flatscreen TV price wars

Softballkid

No Longer the Kid
why would you not have HD? It's throwing money down the toilet to buy an HDTV if you are just going to run it on a normal signal..

True, but on the other hand, how many decent flat screens can you get now adays that ARENT HD... I never see ANY of them, Im sure they are out there, but it seems that TV's to hang up on the walls in all are ALL HD...

I've watched some stuff in HD before, and Im just not gung-ho enough about it to warrant paying the extra for the service and other stuff... Neither is the wifey... We dont watch enough tv to warrant more than we are already getting ripped off for.

Softballkid

No Longer the Kid
A standard resolution input wil only give you a standard resolution picture. :shrug:
I have a 42" plasma 720p and using a standard DVD looks like crap.
You'll need an up-converting DVD player, but you can pick them up for around $40.

Good deal, the DVD players I have now are on my 6 year old surround sound system, and my PS2 :lol:

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Good deal, the DVD players I have now are on my 6 year old surround sound system, and my PS2 :lol:

I think Walmart has one for $29, but you'll need a HDMI cable to hook it up.

..... you can get them at Best Buy for $29 :lol:

:gossip: or on line at NewEgg for a LOT less

Playing a non-HD source on a large format HD screen can look pretty nasty. Don't forget, it's now digital, not analog. The "smoothing" you're used to seeing by the refresh scan is now replaced with jagged, pixelated interpreted information. There are those who, if they are not going HD, prefer to stay completely analog for that reason. It just looks better and is easier on the eyes.

IF you are going to stay low def and only view DVDs on a large format HD screen, you need to get a new DVD player with an HDMI output to match the TV. Spring for a BluRay player and get BluRay disks. You won't be disappointed. A NEW non-BluRay player can upscale the non-BluRay DVDs to HDMI/HD format as best it can to eliminate as much as possible of the pixelation problems.

Two other things you can do: I use my laptop to play low def DVDs on the 47" LCD via HDMI (laptop has an HDMI port). The picture is pretty darn good.

I got a little box from Western Digital the WDTV. It connects to the LCD screen via HDMI, and to an external hard drive via USB. I put all my non-BluRay movies on the hard drive and play them that way. It's as close to HD as your going to get with non-HD DVDs.

glhs837

Power with Control
Really. Even if you dont pay for the high def cable stuff, picking up a "cheap" blu-ray player for the occasional movie is well worth it. Visually speaking, you've been eating wheat thins your whole life. Watching a Blu-Ray will be like a gourmet meal.

If you love movies, its worth the investment. You will see things you never saw before. A lot of folks think that only new stuff is in hi-def. Nope, most older stuff was shot on film that holds more inforamtion content than even 1080p can display.

Watched "The Serchers", man amazing. Even mundane stuff like the classic Star Treks, colors an such we never imagined back in the day.

daydreamer

My new (I mean hubby's new) Sony LCD is being delivered on Wednesday. Original price $2900. You wouldn't believe the steal we got it for. :faint:

Its 40" LED and 9.9mm thick. Can't wait to get it!! Picking up new sat box and HDMI cable tonight. Its going to be nice in the bedroom.

Its 40" LED and 9.9mm thick. Can't wait to get it!! Picking up new sat box and HDMI cable tonight. Its going to be nice in the bedroom.

Good Luck with it! I looked at the new LEDs, but felt they were almost "too" bright and colorful, if that's possible!. Between that and the price difference with LCD, I got the LCD.

daydreamer

Good Luck with it! I looked at the new LEDs, but felt they were almost "too" bright and colorful, if that's possible!. Between that and the price difference with LCD, I got the LCD.
Oh I love the picture. Like Chasey said the price was to hard not to buy. It was like.....is this a error? Did someone forget a number in there. :lol:

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo

True LED or LED backlit? I am intrigued by the Samsung 46" LED/LCD and I think we're going to pull the trigger on it (or something comparable) after we get this basement project done.

Is the SONY store in the mall or elsewhere?

glhs837

Power with Control
Not sure what you mean by "True LED, or LED backlit" as far as I know, all LEDs are just for lighting, the big differences are

1. Edge lit, like the one in question, which, while slim, does not allow for local dimming, or turning off those LEDs i black areas.

2. Back lit ones that allow local dimming, or ones that dont.

Best, but not slimmest, is full backlit with local dimming, followed by backlit, followed by edge lit. Difference is in how black dartk scenes appear.

Not sure what you mean by "True LED, or LED backlit" as far as I know, all LEDs are just for lighting, the big differences are

1. Edge lit, like the one in question, which, while slim, does not allow for local dimming, or turning off those LEDs i black areas.

Best, but not slimmest, is full backlit with local dimming, followed by backlit, followed by edge lit. Difference is in how black dartk scenes appear.

Samsung LED HDTV
LED Backlight HDTV Technology

soon on teh market will be the Oled technology, where the screen IS the LED.

Last edited:

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo

I was reading a review about the Samsung and it pointed out that Samsung calls its TVs "LED TV" when in fact it is backlit (I think). I can't remember where I found the article, maybe CNet. Actually the review harped on the LED backlit aspect and implied something along the lines of false advertising from Samsung. (Must've been a Sony fan.:lol:)

I guess only Sony's OLED would be considered "true LED"?$$$$$

*I am totally lost when it comes to this HD/LED/LCD/HIDEF/3.1/5.1/7.1/THX stuff. But I know what kind of picture and sound I want from my equipment, just not what equipment I need/want.

Last edited:
*I am totally lost when it comes to this HD/LED/LCD/HIDEF/3.1/5.1/7.1/THX stuff. But I know what kind of picture and sound I want from my equipment, just not what equipment I need/want.

3.1 - left right center speakers (3) with a subwoofer (.1)
5.1 - left center right front, left right rear (5) subwoofer (.1)
7.1 - same as above, add left and right speakers directly to your left and right sides
THX - copyrighted technology for sound enhancement designed specifically for theaters, but carries over to home theater.

The more speakers surrounding you, the more realistic the reproduced sound, more like really being there.