FiOS coming to La Plata !

Xaquin44

willie said:
Who is "The Maryland Broadband Cooperative"? Do they have the power to tell Verizon what to do?

I think the "MBC" is a joke. leastways they haven't updated their site with anything (much less progress) in almost a year.

bcp

In My Opinion
FIOS is almost too fast.... well ok, not too fast, but its almost like being on a network at the office.

the HD tv from FIOS is much cleaner than the HD from Comcast.

Ive had FIOS for about 7 months now, and so far the only time it went out was when a tree fell across my lines in the ice storm and brought everything down. other than that? not so much as a flicker of static on the TV during electrical storms.

MY house phone is also now run through the FIOS and it has never been a cleaner connection.

Price is comparable to the Comcrap price but the service is ten times that of comcrap.

I think the better service has to do with Verizon being considered a public utility, and comcrap being a private owned business. The rules for service are a little strickter on Verizon.

They also send only one bill per month that includes the internet, the tv, the house phone and my cell phones. Big bill, but better than all being separate.

I highly recommend the Verizon service over the other choices as soon as it gets to you.

bfncbs1

Can you ping me now? Good
tward said:
When saying La Plata, does that mean:

1. within the town limits
2. within the 20646 zip code
3. something else that I'm not thinking of.....

I am in the 20646 zip code, but at the far end of it...

Starting in the immediate "town" from Crain Highway, Radio Station rd, Washington Ave, etc. Beyond that I'm still waiting to hear.

I have my assumptions as to where it will go but that would just be a assumption. I don't want to give false hope. :smile:

forestal

I'm the Boss of Me
ComCrap clown.
AndyMarquisLIVE said:
:bs:

Hi dummy :howdy:

I have Comcast and most of the feeds are digital. The only analog feeds are those of the networks that choose to broadcast in analog.

vanbells

Pookieboo!!!
bfncbs1 said:
Starting in the immediate "town" from Crain Highway, Radio Station rd, Washington Ave, etc. Beyond that I'm still waiting to hear.

I have my assumptions as to where it will go but that would just be a assumption. I don't want to give false hope. :smile:

Well, poop. Comcast is finally trenching down my street now.

Xaquin44

huh

I thought they already had cable on 488

are you on Hawkins Gate or something?

at any rate put a sign up in front of them that says "please run cable to Cookseys Store so Xaquin44 can finally check his e-mail from home"

Xaquin44

nah

I looked on their site and I'm out of their coverage for broadband

guess I'll have to wait for LaPlata to finish turning into Waldorf jr. so enough people run to Dentsville for Comcast or Verizon to get off their lazy asses and give us cable/fios

awpitt

Main Streeter
Just an FYI...

WTOP said:
PHILADELPHIA (AP) - When Henry Powderly II ordered Verizon Communications Inc.'s FiOS fiber-optic service, he knew he was about to be connected to the future of telecommunications.
He also got unplugged from its past. Which meant that while Powderly was gaining features, he was losing some telecommunications options.

http://www.wtop.com/?nid=111&sid=1183313

Xaquin44

meh like that matters

the majority of the country won't see fiber for a LONG time

30$ a month vs. 15$ a month is so minor that most people won't care. plus fiber is a million times more useful.

R

RadioPatrol

yeah America is way behind on High Speed Internet penetrating the "country" :ohwell:

yet most places in Korea you can get 30 megabit DSL .......... go figure ?

Pandora

bfncbs1 said:
I'm a manager with Verizon :howdy:

We use existing RT's and add what is called a adtran to the remote terminals. This is how we reach more remote areas or areas that have a large population but aren't close to a central office.

Let me clarify on the FiOS offering. When I say La Plata I mean La Plata. Other towns and cities such as Nanjemoy, Port Tobacco, Welcome are not targeted for FiOS.....Only La Plata sorry :jameo:

Back to your feed ....You are more then likely fed from Penns Hill Rd which would pretty much be a no go for DSL. Have you looked into EVDO? I have that now and it's great. The price is high but I would have to say quality of the service in wonderful. I average about 1.5m down and about 500K up which is better then the lowest DSL tier. DSl isgood obviously because o the price.

So what is the plan for the rest of Southern Maryland? Can you tell us where/when the next feeds will go in this area?

Does it really (honestly) speed things up if we complete the interest form?

ComputerDoctor

Everyone,

I'm still holding out hope on Fios in our area. I'm located off of Route 2 in a fairly new neighborhood. Unfortunately, Verizon says they currently have no plans for installing Fios in our area. We currently cannot even get DSL. Comcast has pretty much beat Verizon to it.

I'm not expecting Fios to come here, they almost certainly would NOT get enough business.

Chris .

Xaquin44

LaPlata (by which I mean Dentsville with a LaPlata address) will probably never see FIOS or DSL or Cable.

In fact I'd bet that most all of southern MD won't see FIOS for a LONG time.

but I could be wrong I suppose.

David

Opinions are my own...
PREMO Member
Bad news is La Plata will be the only area to benefit this year for FiOS in Southern Maryland.
I see all these official looking signs along the road that say TECHNOLOGY CORRIDOR. You mean you can't get FIOS inside the boundary of those signs? :baffled: