FiOS coming to La Plata !

bfncbs1

Can you ping me now? Good
Xaquin44 said:
OP, where are you getting this information?

can you link it?

Im sitting in dentsville (3 miles from where comcast ends on rt. 6) and would beg borrow and steal for internet that is not craptacular 28.8

Where at in Dentsville? I'm off Trinity Church near Dubois Rd. We are getting DSL this summer. Curious if your fed from the same feed as me.

vanbells

Pookieboo!!!
bfncbs1 said:
True....DSL has limitations based on distance. Most areas have cable in La Plata.

Franchise agreement dictates cable. But most of La Plata is covered.

I wish I was part of that most part. Oh well.

rdkarob

vanbells said:
I wish I was part of that most part. Oh well.

I am sure it will not come West of LaPlata, probably to Port Tobacco, but that is it. there isn't even DSL past that point.

Xaquin44

bfncbs1 said:
Where at in Dentsville? I'm off Trinity Church near Dubois Rd. We are getting DSL this summer. Curious if your fed from the same feed as me.

I'm two houses before Cookseys (heck I can't remember how to spell it lol) if you're driving away from LaPlata proper. So we're probably off the same feed.

I'm about 4 miles from where Comcast stops (Bel Alton Newton road)

how would we get DSL? we're not close enough to the wire center (next to Ledo's Pizza).

where are you getting this info?

If your info is correct I will cry from joy. 28.8 kills me a little more inside every time I try and mod part of my forums.

bfncbs1

Xaquin44 said:
I'm two houses before Cookseys (heck I can't remember how to spell it lol) if you're driving away from LaPlata proper. So we're probably off the same feed.

I'm about 4 miles from where Comcast stops (Bel Alton Newton road)

how would we get DSL? we're not close enough to the wire center (next to Ledo's Pizza).

where are you getting this info?

If your info is correct I will cry from joy. 28.8 kills me a little more inside every time I try and mod part of my forums.

I'm a manager with Verizon :howdy:

We use existing RT's and add what is called a adtran to the remote terminals. This is how we reach more remote areas or areas that have a large population but aren't close to a central office.

Let me clarify on the FiOS offering. When I say La Plata I mean La Plata. Other towns and cities such as Nanjemoy, Port Tobacco, Welcome are not targeted for FiOS.....Only La Plata sorry :jameo:

Back to your feed ....You are more then likely fed from Penns Hill Rd which would pretty much be a no go for DSL. Have you looked into EVDO? I have that now and it's great. The price is high but I would have to say quality of the service in wonderful. I average about 1.5m down and about 500K up which is better then the lowest DSL tier. DSl isgood obviously because o the price.

Xaquin44

ahh EVDO is useless for gaming because of the cap =/

my mother was a manager for verizon too hehe she used to work out of the LaPlata branch a long time ago

about FIOS .... I'm in dentsville, but I have a LaPlata address .... any idea how far up Rt 6 FIOS will be going?

vanbells

Pookieboo!!!
bfncbs1 said:

We use existing RT's and add what is called a adtran to the remote terminals. This is how we reach more remote areas or areas that have a large population but aren't close to a central office.

Let me clarify on the FiOS offering. When I say La Plata I mean La Plata. Other towns and cities such as Nanjemoy, Port Tobacco, Welcome are not targeted for FiOS.....Only La Plata sorry :jameo:

Back to your feed ....You are more then likely fed from Penns Hill Rd which would pretty much be a no go for DSL. Have you looked into EVDO? I have that now and it's great. The price is high but I would have to say quality of the service in wonderful. I average about 1.5m down and about 500K up which is better then the lowest DSL tier. DSl isgood obviously because o the price.

How about Englewood Drive?

forestal

I'm the Boss of Me
So what is Verizon's strategy for deploying FIOS? Is it the low hanging fruit first (condos, townhouses, densly populated areas), and the rest later? I tell you, I'm eager to drop Comcast for access to full digital television, not the pseudo-digital package that Comcast tries to portray as being 100% digital. Most of the channels still get to my residence in their analog format. bleh!

bfncbs1 said:

AndyMarquisLIVE

forestal said:
So what is Verizon's strategy for deploying FIOS? Is it the low hanging fruit first (condos, townhouses, densly populated areas), and the rest later? I tell you, I'm eager to drop Comcast for access to full digital television, not the pseudo-digital package that Comcast tries to portray as being 100% digital. Most of the channels still get to my residence in their analog format. bleh!
:bs:

Hi dummy :howdy:

I have Comcast and most of the feeds are digital. The only analog feeds are those of the networks that choose to broadcast in analog.

Draco69

So are you saying that this article is false http://www.somdnews.com/stories/02232007/entetop93836_32191.shtml

Says that FIOS will be avaiable through out the entire St Marys County by end of summer.

I have been living with dial up in Chaptico for ever now. Would love to get highspeed. DSL stops .6 miles from my house. I have been talking with verizon and putting my name and number on that dam LIST for 5 years now. They keep telling me i will get an email when DSL or FIOS is avaiable in my area. Why dont they say "you live in the country and will never get it "

willie

Draco69 said:
So are you saying that this article is false http://www.somdnews.com/stories/02232007/entetop93836_32191.shtml

Says that FIOS will be avaiable through out the entire St Marys County by end of summer.

I have been living with dial up in Chaptico for ever now. Would love to get highspeed. DSL stops .6 miles from my house. I have been talking with verizon and putting my name and number on that dam LIST for 5 years now. They keep telling me i will get an email when DSL or FIOS is avaiable in my area. Why dont they say "you live in the country and will never get it "
Who is "The Maryland Broadband Cooperative"? Do they have the power to tell Verizon what to do?

bfncbs1

willie said:
Who is "The Maryland Broadband Cooperative"? Do they have the power to tell Verizon what to do?

Nope....In the end its Verizon's choice to either lease those lines or not. It opens it up for all the mom and pop companies to come in and offer the same service

bfncbs1

Draco69 said:

Not saying it's false but it doesn't have anything to do with Verizon. Thats a MBC initiative and not a Verizon Inititiative.

Verizon will not be in St. Mary's by the end of this year. DSL expansion is also very limited anymore.

Have you looked into EVDO? I have it in Charlotte Hall and it works great I also have a friend that lives in Clements who uses it also and he is getting rev.a I would check on this if you are willing to spend $60 a month. I have to say it works great!

bfncbs1

rjnagy said:
will this include like the White Plains/Bryans Road Area at all

Unfortunately no. FiOS will only be La Plata for 2007. And at this point it will be late 2007. They are currently building out the CO in LaPlata and have yet to decide where the fiber will be going outside of immediate surrounding area of the CO(301)

rjnagy

Makes no sense

I understand what your saying. In my case it just makes no sense my subdivision is only like 10 years old. You think when it was built they would have had the foresight (I'm network engineer and figure fios has been in the works for years as I know how these things go with the think tanks and all) to put fiber in all the new subdivisions so basically all you would have to do is the run to the house.

Xaquin44

bfncbs1 said:
Unfortunately no. FiOS will only be La Plata for 2007. And at this point it will be late 2007. They are currently building out the CO in LaPlata and have yet to decide where the fiber will be going outside of immediate surrounding area of the CO(301)

tell them to hit rt. 6 up to Cooksey's Store!

tward

bfncbs1 said:

When saying La Plata, does that mean:

1. within the town limits
2. within the 20646 zip code
3. something else that I'm not thinking of.....

I am in the 20646 zip code, but at the far end of it...