flatscreen TV price wars

SamSpade

Ok, so then if I understand correctly - these large screen TVs are ONLY HD? I can't just go out and buy a wide TV, I have to spend money to get HD channels and stuff to go with them?

If that's the case, I'll stick with my cheap ass old style TV. I haven't the money to drop everything I have for a better picture, and judging from the picture quality I've had all my life, it doesn't matter much to me.

Ok, so then if I understand correctly - these large screen TVs are ONLY HD? I can't just go out and buy a wide TV, I have to spend money to get HD channels and stuff to go with them?

The native resolution of the new sets are HD, ie 720i, 1080i, etc... but most still have legacy inputs, cable, composite, component. You can still do what you used to. However, regarding the cable input, your need to find out what your provider is able to give you. If you are on cable, there are still many channels in low def, but their days are numbered. Cable also has many HD channels as part of the basic lineup which do not cost you extra, like some local news channels, etc. To get premium channels in HD, then you get a premium package and pay extra. Eventually, your TV will go the way of the 78 rpm record and 8-tracks.

Or you can be really cheap and get a long range antenna and get HD signals over the air for free. I do that now.

Bottom line: Yes, you can get an HD set and simply replace your current set with no changes.

glhs837

Power with Control
Samsung LED HDTV
LED Backlight HDTV Technology

soon on teh market will be the Oled technology, where the screen IS the LED.

I was reading a review about the Samsung and it pointed out that Samsung calls its TVs "LED TV" when in fact it is backlit (I think). I can't remember where I found the article, maybe CNet. Actually the review harped on the LED backlit aspect and implied something along the lines of false advertising from Samsung. (Must've been a Sony fan.:lol:)

I guess only Sony's OLED would be considered "true LED"?$$$$$

*I am totally lost when it comes to this HD/LED/LCD/HIDEF/3.1/5.1/7.1/THX stuff. But I know what kind of picture and sound I want from my equipment, just not what equipment I need/want.

GW, from what I saw, those just reiterate my basic point. Kom, yes, only OLED would really be "LED TV", meaning that you see the LEDs themselves. All others, Sony, Samsung, whomever, are just using them as light sources. Now, Sony has made one that uses colored LEDs to augment the LCD panel, but that model, which cost tons, was a one year only model.

They made a Maybach class TV, then saw that Samsung made Rockefeller money selling less capable, but sexier looking thin sets. So, this fall, SOny is offering thin edge lit sets also.

OLEDs are indeed cmonig, but large (above say 32) ones that mortals can afford are at least a coupple years out.

DipStick

Keep Calm and Don't Care!
Black Friday: Big deals on flatscreen LCD, plasma TVs - Nov. 13, 2009

I agree with with what most of this article puts out, except this:

The larger the screen, the more noticeable the resolution, or lack of, becomes. You can easily see the pixelation and smearing. I shopped for a long time before finding a set I really liked. There is no way I'd buy a 720p in a large format screen. Maybe a 24", but not a 50".

Yup.

There's a reason they have all these 720's to get rid of in the first place.

Hush you two. I need all the stupid people to go out and buy up all the 720's so that the stores will discount the 1080's.

32" 720p works fine for me. I didn't need anything better so I got something cheap.

glhs837

Power with Control
And at 32 inches, 720 is fine, your not going to get visibly dirfferent results from the jump to 1080.