GOP Tax Plan

Hijinx

Not really. People aren't going to pick up and move because of state's tax rate. If that were true, FL would have the bulk of our population.

I have a lot of friends who moved to Delaware for that exact reason.
Perhaps they didn't move there while working, but upon retirement they hauled ass right over there.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
If that were true, it would've happened already.
It happens all the time. It'll happen for me when I retire, if not slightly before.

I've known two folks who retired to other states so far for the same reasons.

SamSpade

I've long been in favor of the Fair Tax but it faces at least one huge hurdle - the 16th Amendment.
I don't trust Congress to create a massive consumption tax unless the ability to tax income is completely taken from them.

My other misgivings are, of course - prebate fraud, and there WILL be a lot of that - and a gross underestimate of what the tax level needs to be.
I think the Fair Tax does however erase the idiotic distinction between what is set aside for Medicare and SS - because the "unified budget" thing is a joke already.
IOUs notwithstanding, it does all come from the same pile and it's high time to be honest about it.

Hijinx

If it weren't for family and friends and the fact that i was born and raised here in St. Mary's County I would be moving to Delaware and getting that big pay raise.

This_person

Not really. People aren't going to pick up and move because of state's tax rate. If that were true, FL would have the bulk of our population.

:shrug:

In a long list of things that make people choose, I have used tax rates of states as a part of my decision. No, it did not finalize my decision (not a deal breaker), but it made a difference nonetheless. I do not think my actions were outside the norm, as it was part of the question list that came from respected family and friends whose advice I sought in making my decision.

Just like safety is on the list of car-purchase decisions, it is not the singlular item on the list. Otherwise, everyone who bought a 2016 would have bought a Subaru Outback (or whatever is considered the safest car today).

This_person

I've long been in favor of the Fair Tax but it faces at least one huge hurdle - the 16th Amendment.
I don't trust Congress to create a massive consumption tax unless the ability to tax income is completely taken from them.

My other misgivings are, of course - prebate fraud, and there WILL be a lot of that - and a gross underestimate of what the tax level needs to be.
I think the Fair Tax does however erase the idiotic distinction between what is set aside for Medicare and SS - because the "unified budget" thing is a joke already.
IOUs notwithstanding, it does all come from the same pile and it's high time to be honest about it.

Couldn't agree more. A better distinction than a pre-bate would be to not tax food, clothing, or housing.

I wonder how quickly we would start forming a barter system if this were ever enacted. It certainly exists to some extent now, but I could easily see the guy who changes your oil saying to the guy who cleans your chimney to just clean his chimney for 3 free oil changes or something like that.

SamSpade

Couldn't agree more. A better distinction than a pre-bate would be to not tax food, clothing, or housing.

I wonder how quickly we would start forming a barter system if this were ever enacted. It certainly exists to some extent now, but I could easily see the guy who changes your oil saying to the guy who cleans your chimney to just clean his chimney for 3 free oil changes or something like that.

I went to a site that argues FOR it - but recognizes two things, and one is, for most of us, our taxes won't change a lot.
Another is that people will STILL try to skirt around taxes by claiming every single expense as a business expense and thus not paying the sales taxes.

As long as exceptions are made - there will always be fraudulent attempts to get the exception.

This_person

I went to a site that argues FOR it - but recognizes two things, and one is, for most of us, our taxes won't change a lot.
Another is that people will STILL try to skirt around taxes by claiming every single expense as a business expense and thus not paying the sales taxes.

As long as exceptions are made - there will always be fraudulent attempts to get the exception.

I would not give businesses an exception. Maybe - MAYBE - raw material to create an end-product. Not electricity, not the paperwork involved, etc., etc. Not the gas for the truck that does the delivery.
I think the harder part would be the "shelter" exception. Is your refrigerator part of "food and shelter"? What about alcohol? What about re-roofing - are the products AND services associated with that exempt, or just the products?

The details would suck, that's for sure. Even as a Christian, I would not expect my pastor or church to be exempt.

awpitt

Main Streeter
Yes I do, and don't be stupid.

I'm not being stupid. I asked a fair question. You lamented about us being allowed to deduct state and local taxes yet you just said you deducted state and local taxes. If you 're against it then why do you practice it? Either it's bad or it's good. Which is it?

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I'm not being stupid. I asked a fair question. You lamented about us being allowed to deduct state and local taxes yet you just said you deducted state and local taxes. If you 're against it then why do you practice it? Either it's bad or it's good. Which is it?

What valid tax "breaks" do you refuse to take on "moral" grounds?

awpitt

Main Streeter
It happens all the time. It'll happen for me when I retire, if not slightly before.

I've known two folks who retired to other states so far for the same reasons.

It happens all the time? Really?

If that were true, all of the "no income tax" states would be over flowing with all of the US population. That hasn't happened.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I have a lot of friends who moved to Delaware for that exact reason.
Perhaps they didn't move there while working, but upon retirement they hauled ass right over there.

I couldn't begin to count the number of family and friends that have moved out of MD to another state almost entirely due to MD's tax burden. Income taxes, yes but property taxes especially!

Last edited:

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
It happens all the time? Really?

If that were true, all of the "no income tax" states would be over flowing with all of the US population. That hasn't happened.

Again:
What stops them is employment, business or family ties. When those things disappear, it's easy.

And have you taken a look at Florida lately?

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
..... would be to not tax food, clothing, or housing.

:shrug:

why not ..... it is the majority of what people spend money on

you could not count on enough car / house / boat sales to support the country

if you were bringing home your full salary say 2000 a pay check instead of 1200 after taxes would you really care about a 10% Sales or VAT

awpitt

Main Streeter
As I suspected. Same as everyone else...me included. I do refuse to pay the Barrycare fine..but that's a separate issue.

But I haven't taken issue with any of my deductions as was claimed earlier. That's the difference that you missed.