First Gun

ylexot

Super Genius
Also, the Remington 870 series is the most popular shotgun in the world (they produced the 10 millionth 870 a couple years ago). The Mossberg 500 is the second most popular. Both are very good choices.

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
The bf is a coon hunter so I'm sure that he'll be tagging along for that but he really wants to bring Mommy some Bambi burger. :smile:
Like Ylexot said, he'll need at least a 20 gauge shotgun. If I recall correctly, he's a little fella and shotguns kick. You may want to watch someone shoot first to make sure he can handle the kick.

sockgirl77

Like Ylexot said, he'll need at least a 20 gauge shotgun. If I recall correctly, he's a little fella and shotguns kick. You may want to watch someone shoot first to make sure he can handle the kick.

The bf's son is 12 and has been shooting for years. We're going to get the two of them together and let them shoot while we're standing there. I'm curious to see how he's going to handle the kick. I hope it doesn't knock him on his azz. But, would I be a bad Mommy if I laughed if it did?

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
The bf's son is 12 and has been shooting for years. We're going to get the two of them together and let them shoot while we're standing there. I'm curious to see how he's going to handle the kick. I hope it doesn't knock him on his azz. But, would I be a bad Mommy if I laughed if it did?
It really depends on the gun. An automatic kicks less than a pump or a single shot. A 20 gauge much less than a 12 gauge.

He'll need to hold the gun tight against his shoulder and have his feet firmly planted. I personally think 8 is a little young for shotguns.

sockgirl77

It really depends on the gun. An automatic kicks less than a pump or a single shot. A 20 gauge much less than a 12 gauge.

He'll need to hold the gun tight against his shoulder and have his feet firmly planted. I personally think 8 is a little young for shotguns.

Everyone that I've talked to says that they started their boys out at 8. You know that I'm not pushing this. I'd rather buy him a bow and let him start out with that. :ohwell:

redhead77

That would be great for Socki since she said she wanted to learn. :clap:

Nick is a great instructor and does a good job of seeing when you are doing something wrong or if you are getting frustrated and helping you fix the issue. He was very patient my first time shooting.:yay:

I agree. In any case he needs to start out small. The .22 would be great to learn correct shooting technique. Start him on a shot gun and he may have a built in flinch for a long time.

MMDad

Lem Putt
I know nothing about guns so I've been googling all of the above mentioned guns. :lol:

I like the Mossberg 500 best. Reasonably priced, and more reliable than guns costing more than twice as much.

I've seen grown men who were so surprised at the kick of a shotgun that they dropped it. Make sure that your son is prepared or he might not be willing to pull the trigger a second time.

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
I know nothing about guns so I've been googling all of the above mentioned guns. :lol:
I have a Remington 1187 semi-auto, a Mossberg 500 & a Mossberg 870. Stop by to get an idea of their size. I think you're going to be surprised at how big they are.

MMDad

Lem Putt
I have a Remington 1187 semi-auto, a Mossberg 500 & a Mossberg 870. Stop by to get an idea of their size. I think you're going to be surprised at how big they are.

I know Mossberg has youth size shotguns. I assume Remington does also. That would definitely be the way to go.

sockgirl77

I'm going to stop by a gun shop and take a look at the different sizes. I'll ask them their recommendation and go from there. I'm also going to ask about bows.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
I don't think I could have handled a shotgun when I was that young. I don't think I did until I was around 15. It knocked me on my butt and I swore my shoulder was broke and I hated my father for a month for laughing at me.