Ghosts...

jetmonkey

Cry Baby Creek is all over the United States.
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Jack Creek, a stream west of Lufkin, has for years been known as Cry Baby Creek, supposedly because a women and a baby died when their auto veered off a wooden bridge and fell into the steep creek. Annette Sawyer of Lufkin, who directed us to the bridge, said visitors who come to the site at night claim they have heard sounds resembling a baby crying. One visitor supposedly found the imprint of a baby’s hand on her auto window after returning from the bridge.

[/FONT]Cry Baby Bridge

07.22.2005 | 10:11 pm | Alabama, Saraland, United States
Under this bridge, many years ago, a small baby drowned. It is said that the cries of the baby may be heard at times, and if baby powder is sprinkled on the bridge, footprints of a small child may be seen.

"Crybaby Bridge" is by far the most widespread urban legend in Ohio, easily beating out the "Bloody Marys" and "Witches' Graves." Near as we can tell, there are no less than 24crybaby bridges in Ohio. With some variations, most crybaby bridge legends have this in common: Park your car over (or under) the bridge, and you will soon hear the sounds of a person crying.
For the most part, the person crying is a baby. Other times, the sobs are said to come from the baby's mother. For a few bridges, there is more than one baby crying (as in the case of Gore Orphanage). For others, the baby doesn't just cry, but screams. And if you're really lucky, you will leave a bridge with a special souvenir--a child's footprints (Helltown) or handprints on your car. That is assuming that you can even leave, as several crybaby legends hold that once you park your car, you will not be able to restart it.

The Crybaby Bridge Phenomenon As Internet Hoax: One Case In Point In Maryland
A clear case can be made for the existence of at least one Crybaby Bridge story as being due to a selective, and almost overnight “seeding” of the Shadowlands Ghost Website in 1999. As Jesse Glass, author of Ghosts and Legends of Carroll County Maryland (Carroll County Public Library, 1982, 199
icon_cool.gif
and The Witness; Slavery in Nineteenth Century Carroll County, Maryland (Carroll County Historical Society and Meikai University Press) presents it, the “Crybaby Bridge” said to exist near Westminster, Carroll County, Maryland allegedly because of the hanging of runaway slaves, and the infanticide of African American babies there by the Ku Klux Klan, is a hoax because of these points:

1) The almost overnight appearance of “Crybaby Bridges” in Maryland and Ohio, which indicates seeding of selected Internet websites devoted to ghosts and the paranormal. One of the most popular websites in the late 1990’s was the Shadowlands listing of hauntings in each state. Glass recalls noting the sudden appearance of “Crybaby Bridges” on that website and bringing them–particularly the one in Westminster–to the attention of the owner of the site. The story was almost identical in every location, with certain variations indicating a facile knowledge of the history of the area. In the case of Westminster, KKK activity happened in the 1970’s, and received extensive newspaper coverage, so it would not have been difficult for the hoaxer to connect the KKK to the story in Westminster.
2) The lack of any historical documentation of events remotely connected with forced infanticide and deaths of slaves at the bridge. Westminster, Maryland maintained two vital newspapers during the historical period in question,The American Sentinel and The Democratic Advocate. Both papers gave extensive coverage to local events, even the most lurid. This includes hangings, lynchings, and the deaths of African-Americans as well as the activities of the KKK and KKK-like groups during the Reconstruction period. These papers would have reported events like those the Crybaby Bridge story purports to have happened, yet there is not a single mention in any of these papers of those events.
3) The complete lack of any local oral history connected with the bridge in question before 1999. In the 1970’s Glass interviewed elderly residents of Westminster and Carroll County, Maryland to compile the stories in Ghosts and Legends of Carroll County, Maryland, and though he talked to residents who could recall stories of what happened in the area pre-dating the Civil War, not one person mentioned anything remotely connected to the bridge in question. Glass himself spent his formative years in the Westminster area and similarly heard nothing about this story until its abrupt appearance on the Internet.
4) Because of these points Glass, a Maryland folklorist and historian whose work has been recognized by the Maryland Humanities Council and the Library of Congress, concludes that the Westminster Crybaby Bridge story is the result of an Internet hoax, and by extension, suggests that other Crybaby Bridge stories that appeared at the same time as the Westminster story are most probably conscious attempts at creating regional fakelore.

rwethereyet

Yeah, okay.
Well, I was driving down a lonely road one dark and stormy night. When a little girl by the roadside showed up in my headlights. I stopped and she got in back and in a shaky tone. She said: My name is Mary, please won't you take me home?

She must have been so frightened all alone there in the night. There was something strange about her, for her face was deathly white. She sat so pale and quiet in the back seat all alone. I'll never will forget that night I took Mary home.

I pulled into the driveway where she told me to go. Got out to help her from the car and opened up the door. But I just could not believe my eyes 'cause the back seat was bare. I looked all around the car but Mary wasn't there.

A light shone from the porch, someone opened up the door. I asked about the little girl that I was looking for. Then a lady gently smiled and brushed a tear away. She said: It sure was nice of you to go out of your way.

But thirteen years ago today a wreck just down the road. Our darling Mary lost her life and we miss her so. Thank you for your trouble and the kindness you have shone. You're the thirteenth one who's been here bringing Mary home...:shocking:

Hmm - I have heard this "story" many times.

hammishsqueak

We're all mad here.
Ok, I'm a skeptic, but this freaked me out.

About five years ago when I was living at home with my parents, I was home alone. I decided to go into the basement to look for something.

I decided to sit on the couch for a minute, and as I was sitting there I thought that I saw an old man in suspenders walk past slowly. I ignored it, thinking nothing of it, and went back upstairs to take a shower. As I started thinking about the image I saw, I began to think of how the individual I saw looked like my dead (died in 1995) grandfather. He would walk a little bit hunched over and wore suspenders a lot. It didn't phase me at all at this point...I just thought it was weird.

As I was taking my shower I had this weird urge to check the mailbox. Got dressed, went outside.

Inside the mailbox was a confirmation of my grandfather's gravestone. When he died in 1995, my grandmother never bothered to get him one and wouldn't let anyone buy one for him (bless her, she was ill.) When she died, which was about half a year before I saw that in the mail, my father was given the right to finally purchase a gravestone for him and place it on his plot. Well, I didn't know any of this and it scared me to death. I called my parents immediately and they said they had been waiting a long time for the papers and were happy it was finally in. I stayed with a friend that night :lmao:

My parents shortly after had a painting hung up of my father as a child that my grandfather made (it was previously at my grandmother's house). Every night for about a year I would have dreams of that painting. I'd walk into the room and it would be upside down, in the wrong place, or different. It was really weird. I'm sure there is some sort of explanation for all this, but it is still creepy.

JessieGirl

Well, I was driving down a lonely road one dark and stormy night. When a little girl by the roadside showed up in my headlights. I stopped and she got in back and in a shaky tone. She said: My name is Mary, please won't you take me home?

She must have been so frightened all alone there in the night. There was something strange about her, for her face was deathly white. She sat so pale and quiet in the back seat all alone. I'll never will forget that night I took Mary home.

I pulled into the driveway where she told me to go. Got out to help her from the car and opened up the door. But I just could not believe my eyes 'cause the back seat was bare. I looked all around the car but Mary wasn't there.

A light shone from the porch, someone opened up the door. I asked about the little girl that I was looking for. Then a lady gently smiled and brushed a tear away. She said: It sure was nice of you to go out of your way.

But thirteen years ago today a wreck just down the road. Our darling Mary lost her life and we miss her so. Thank you for your trouble and the kindness you have shone. You're the thirteenth one who's been here bringing Mary home...:shocking:

I love that song.

Mateo

When my daughter lived over there, she took me to a place called Cry Baby Bridge. She wanted me to , let's say..."test my abilities."

Holy Crap....that place is definitely haunted by at least 2 ghosts! I pretty sure one is a woman who died a horrific death....Much pain. There was also the sound of a baby crying. I think she could tell I felt the presence, so she got a little spooked and we left.

Then she took me to a place called "something Point" where I could feel and smell "old ghosts." They seemed to be in uniforms and seemed to be fighting. I felt that they were fighting for food. :shrug: Then I felt a COLD air run through me and I knew this place needed to be investigated.

The next night she took me to Port Tobacco....but the only thing I felt there was a dog. I remember it was a BIG dog, too.

That had to be the Confederate POW camp at Point Lookout.

Cowgirl

About five years ago when I was living at home with my parents, I was home alone. I decided to go into the basement to look for something.

I decided to sit on the couch for a minute, and as I was sitting there I thought that I saw an old man in suspenders walk past slowly. I ignored it, thinking nothing of it, and went back upstairs to take a shower.

I do believe that if I was home alone and saw someone else in the house, I'd freak out just a little bit.

rich70

STEELERS NATION!!
I guess I was about 18 (maybe 17) driving home. It was going on midnight and it was one of those nights where it looked like it could start snowing at any moment. The road I was on (Bumpy Oak Rd.) had a flat section before a large hill going up. There was a bridge followed by an old abandoned railroad crossing. I was driving along listening to the Violent Femmes when I started over the bridge.

All of a sudden a woman darted in front of my car.

I can remember every detail about her. She had dark hair and light blue eyes. and red lips. A black unbuttoned peacoat with a sort of high coller. I know I hit her, but there was no impact.

I saw a look of deathly fear in her face which appeared way too close to my windshield.

I slammed on my breaks and just shook there on the shoulder. Finaly I got out of my car, but there was nothing there. No woman, no dent in my car. nothing to indicate anything ever happened.

It was the weirdest thing thats ever happened to me.

edit: though I don't really believe in ghosts or anything, I don't have a ready reason.

That is just plain creppy. I think I would have crapped in my pants.

kgalloway

It's really interesting. Especially spooky is the hospitol in P.G. County that is now empty.

i have heard alot about the old closed down hospital in PG, but most have said that there is nothing to it, i have read alot of factual history on it and there wasn't anything really disturbing that went on there. most of it is just made up from one person to another. now i am not saying that there isn't anything there, or that it isn't a scary place. i just think that the mind can play alot of tricks on people when they are scared. i have never seen any hard evidence of stuff there. same goes to alot of stories i hear about ghosts in southern maryland. that is why i want to try and get some real evidence.

rich70

STEELERS NATION!!
The next night she took me to Port Tobacco....but the only thing I felt there was a dog. I remember it was a BIG dog, too.
That sounds like the story of the "Blue Dog". It was at Rose Hill house, but that is close to Port Tobacco.

SShewbert

What love is all about
i have heard alot about the old closed down hospital in PG, but most have said that there is nothing to it, i have read alot of factual history on it and there wasn't anything really disturbing that went on there. most of it is just made up from one person to another. now i am not saying that there isn't anything there, or that it isn't a scary place. i just think that the mind can play alot of tricks on people when they are scared. i have never seen any hard evidence of stuff there. same goes to alot of stories i hear about ghosts in southern maryland. that is why i want to try and get some real evidence.

Well try Point Lookout then. There is evidence floating around all over the place for Point Lookout. I am fairly certain that one of the Ghost Walks they did back about 5 or so years ago ended up in the paper because they caught someone on tape that was not in the group and that no one seen until they watched the tape. I could be wrong but I believe thats what the story was.

R

remaxrealtor

I once looked at a house to list, felt really strange when I went in....R was with me and went out to wait in the car. There was one door closed upstairs, when I opened it, it was a nursery and it FREAKED me out. I had to LEAVE. Later was told that a little girl was killed in that room!

punjabigyrl

Well try Point Lookout then. There is evidence floating around all over the place for Point Lookout. I am fairly certain that one of the Ghost Walks they did back about 5 or so years ago ended up in the paper because they caught someone on tape that was not in the group and that no one seen until they watched the tape. I could be wrong but I believe thats what the story was.

Pointlookout???? Other than the ghost walk can one catch something on camera or camcorder during the year?

Last edited:

hammishsqueak

We're all mad here.
I do believe that if I was home alone and saw someone else in the house, I'd freak out just a little bit.

:lmao: Well, the thing is is that I saw something walking past and it disappeared. It shocked me at first glance, but then I just thought that my mind was playing games with me.