Gave Wal-Mart a chance

sm8

I did not see you specify but by the wait I am guessing it was the one in California. They are always terribly slow. I highly recommend LaPlata Wal-mart for oil changes, Not much else but the are on top of things in the oil change department. I dropped my van off, made a pit stop by the bathroom and had just entered the baby section when they called my name. I went over thinking something was wrong (being used to California I expected to be there an hour or two). It was ready to be picked up, they had even vacuumed it :0)

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Why would anyone who turns wenches on their own car let that car out of their sight to allow a stranger to work on it? It's not just an oil change. It's an opportunity for an owner, while under the vehicle, to do a cursory visual check of everything under the front end. ie. tie rods, ball joints, any possible leakage from other areas of the engine and transmission. Also, examination of the old oil for differences from past oil changes... burnt odor, metal shavings, etc. I stop by and get filters and oil on my way home from wherever, you know, like combining trips. Plus you know the job is done right. You can only go by their word of what product they used anyway. And did you know that the oil filter is the weak link in causing engine damage? I always used the "Ultra" version of filters. Yes they are more expensive, but so is replacing an engine. Spend $2 on an oil filter, and get an oil filter in name only. And.... if you are paying $20 for an oil change you are getting crap for oil and a crap filter. There is a profit margin in those oil changes people. Do it yourself and know it is getting done right.

:bs: SAE standards take care of this falsehood.

Most of my vehicles aren't retired until sometime after the 200K marker. Some were close to 300K.

PeoplesElbow

:bs: SAE standards take care of this falsehood.

Most of my vehicles aren't retired until sometime after the 200K marker. Some were close to 300K.
:yeahthat:

I can't think of the last time I ever heard of someones engine going out, except when caused by something like a cooling system failure. The engine is probably the most reliable part of the modern car.

mamatutu

mama to two

I can't think of the last time I ever heard of someones engine going out, except when caused by something like a cooling system failure. The engine is probably the most reliable part of the modern car.

That's the truth. When my 2003 Toyota 4-runner had its 100,000 mile check up 3 months ago, my mechanic said the engine is great, and the body will give out before the engine gives out. He could see deterioration on the under belly, and I have noticed my wheel hubs starting to rust in the last year or so. I keep my car washed and clean. I guess even the winter salt around here does its damage.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Why would anyone who turns wenches on their own car let that car out of their sight to allow a stranger to work on it? It's not just an oil change. It's an opportunity for an owner, while under the vehicle, to do a cursory visual check of everything under the front end. ie. tie rods, ball joints, any possible leakage from other areas of the engine and transmission. Also, examination of the old oil for differences from past oil changes... burnt odor, metal shavings, etc. I stop by and get filters and oil on my way home from wherever, you know, like combining trips. Plus you know the job is done right. You can only go by their word of what product they used anyway. And did you know that the oil filter is the weak link in causing engine damage? I always used the "Ultra" version of filters. Yes they are more expensive, but so is replacing an engine. Spend $2 on an oil filter, and get an oil filter in name only. And.... if you are paying $20 for an oil change you are getting crap for oil and a crap filter. There is a profit margin in those oil changes people. Do it yourself and know it is getting done right.

You do your own lobotomy too?

After doing the math, it doesn't make sense anymore to do car services myself... repairs yes, services no.

Midnightrider

You do your own lobotomy too?

After doing the math, it doesn't make sense anymore to do car services myself... repairs yes, services no.

I don't always pay someone else to change my oil, but when I do I use Valvoline. Their 'drive through' service truly is. You never leave the vehicle and it has never taken more than 15 minutes. They do tire rotation and other light maintenance as well. The only downside is they try to sell you a bunch of preventative stuff you don't need. I use synthetic so its a bit pricey, but really only about 20-30% more than when I do it myself. Well worth it.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Takes about 20 minutes to change oil yourself. Who in their right mind pays someone else to change their oil? Then COMPLAINS about how long it takes ON A SATURDAY?????

People who want to keep others in their community employed. Pretty selfish to do it yourself when it's such a small, affordable thing that guarantees someone has an honest income. Changing your own oil is for the unemployed.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
I grab a coupon out of the "valu-pak" junk mail and get mine done at Laser Lube for $20. The filter location on the Miata (between engine and firewall) is a total PITA to reach without a lift.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
I grab a coupon out of the "valu-pak" junk mail and get mine done at Laser Lube for $20. The filter location on the Miata (between engine and firewall) is a total PITA to reach without a lift.

the one on my Saturn, sticks out the side of the block .... so you always spill oil down the block, onto the running gear

Homer J

Power Chord

Had a 1996 Dodge Intrepid with about 90ish thousand miles. Always had regular service. The oil pressure started falling off pretty regularly. Had it checked out and found the bearings were badly worn. Had Hewitts drop in a Jasper reman engine. Ran like new after that. Of course, six months later I hit a deer and the insurance company totaled the car. I think they allowed an exra $200 for the engine. Thanks.:sarcasm: If I would have had a place to do it, I would have bought it back for salvage and parted it out. Nope.

Oh, and I do all my oil changes. I didn't have time to do my sons truck once so I told him to take it to Precision Tune. The next time we went to change it, the drain plug was cranked in so tight I stripped the head trying to get it out. Won't be doing that again.

General Lee

Couldn't agree more. No body changes the oil in my vehicles except me.

SoMDGirl42

Came to Wal Mart and gave them a chance to earn my business.. their synthetic oil change is about 1/2 of Jiffy Lube, so figured worth the shot.. asked them for the oil change/service and rotate and balance tires..

Two hours (or is it three?) I'm still sitting here.

More then worth the money to use Jiffy Lube and get 3 hours of my life back.

I'm due for an oil change and tire rotation on my truck. Other than the time, was the service good? I need the synthetic oil as well. Last time it was close to $90 for that and tire rotation. If the price is 1/2, I'd be willing to shop around for 3 hours if they good the job properly. I'm not about to change the oil and rotate the tires myself :diva: