Frustrated

lillyst

I haven't read all of your posts, but will say that Southern MD consists of the "Good Ol' Boys Club" when it comes to Fed. Jobs (civil service)- but they aren't all boys...
Many base employees have lived in Somd their entire lives and you won't find a position until someone retires or dies...(sad to say.)
Some of the programs that aren't in the spotlight are run by somd natives...
After 3 years of looking, I took a job in DC, and I am much happier. Commuting might be a problem from St Mary's County, but I rented a commuting apt in the area. Might be worth your happiness...:cheers:

I can believe that to an extent. I've always thought that it is sometimes who you know not what you know, which for some is not a bad thing. But for others it can present a problem.

pvineswinger

Swinging on Vines
I can believe that to an extent. I've always thought that it is sometimes who you know not what you know, which for some is not a bad thing. But for others it can present a problem.

Seriously, in St Mary's County... it is absolutely WHO you know. It sucks, and might take awhile, but you'll find a position! If not, DC is great! There are plenty of spots up here!

C

czygvtwkr

I haven't read all of your posts, but will say that Southern MD consists of the "Good Ol' Boys Club" when it comes to Fed. Jobs (civil service)- but they aren't all boys...
Many base employees have lived in Somd their entire lives and you won't find a position until someone retires or dies...(sad to say.)
After 3 years of looking, I took a job in DC, and I am much happier. Commuting might be a problem from St Mary's County, but I rented a commuting apt in the area. Might be worth your happiness...:cheers:

You have to have a useful skill. PAX is a flight test base so a very large number of its employees are engineers and SOMD doesn't put out too many of those.

pvineswinger

Swinging on Vines
You have to have a useful skill. PAX is a flight test base so a very large number of its employees are engineers and SOMD doesn't put out too many of those.
Pax is also a huge logistics base, and also has maintenance programs, and I know one program in particular that DOES not require an engineering degree, but is run by "the good ol' boys..." and not run well...

theArtistFormerlyKnownAs

Pax is also a huge logistics base, and also has maintenance programs, and I know one program in particular that DOES not require an engineering degree, but is run by "the good ol' boys..." and not run well...

wth are you talking about?
Do you work on PAX? I can think of very few somd natives, off hand, who work in any viscinity to me. I'm not saying they don't exist, but you're blowing it way out of proportion. A lot of employees here are transplants :shrug:

T

toppick08

I got some wire grass he can pull, until the job market clears..:shrug:

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
Seriously, in St Mary's County... it is absolutely WHO you know. It sucks, and might take awhile, but you'll find a position! If not, DC is great! There are plenty of spots up here!
You know, at one point in time I would have totally believed that statement. But in the past twenty years, and especially within the past 10 years (since NAVAIR migrated down here from Crystal City), I think the tides have changed. There are more people here overseeing programs and being leaders in their field who are NOT native to St. Mary's County. Not to say that some natives aren't in positions to hire/fire people, but I don't think it is an rampant as you believe it to be.

I've worked on the base since 1983, and in that timeframe, have only had one government customer who was from here (7th District); all others have been from outside the SoMD area.

I got my first job not knowing anyone in the company. Fortunately, I have been able to help friends of mine get jobs in the area, but it wasn't "me" that got them the jobs, but rather their skill-set, their professional backgrounds, and their talents that got them the job. I merely indicated to them that a job opportunity existed, and it was up to them to apply and interview for the jobs. They earned themselves the job.

pvineswinger

Swinging on Vines
wth are you talking about?
Do you work on PAX? I can think of very few somd natives, off hand, who work in any viscinity to me. I'm not saying they don't exist, but you're blowing it way out of proportion. A lot of employees here are transplants :shrug:
Pax is a big base- the people that work with you may be from out of the area, but take a look at the DECKPLATE program or even take a gander at 80% of the employees at Webster Field...:howdy:

pvineswinger

Swinging on Vines
You know, at one point in time I would have totally believed that statement. But in the past twenty years, and especially within the past 10 years (since NAVAIR migrated down here from Crystal City), I think the tides have changed. There are more people here overseeing programs and being leaders in their field who are NOT native to St. Mary's County. Not to say that some natives aren't in positions to hire/fire people, but I don't think it is an rampant as you believe it to be.

I've worked on the base since 1983, and in that timeframe, have only had one government customer who was from here (7th District); all others have been from outside the SoMD area.

I got my first job not knowing anyone in the company. Fortunately, I have been able to help friends of mine get jobs in the area, but it wasn't "me" that got them the jobs, but rather their skill-set, their professional backgrounds, and their talents that got them the job. I merely indicated to them that a job opportunity existed, and it was up to them to apply and interview for the jobs. They earned themselves the job.
I really hope that's the case, but I felt that leaving and moving on to an area where my skill set was more appreciated than my social circle or relatives would be a good career move for me.
The only people that I know of that are hired that aren't locals are engineers or have a VERY significant technical background. And these aren't the people that typically run programs...

itsbob

I bowl overhand
No- not at all; I think St Mary's County is absolutely beautiful, but couldn't stand the good ol' boys club- so I left. I'm cool with it!
Apparently you've assimilated.:howdy:

Let me see, I work at Webster Field. Since I've been here (5 years) all the new hires have been out of towners. I work for someone from Waaaaaay out of town.

Nobody that works with me or for me is local (minus one or two). None of the technicians, none of the Engineers I work with are from here, they've all been recruited from elsewhere.

Yeah there are locals that work here, as it should be. There are locals that work here that are much more senior than I am.. as it should be, they've all worked here 20 - 30 years to my 5, but there are also transplants that are high up in the food chain way over my head.. I haven't met ANYbody from the Good ol boys network.. or if I have they have held nothing against me.

dn0121

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows CE; PPC; 240x320))

liberals sheesh

pvineswinger

Swinging on Vines
Let me see, I work at Webster Field. Since I've been here (5 years) all the new hires have been out of towners. I work for someone from Waaaaaay out of town.

Nobody that works with me or for me is local (minus one or two). None of the technicians, none of the Engineers I work with are from here, they've all been recruited from elsewhere.
Yeah there are locals that work here, as it should be. There are locals that work here that are much more senior than I am.. as it should be, they've all worked here 20 - 30 years to my 5, but there are also transplants that are high up in the food chain way over my head.. I haven't met ANYbody from the Good ol boys network.. or if I have they have held nothing against me.

Did you read my post to BadGirl? I rest my case.
And you confirmed that you have, in fact, assimilated. Way to go!
You said yourself the senior people are locals, and that's where the good old boys club comes in... look who's running things- not the people that have been hired from outside and have only been around for 5 years! Just because someone has only been in Somd for 5 years, doesn't mean they don't have experience to run a program. I don't understand why that's "as it should be."
Most likely the outside hires won't get promoted, they'll stagnate and then they'll go somewhere else...it's a vicious circle. Somd is more of a stepping stone, for outsiders than an end-state; unless you are content, lack ambition, or place more importance on raising your family than work (which ISN'T A BAD THING <- to ward off the "family folk" anger.)

Last edited: