potential driver or vehicle, then stopping them - ok.
But to just pull a vehicle over because the license plate lights are "dim" - which happens with dirt and decay of the bulb - is lame.
Particularly when the all the lights were working properly, no damage to the vehicle visible,. I suspect he was just checking, sort of like DUI checkpoints.
Again, I don't want drunk drivers on the road. But when you see the statistics on the arrests at these checkpoints, it's not so much DUI, it's failure to appear, child support, etc.
If that is a good toll for law enforcement why not a toll plaza where you pay to have your vehicle and person searched?
Not only do we have the LE aspect, but it helps defray the cost.

BTW, technically the DUI checkpoints have to leave an "opt out exit", but if you take that exit, they will chase you down.
Watched that the other night at the base of the bridge, someone decided to take the right turn into the development and a patrol car went after them.

:yay:

BernieP

Resident PIA
Who's Chief Justice Kennedy?

Roberts
my bad, John Roberts. Watched him on that commie network, PBS, giving a speach and then answering questions at a law school.
Very impressed. Articulate, yet sort of humble, unassuming guy.
He was asked baout seperating his personal beliefs from the law. Case cited was flag buring.
He believes it's distasteful, disrepectful, but that at the end of the day, the flag is a symbol and if you want to burn it, it's a method of free speech.
The constitution is what binds us as Americans (US). Regardless of our ethinic origins, race, religion, gender, etc. The constitution is the same.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Someone I know was recently pulled over. He only rolled the window down a couple of inches to pass his information through. He wasn't ticketed for any infractions, but was for being disrespectful. So I heard...

Another way of getting arrested is to not pull over immediately. the LE community has warned people, particularly women, that you should pull over in a well lit area.
I know people who did that and it pissed off the officer. In one case there was no reason given for the stop and no 'probable cause" stated but they did ask to search the car.
I think two things threw the officer off, the attire of the driver made it look like a possible good candidate for finding weed in the car, turned out she wasn't and the time of day.
The driver also knew her rights, as she was technically part of the LE community and refused the request. She was rather pissed at the lecture she got because she drove to the parking lot (lit) and didn't stop on the unlit road.

glhs837

Power with Control
Another way of getting arrested is to not pull over immediately. the LE community has warned people, particularly women, that you should pull over in a well lit area.
I know people who did that and it pissed off the officer. In one case there was no reason given for the stop and no 'probable cause" stated but they did ask to search the car.
I think two things threw the officer off, the attire of the driver made it look like a possible good candidate for finding weed in the car, turned out she wasn't and the time of day.
The driver also knew her rights, as she was technically part of the LE community and refused the request. She was rather pissed at the lecture she got because she drove to the parking lot (lit) and didn't stop on the unlit road.

Thats far more prevalent on anonymous FB posts than from real police. For the reason you state, people can and have been arrested for that.

Goldenhawk

That's far more prevalent on anonymous FB posts than from real police. For the reason you state, people can and have been arrested for that.

Maybe so, but here's a bit from the Maryland State Police FAQ page:
https://pilot-mdsp.maryland.gov/Pages/FAQs.aspx

Can a Trooper stop me if he is driving an unmarked car?

Yes. Police vehicles must activate a siren to be an emergency vehicle and may or may not display red or blue lights. Most unmarked Maryland State Police vehicles display at least one blue flashing light. If you feel uncomfortable pulling over, acknowledge to the vehicle that you are aware that they are trying to pull you over by waving and slow down. Drive to a well lit area where people are. If you have a cell phone dial #77 and this will connect you with the nearest Maryland State Police barrack. Advise the dispatcher that you are uncomfortable with the situation and the dispatcher will assist you.​

Thus, at least for an unmarked car, you CAN proceed to a safer area - but you'd better not look like you're doing anything sketchy while doing so. I'd personally put on my flashers. And note that if you pull out your phone to make a call, you can get cited for doing that if it was not hands-free...

Goldenhawk

Particularly when the all the lights were working properly, no damage to the vehicle visible.
Honest, Bernie, I get it - I'm as much a libertarian / conservative / Constitutionalist as you can find. But lame or not, it is a valid reason. As I said, if you don't strictly follow the law, they have the right to make a stop. The responsibility is on us to strictly follow the law, or be subject to lame, annoying, but legal stops. If you're not doing anything worse, you'll be on your way fairly quickly, probably with nothing worse than a warning. But the crackheads and drug runners and other criminals usually talk themselves into a trip to the slammer.

littlelady

God bless the USA
Honest, Bernie, I get it - I'm as much a libertarian / conservative / Constitutionalist as you can find. But lame or not, it is a valid reason. As I said, if you don't strictly follow the law, they have the right to make a stop. The responsibility is on us to strictly follow the law, or be subject to lame, annoying, but legal stops. If you're not doing anything worse, you'll be on your way fairly quickly, probably with nothing worse than a warning. But the crackheads and drug runners and other criminals usually talk themselves into a trip to the slammer.

Exactly. Yes, it is an aggravation to be pulled over, but I would rather have the vigilance, than not. If you have nothing to hide, so what? I have been pulled over a few times, but never have gotten a ticket in my soon to be 64 years on earth. I plan to keep it that way, and that is going to be my epitaph. :lol:

glhs837

Power with Control
Maybe so, but here's a bit from the Maryland State Police FAQ page:
https://pilot-mdsp.maryland.gov/Pages/FAQs.aspx

Thus, at least for an unmarked car, you CAN proceed to a safer area - but you'd better not look like you're doing anything sketchy while doing so. I'd personally put on my flashers. And note that if you pull out your phone to make a call, you can get cited for doing that if it was not hands-free...

Thats State, not local. And assuming every place is going to be okay with that could be a bad thing. A lot of officers say that since the odds of being the victim of a "wacker" are pretty low, they want your immediate compliance.

Exactly. Yes, it is an aggravation to be pulled over, but I would rather have the vigilance, than not. If you have nothing to hide, so what? I have been pulled over a few times, but never have gotten a ticket in my soon to be 64 years on earth. I plan to keep it that way, and that is going to be my epitaph. :lol:

LL, that line of argument is bullsh%^. Doesnt matter if I have anything to hide or not, my Creator/God given rights to move about as I please without interference from the agents of the government are just that Creator/God given, not govt granted. That line of argument works fine for the Stasi and the KGB, but damn well not here.

PeoplesElbow

Thats State, not local. And assuming every place is going to be okay with that could be a bad thing. A lot of officers say that since the odds of being the victim of a "wacker" are pretty low, they want your immediate compliance.

LL, that line of argument is bullsh%^. Doesnt matter if I have anything to hide or not, my Creator/God given rights to move about as I please without interference from the agents of the government are just that Creator/God given, not govt granted. That line of argument works fine for the Stasi and the KGB, but damn well not here.

The same exact thing can be said about police, yet when they get investigated or questioned they get all butthurt and pissy.

https://me.me/i/poucethe-policea-whatsthe-purpose-im-writing-youa-ticket-for-a-18898693

littlelady

God bless the USA

Whoa! Yikes! We disagree. You made me think of the song...What’s It All About, Alfie? Thanks for the reply. :smile:

https://www.lyricsfreak.com/b/burt+bacharach/alfie_20025979.html

And, the blue line is thin, but I side with cops. And, I know from your posts that you are a great guy, but I would rather have vigilant cops, than not.

Last edited: