Good home builders in Southern Maryland

B

bhanks

No Forrest Farm info yet...the realtor who handles that area is on vacation this week. I'm supposed to give them a call back tomorrow to speak with someone who may be able to give me some idea of the wait. *sigh* I wanna move in now! :bawl:

ememdee19

Southern Beyotch
Re: Ripple Brothers

Originally posted by cariblue
built our home. In my opinion, they're the best builders in the area. I've heard horrible things about Select Homes. Hell, I've witnessed my neighbors problems with Select Homes.

:yeahthat: My mother had them build a house and she's had nothing but problems w/ them from the beginning. I highly recommend that you don't use Select Homes!

the_truth

Builders

Whoever you deal with, make sure they have absolutely no affiliation with a man by the name of Ben Potter. His company changes names as often as he changes his socks. When they built our house the were Winston Coproration, I guess that was the type of cigarettes on sale that week. Their houses are junk, and once built they will tell you to screw yourself if you have problems. Also just be advised if you do get screwed, no lawyer down here will help you with it, you will have to travel a good ways. Not trying to scare you, just trying to let you know of my bad experience.

arabianpony

We had our home built in 1988 by the amish that live up in Mechanicsville. They had basic plans and we modified them. From what I remeamber they were ok with timing, and the house was solid as a rock! We even had a huge tree fall on the roof around 1995 and the only damage was to tear up the gutters! I don't know if they are still there, but that was a really nice home.

SMC20

I'd check with PF Summers (Hanover Farms & Academy Hills in Leonardtown as well as Myrtle Point in California ~coming soon). I've dealt with them several times on transactions and they're a class act - from quality of work to communication and predictability on delivery timelines. (QBH's Forest Farms is nice too.)
Do understand though, in working with any builder there must be some level of understanding regarding timelines-to-delivery as weather plays an important role in achieving delivery dates. A good builder communicates well both before and throughout the process. Some small builders might do better-than decent work but may not be all that good at dealing with people or communicating with clients. They don't have anyone else to rely upon for communicating to clients so they're often times mistaken for being a bad builder when really, they're simply not a good communicator - and their clients need to be a little more proactive. A fault perhaps, but just as often you'll find a bigger builder that overlooks the needs and circumstances of their client as their eyes are already focused on the next client.
This is most likely the largest investment you'll make to date. You want to be sure your builder (and lender) is committed to keeping you up-to-date from beginning to end.
My experience as a lender with different builders has given me some insight from different perspectives. I would do some due-diligence and develop a list of 3-5 homebuilders who have not only been recommended but that you've seen their finished product and they may vary in size. Weigh the pro's & con's of each but be sure to not substantially compromise quality for price or you'll be back in this forum with your own horror story.

B

bhanks

Forrest Farm info

Well...I talked to Quality Built Homes about building in Forrest Farm and they told me some pretty sad news. They lots are still empty for a reason on the map (both in the packet and up on the model home wall). Apparently, the builder is only allowed to sell so many homes per month (because of county regulations)--let's say 4 homes/month. Right now there are over 100 people on the waiting list. (And he said that people never seem to want to drop off the list--they hang in there until they get it.) So, you're probably looking at being able to move in about two years from now in that subdivision. Now, he also told me to keep in mind that when your name does come up to the top of the list, you can't buy the property at the price you see in the packet now. Instead, you have to buy it at the new prices--whatever that may be. I have a feeling that we'd be seriously outpriced at that point. :bawl:

So, I asked him if there are any other subdivisions that are in the process of being built and he says that there's another one going in near Leonardtown--near the actual town. But, he said that that one won't happen for about another year as well. He didn't know the name of it or exactly where it would be located beause it was still in the works.

SMC20 Thanks for sending this info my way. I will definitely check them out.

Does anyone know if these builders have websites? It would be a great resource to have the list. I'll start:

QBH --- www.qbhi.com

cholo

¡Tengo una tarjeta verde!
Originally posted by bhanks
cholo Wow--a 6-9 month wait? Sheesh. Well, that wouldn't be a terrible thing I suppose--especially if it was where you really wanted to live. I'll give them a call and see what I can find out....I'll post back when I have info.

The 6-9 months is just waiting for lots in the new section to be available. When we went there in February, they told us it could be anywhere from 8 months to a year before they might be available...they really didn't know. I went by there the other day and saw one house going up in the new section, but they haven't paved the road back there yet. Of course, once you get the lot, figure on another 6 months or so for construction.

B

bhanks

Stanley Martin website

www.stanleymartin.com

Although, I don't see them building any planned communities down here...yet. (Looking forward to having them build in Wildewood!)

cholo

¡Tengo una tarjeta verde!
Re: Forrest Farm info

So, I asked him if there are any other subdivisions that are in the process of being built and he says that there's another one going in near Leonardtown--near the actual town. But, he said that that one won't happen for about another year as well. He didn't know the name of it or exactly where it would be located beause it was still in the works.

SMC20 Thanks for sending this info my way. I will definitely check them out.

Does anyone know if these builders have websites? It would be a great resource to have the list. I'll start:

QBH --- www.qbhi.com

Villages at Leonardtown has lots available and they move pretty fast. The development is on the corner of Rt 5 and 234. The builder is Marrick Homes, who has a good reputation, AFAIK. They are at http://www.marrickinc.com

Last edited:

Elle

Happy Camper!
Re: Forrest Farm info

So, you're probably looking at being able to move in about two years from now in that subdivision.

That really sucks. My grandfather's farm (where we live) backs up to the Forrest Farm subdivision. I love the area, its soo centrally located. If that's the area you are looking for there is a new subdivision in the works for at the end of St. John's Road (Broadcreek Subdivision). I think Abell’s Ridge is also sill building in the part that connects to 245. Like Rose said there is something proposed for the corner of Sotterly Rd & 235. And I think the one Pete mentioned is called Twin Ponds. Good luck!

Last edited:
B

bhanks

Thank you tys_mommy for all of those websites! Hopefully I'm not the only one who'll benefit. :biggrin:

Has anyone heard of FALLON HOMES? They seem to have pretty model homes, but I have never heard of them before. Here's their website address: http://www.fallonhomes.com

I'm assuming that they are a home builder that expects you to have a lot to build on rather than building in a "planned" community. Does anyone have experience choosing a lot? I'm thinking this might be another option to look at if it's really that difficult to get into Forrest Farm and the other new housing communities in the area.

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
There are going to be a couple hundred homes (in the $275,000 range and on up) built in Lexington Park off of Pegg Road in Westbury, Phase III. Land is now being cleared and mapped for utilities. Developers are Oakridge Homes, as well as The Artery Group. I have no info on either of these builders.

B

bhanks

I just called PF Summers and found out that they have a new development that will soon be advertised on their website. It's called Myrtle Point--in fact, I think someone here may have already mentioned that.

The problem with it? Well, if you work on the base and live in Calvert county, you're probably familiar with the back-up that occurs each evening at the corner of the 4 and the 235. (Everyone's trying to make a right hand turn at the 4 to get on the bridge.) The PF Summers sales rep told me that the new development will be right in the middle of that traffic jam! I'll try to describe it as best I can:

If you were making a right onto the 4 (as if you were going across the brige), there's a street called Patuxent Blvd that's on the left hand side. It's going to be down that street. Yikes! Can you imagine trying to make a left into that at certain hours of the day? (Or fighting your way home each evening?) Prices will start in the low-mid $300K. (i.e. between $310 and $320) and the lot sizes will only be between .25 and .33 of an acre. Wow, for $300!! Can you imagine? That just seems like a lot of money for so little acreage. (And for needing to fight traffic every evening!)

He suggested I check out Hanover Farms (which I have) and Academy Hills (which I've seen from a distance).

Someone mentioned an area called Medley's Neck. Can anyone tell me where that new development might be? Thanks again!

Someone mentioned an area called Medley's Neck. Can anyone tell me where that new development might be? Thanks again!

I know that there are 2 new developments back there, both fairly full and there is one going up right outside Medleys Neck on rt 5.
The area is nice and quiet. My parents live down there across from the church.

One of the neighborhoods is called Kingston I think, not sure what the other is called.

Elle

Happy Camper!

Medley's Neck is the area on the road that runs beside/behind Leonardtown Middle School